Will the anti-Harry Potter sentiment die down?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Will the anti-Harry Potter sentiment die down?

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 am

Now that we have the final Harry Potter movie in theaters, I'm wondering if anyone here thinks the negativity towards the Harry Potter franchise will eventually die down. I don't think it will. C.S. Lewis's books still have their detractors, for instance.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:50 am

I might exist for a long time but I think it has already died down considerably.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:34 am

It's died down a lot since it first started. There will always be some people that don't care for/approve of it, just like there are people who still disapprove of rock music, but overall it will always be a minority.
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:48 am

Die down? Yes. Ever fully stop? No.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:47 am

Die down? Yes. Die out? No.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:09 am

It's bound to die down because the series itself is starting to die down. It will never go away, though. Like someone mentioned, even 60 years later there are still people who think rock n' roll is Satan's music and that the electric guitar was forged in the fires of Hell itself.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Midori » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:22 am

As people have said, yes it'll decrease, but no it'll never disappear. With enough people, nothing will go away forever. It'll undergo exponential decay, but never reach zero.
Midori

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:37 am

Midori (post: 1498564) wrote:As people have said, yes it'll decrease, but no it'll never disappear. With enough people, nothing will go away forever. It'll undergo exponential decay, but never reach zero.

yea *cough*goldenratio*cough*
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby ABlipinTime » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Rock, your poll is biased.
No, I do not misunderstand the content of Harry Potter. No, I will not stop disapproving of it.

And what do you mean "die down"? Do you mean people will stop talking about it? or do you mean that people won't care? or do you mean fewer people will find reasons wrong with it?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:51 pm

I think that as long as people haven't actually read the books, some people will never stop thinking it's evil. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:25 pm

It will never go away. It has already died down significantly, but there is a portion of Christianity that will call anything not specifically labeled as their brand of Christianity as "evil". There are blatant and well known Christian lessons in Harry Potter, and the author herself is a Christian. When asked, she said,

Yes, I am, which seems to offend the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God. Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what's coming in the books."

This has been known for years. If it didn't change their minds then, it probably won't now, or anytime soon.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:30 pm

I've recently started reading the books. I checked out the first from my county library about two days ago.

As one who went to a very conservative private school and grew up hearing that Harry Potter was "evil" to the point that the books were banned from campus, I can honestly say that the bias against it seems to have died down a lot. Even some of the people who used to be super against it from my school are starting to get into it.

There remain some people who dislike it, say it's evil, etc. People like that will probably always be around, but exist in a minority. The Narnia books might have been challenged, but overall, I don't think they're frowned upon now, especially in Christian circles. "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" was actually required reading at my school.

Atria35 (post: 1498540) wrote:It's died down a lot since it first started. There will always be some people that don't care for/approve of it, just like there are people who still disapprove of rock music, but overall it will always be a minority.

Perfectly stated.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ADXC » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Why should I care about Harry Potter? I'm not saying I hate it or dislike it, but I am very indifferent towards it.

For me, I'm not really interested in the series because I'm not into magic fantasy stuff. Not because I think it's bad. Honestly, if it was, then a lot of people at my CHRISTIAN university would be in trouble. XDD They watch HP movies every so often in the lobby.
ADXC

Postby rocklobster » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:39 am

ABlipinTime (post: 1498661) wrote:Rock, your poll is biased.
No, I do not misunderstand the content of Harry Potter. No, I will not stop disapproving of it.

And what do you mean "die down"? Do you mean people will stop talking about it? or do you mean that people won't care? or do you mean fewer people will find reasons wrong with it?

I do not mean to offend. If you disapprove of it, that's your business. If I've offended you, I am sorry. Would you like to take this PM? I totally understand all the arguments against the books, but I disagree. I think it is perfectly all right to read them and that Rowling is not attempting to lead anyone astray. Let me put it this way: if the books were evil, [spoiler]Would love be Voldemort's one weakness?[/spoiler]
Have you even read the books? Your argument has no value unless you've actually read them yourself.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Midori » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Hey, I don't want to let this thread go into an attack against people who object to the HP series on religious grounds. They are being cautious and we need to respect those we disagree with. Rock is handling it fairly well in asking for it to be taken to PMs. A discussion of the religious connotations of books is alright for the TD forum if it is done carefully and respectfully, but the Book Corner should not be weighed down with such difficult subjects.

And to tell you the truth, since this thread has nowhere else to go at this point but there, I'm going to close it. This is a dangerous topic for an interdenominational community, and the OP's question has been answered.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Midori

Return to Book Corner