Book Recommendations Thread

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Book Recommendations Thread

Postby Masquerade1412 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:24 pm

I haven't been digging through the dusty CAA filing cabinet of threads, but I was wondering if we could start a Book Recommendations Thread. (After all, there's one for Anime and another one for Manga. Why not books?)

I will start with my plea, and after 2 or 3 post, if anyone else needs help, we can all help them!

Books I've read (That I liked):

The Hunger Games Trilogy
Harry Potter Saga
Alex Rider Saga
Many, many, MANY Agatha Christie (Mostly Poirot's adventures)

What I'm looking for:

A book of moderate length (350-500 pages)
Sci-fi or "slice of life"
If there is romance, please let it be a subplot and not the focus of the story....
Memorable characters and a deep plotline that is easy to follow without being predictable.

Now. It's your move!
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Masquerade1412 (post: 1500596) wrote:Books I've read (That I liked):

The Hunger Games Trilogy
Harry Potter Saga
Alex Rider Saga
Many, many, MANY Agatha Christie (Mostly Poirot's adventures)

What I'm looking for:

A book of moderate length (350-500 pages)
Sci-fi or "slice of life"
If there is romance, please let it be a subplot and not the focus of the story....
Memorable characters and a deep plotline that is easy to follow without being predictable.

Now. It's your move!

The Clockwork Century series is a good one- the books themselves are short (they're novellas, not novels). The story is easy to follow, and momerable characters abound! Steampunk. *slight* romance subplot, but not in all the books, and never the main focus.

The Ember series also is pretty good. Altogether the books *might* be 1000 pages. There are only 4 books in the series. Sci-fi

The Maze Runner (I'm reading it right now, quite good), sci-fi

Ship Breaker is also a very good sci-fi book. Not necessarily a deep plotline.

Incarceron is also a good series (the first novel is called Incarceron, also). Sci-fi.
Atria35

Postby Edward » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:52 pm

Masquerade1412 (post: 1500596) wrote:A book of moderate length (350-500 pages)

Sci-fi

A good SF book I'd like to reccomend is Ender's Game. The next book in the series, Speaker for the Dead is also quite good, though it is very different from Ender's Game. The book I'm reading now, The Faded Sun Trilogy, is also very good. (It's 775 pages, but it's made up of three books, so each one is only about 250.)

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury is also very good. It's a collection of short stories.
Edward

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zhan.

Sci-fi, self contained, well written.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Masquerade1412 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:13 pm

Atria35 (post: 1500602) wrote:Incarceron is also a good series (the first novel is called Incarceron, also). Sci-fi.

I've actually read Incarceron, but the preview for the sequel kinda disturbed me. I got this "I've kinda already read this before" vibe. Is it worth the read?

Thanks Ed! I've heard some things about Ender's Game, so I'll pick it up sometime soon!

Thank you, MOI. I will pick it up sometime! (After I figure out what it is....:forehead:)

[SIZE="1"](I'm glad to see people actually replied!)[/SIZE]
Sincerely,
Masquerade1412

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Masquerade1412 (post: 1500735) wrote:I've actually read Incarceron, but the preview for the sequel kinda disturbed me. I got this "I've kinda already read this before" vibe. Is it worth the read?

[SIZE="1"](I'm glad to see people actually replied!)[/SIZE]

I haven't read the sequel, myself. I've heard it's different, but I don't know firsthand.
Atria35

Postby Saint Kevin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:00 pm

I vote you maybe distinguish between nonfiction and fiction. Good nonfiction to edifu you in the Lord:

The Heavenly Man
God's Smuggler
The Cost of Discipleship (Dietrich Bonhoffer)
The Christian in Complete Armor, by William Gurnall (often used as a reference ny Charles Spurgeon for his own spiritial growth and development)

Edifying Fiction:

Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis (if your name was Clive Staples, you tell people to call you "Jack" too).
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Atria35 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Saint Kevin (post: 1500779) wrote:I vote you maybe distinguish between nonfiction and fiction. Good nonfiction to edifu you in the Lord:

I think anyone who has used a library or been in a bookstore knows what non-fiction and fiction are. There's no blurry line between them. And while he did ask for non-fiction, the ones you named are most definitely not "slice of life" as he asked for.
Atria35

Postby Masquerade1412 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:14 am

Atria35 (post: 1500782) wrote:And while he did ask for non-fiction, the ones you named are most definitely not "slice of life" as he asked for.

....To tell the truth...I actually meant "Realistic Fiction"....I was using a manga term for it. Sorry for the mix-up! But thank you Kevin! I was thinking of getting something by C.S. Lewis. (And in response to your joke...:grin:)
Sincerely,
Masquerade1412

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 am

The Book Thief & Everlost. :)

I don't think they are objectable...But you might wish to look them up first. Depending on your tastes as well.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:39 pm

Atria35 wrote:I think anyone who has used a library or been in a bookstore knows what non-fiction and fiction are. There's no blurry line between them.

I think what he meant was separate lists of fiction and nonfiction in a given post.

Anyway (mine are all fiction) . . .

Glen Cook's The Black Company. (Series: 10 books in 4 omnibi)
Terry Pratchett's Discworld. (Series: 30+ books)
Robert E. Howard's Conan the Cimmerian. (Short stories/novellas)
Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves.
Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club.
Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.
Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely.
Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Masquerade1412 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:40 pm

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1500945) wrote:The Book Thief

Yesyesyesyesyes!!!

I love that book! I recommend it to everyone! (But I'll have to look up Everlost...:sweat:)
Sincerely,
Masquerade1412

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:01 pm

Masquerade1412 (post: 1500996) wrote:Yesyesyesyesyes!!!

I love that book! I recommend it to everyone! (But I'll have to look up Everlost...:sweat:)

Yeah! *virtual high five*

Ooh, he has another book out too... it has a few awkward scenes in it but it's all about how one person can make a difference. Have you read it? "I am the Messenger", I think... If not... Markus Zusak is awesome. I would recommend this title too.

But it does have awkward-ness in it.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:13 pm

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1501004) wrote:But it does have awkward-ness in it.

I do not know you, and therefore don't know what you mean when you say awkwardness. Please define?
Atria35

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:32 pm

Atria35 (post: 1501008) wrote:I do not know you, and therefore don't know what you mean when you say awkwardness. Please define?

Oh sorry. ^^]http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/i-am-messenger[/url].

Does that help? I tried to put my awkward-ness in words... and failed.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Masquerade1412 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:55 pm

I did try that book....I didn't like it at all. I was kinda expecting something like "Book Thief" but.......Nothing at all like it! (By the way, HI!)
Sincerely,
Masquerade1412

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:00 pm

^I totally understand. If you went in with the idea that it was like The Book Thief.... it could be a painful experience.

I didn`t know what to expect.... and maybe that was why I thought it was so interesting. :)

(Hello back!) :D
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:40 pm

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1501012) wrote:Oh sorry. ^^]http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/i-am-messenger[/url].

Does that help? I tried to put my awkward-ness in words... and failed.

Yes, that does, a lot. Thank you. I was thinking that it wasn't well-written or something.

But that book looks like it would be up my alley. *puts on to-read list*
Atria35

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Atria35 (post: 1501077) wrote:Yes, that does, a lot. Thank you. I was thinking that it wasn't well-written or something.

But that book looks like it would be up my alley. *puts on to-read list*

Oh, he's an excellent author. :)

I hope you enjoy it. When you finish, please let me know what you think of the ending.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Masquerade1412 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:09 pm

I suppose that now this thread has actually gotten off of the ground, it is time for someone else to have a turn!

If anyone needs to find a new book to read, please ask to your heart's consent!
Sincerely,
Masquerade1412

Postby Edward » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I'd like someone to reccomend some books for me. I'm looking for good dark fantasy that isn't romance and doesn't have Twilight-esque vampires. Something like The Lord of the Rings as told by Edgar Allan Poe. Which means I would prefer it to not be urban fantasy. And I don't particularly care how long it is.

Any truly strange science fiction or fantasy reccomendations like in Riona's thread would be nice too, but they don't have to be Christian fantasy or sf.
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Edward (post: 1501299) wrote:I'd like someone to reccomend some books for me. I'm looking for good dark fantasy that isn't romance and doesn't have Twilight-esque vampires. Something like The Lord of the Rings as told by Edgar Allan Poe. Which means I would prefer it to not be urban fantasy. And I don't particularly care how long it is.

Any truly strange science fiction or fantasy reccomendations like in Riona's thread would be nice too, but they don't have to be Christian fantasy or sf.

Dark Fantasy? One of my favorite series is Magic Time. It IS Urban Fantasy, but it is nothing like Twilight, has nothing to do with vampires, is so very different from 95% of urban fantasy that I highly recommend you give it a shot anyway.

Name of the Wind- the first book in a series. Lord of the Rings-esque, not particularly dark but brilliant.

On Stranger Tides is also quite good- it has pirates. Do you mind that?

Anything by HP Lovecraft is a must-read. And the Abhorsen series might interest you.

EDIT: Gah! Totally forgot- the Monster Blood Tattoo series is great dark fantasy, even if it's a YA series. Same for Abarat, much darker than your average fantasy- don't be fooled by how it starts out.
Atria35

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I second the Abhorsen series.

It's hard to think of non-urban fantasy tales... So for darker series...
The Gone by Michael Grant novels are a pretty messed up urban sci-fi series... (However, his editor did a poor job of fixing typos.)
Holly Black's White Cat is about fantasy crime families... Not so much dark as interesting.
The Devouring is a quick read in urban fantasy horror.

But the above ARE influenced by a romance subplot. And are young adult.

I don't know if they are quite what you are looking for though...... So I guess I'll link them?
White Cat: http://www.amazon.ca/White-Cat-Curse-Workers-Book/dp/1416963960
Gone: http://www.amazon.ca/Gone-Michael-Grant/dp/0061448788/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314915061&sr=1-1
The Devouring:http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3374819-the-devouring

I found White Cat really good.
Gone is messed (and quite gory). Same goes for The Devouring.

And they may be questionable, depending on your tastes.

Sorry if I wasn't much help. ^^;
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Edward » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Atria35 (post: 1501314) wrote:Dark Fantasy? One of my favorite series is Magic Time. It IS Urban Fantasy, but it is nothing like Twilight, has nothing to do with vampires, is so very different from 95% of urban fantasy that I highly recommend you give it a shot anyway.

Name of the Wind- the first book in a series. Lord of the Rings-esque, not particularly dark but brilliant.

On Stranger Tides is also quite good- it has pirates. Do you mind that?

Anything by HP Lovecraft is a must-read. And the Abhorsen series might interest you.

EDIT: Gah! Totally forgot- the Monster Blood Tattoo series is great dark fantasy, even if it's a YA series. Same for Abarat, much darker than your average fantasy- don't be fooled by how it starts out.

I've read The Name of the Wind and loved it. And yes, pirates are good. I've also read Sabriel and really liked it. I tried reading Lirael but couldn't get really get into it. Maybe if I tried reading it again I'd like it more.

[quote="A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1501344)"]I second the Abhorsen series.

It's hard to think of non-urban fantasy tales... So for darker series...
The Gone by Michael Grant novels are a pretty messed up urban sci-fi series... (However, his editor did a poor job of fixing typos.)
Holly Black's White Cat is about fantasy crime families... Not so much dark as interesting.
The Devouring is a quick read in urban fantasy horror.

But the above ARE influenced by a romance subplot. And are young adult.

I don't know if they are quite what you are looking for though...... So I guess I'll link them?
White Cat: http://www.amazon.ca/White-Cat-Curse-Workers-Book/dp/1416963960
Gone: http://www.amazon.ca/Gone-Michael-Grant/dp/0061448788/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314915061&sr=1-1
The Devouring:http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3374819-the-devouring

I found White Cat really good.
Gone is messed (and quite gory). Same goes for The Devouring.

And they may be questionable, depending on your tastes.

Sorry if I wasn't much help. ^^]

Thanks for the 'recs both of you. I'll write them all down and see if I can find them anywhere.
Edward

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Eh, the thing about H.P. Lovecraft is some of his stuff feels like you've read the same story multiple times. And a few of them are just crap. Still, he's pretty good overall.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Kaori » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 am

Edward (post: 1501299) wrote:I'd like someone to reccomend some books for me. I'm looking for good dark fantasy that isn't romance and doesn't have Twilight-esque vampires. Something like The Lord of the Rings as told by Edgar Allan Poe. Which means I would prefer it to not be urban fantasy. And I don't particularly care how long it is.

It’s not extremely dark (only somewhat), but the Darkangel trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce is an excellent series. It does have a romance element particularly in the first book, but it’s not heavy-handed and the way the relationship is handled is most definitely not your typical feel-good romance. The whole series has one of the more original worlds that I’ve come across in fantasy, and although it is YA fiction it offers no easy answers to anything. It’s hard for me to talk about what makes this series so great without spoiling the end, so I guess I’ll just say that the author makes some artistic decisions that are impressively brave.

To second what was said in Riona's thread, George MacDonald has some short stories that can be quite unsettling, like “The Wise Womanâ€
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 am

Kaori (post: 1501566) wrote:No urban fantasy means you wouldn’t want to read Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere, I guess, but you might try giving Coraline a shot, if you aren’t familiar with Gaiman already.

Ooo- I'll second that and add The Graveyard Book, also by Gaiman.
Atria35

Postby Edward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Wow, so many reccomendations! It may take a while to get through them all but I'll try. Thanks a bunch. And yes, I have read one of Neil Gaiman books. Stardust. I really enjoyed it, and would like to read some more of his books.
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:40 am

dean13burt (post: 1501781) wrote:The book I have read and I liked is Spider-Man. A I also read the Harry potter books.

So... you would like some recommendations?
The Name of the Wind is great fantasy, but it does take a little while to get started. It's a little more accessable than Lord of the Rings.

Artemis Fowl, the City of Ember series, Ranger's Apprentice, Abarat, and the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series would also be good choices.
Atria35

Postby Riona » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:31 am

My favorite dark fantasy without vampires:

Glen Cook's Black Company series...though the first four books are better than the later ones. We're talking about A+ books as opposed to B+ books.

I also really like the Abhorsen books. Also try Tanith Lee's Unicorn books. Both of these are YA, and therefore suitable for everyone, though still pretty dark. Some of Tanith Lee's other books are very disturbing and very adult in all senses of the word, though some of them I also think are very good.

I know everyone is just sick of vampires now (me too!) but there are actually some terrific vampire books that were written before the current craze. For non-romancey vampires with a kind of SF feel, try Barbara Hambly's Those Who Hunt the Night (1988) and Travelling With the Dead (1995). I just finished the new one, Blood Maidens, and wow, these are great books. Robin McKinley's Sunshine is also terrific.
Riona

Next

Return to Book Corner