Any Sandman fans?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Any Sandman fans?

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm currently ready to start book 5, and I'm loving this series! Anyone else here ever read the Sandman graphic novels?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Oh yes I've read them. All out of order, but I've read them. The Kindly Ones was the first one I'd read, and it sure made an impression even though I had no idea what was going on. And so far I've only read two of the Death spinoffs, High Cost of Living and At Death's Door.

Just finished rereading the graphic novel of Sandman: The Dream Hunters illustrated by P. Craig Russell. Beautiful stuff.
Maledicte

Postby Kaori » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Yes, I've read them. They have more mature content in every respect than I usually prefer to read, but nevertheless, it's an excellent series.

Maledicte (post: 1492062) wrote:Just finished rereading the graphic novel of Sandman: The Dream Hunters illustrated by P. Craig Russell. Beautiful stuff.

Whereas I happen to own The Sandman: The Dream Hunters, illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano--which is also quite beautiful.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes, I've read all of the Sandman series (I think there are 12). I enjoyed aspects of the series very much and it was more intelligent, original and interesting than most comics but there was also a lot more mature content than I'm used too. I'm in awe of Gaiman's imagination; I just wish he left out the highly sexual content and disturbing occult practices (which are seen mostly in the positive light).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 am

I love his imagination ^_^ I have all the books but I haven't read them all. I have those 4 giant, Absolute Sandman volumes and I've only read the first book all the way through. So I have 3 volumes left :D The books are gorgeous though. Not a huge fan of comics at all but I do like this series but it still takes me a bit to get through them.

There's been some mature content but didn't seem like that excessive yet. Guess that's later on... but yes I do love this series so far. Great imagination. Love the imagination. Wish more people would just let loose like this... I'm gonna have to get the Dream Hunters one eventually... I think that's being released as part of a Absolute Sandman Vol 5 here in a couple months so I'll wait for that... *checks Amazon* Ahh, yes it is... Vol 5 will have the two copies of Dream Hunters mentioned above and Sandman: Endless Nights...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:02 am

I am. I'd have to be, even if I didn't enjoy it, because this is one of the first mainstream western comics that had a full story arc and a satisfactory ending. Most of the time you only got that in limited series or with a smaller publisher.

Haven't read many of the related materials, or the Lucifer spinoff. Anyone have any thoughts about the quality of those? I approved of Gaiman's contract ending the series, so I'm skeptical of efforts to extend its popularity.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:13 pm

I'd also like to add that the Sandman's quality of art is very inconsistent. Some stories have terrible, poorly-drawn art, others something servicable to good. Only a few of the stories have anything you would call great art.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Kaori (post: 1492066) wrote:Whereas I happen to own The Sandman: The Dream Hunters, illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano--which is also quite beautiful.
Oh don't I know it. I would have been reading that one, but the library didn't have it. I'll take what I can get. :P
uc pseudonym wrote:Haven't read many of the related materials, or the Lucifer spinoff. Anyone have any thoughts about the quality of those? I approved of Gaiman's contract ending the series, so I'm skeptical of efforts to extend its popularity.

I enjoyed Death: The High Cost of Living, mostly because she's one of my favorite characters. The story is very low-key but the art is lovely. It was a nice intimate piece with the character. At Death's Dooris a lot more zany, so if you want a more irreverent take on the Sandman franchise it's worth a look. Can't speak for Lucifer, I never bothered with it mostly because I found Lucifer more interesting as a [spoiler]lounge pianist[/spoiler] than whatever else they had him doing (no offense to Mike Carey).

There's also Sandman: Endless Nights with each story focusing on a different one of the Endless. It's about half-hits and half-misses (my faves are Dream's, Death's, and Desire's stories).
Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I'd also like to add that the Sandman's quality of art is very inconsistent. Some stories have terrible, poorly-drawn art, others something servicable to good. Only a few of the stories have anything you would call great art.

Very true. I had a hard time going back to the first book when I'd started off with The Kindly Ones. While the writing is always solid, the stories drawn by P. Craig Russell, Charles Vess and Marc Hempel are a feast for the eyes IMO. Jill Thompson is also quite good, though I prefer her watercolor work.
Maledicte

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:03 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1492209) wrote:I'd also like to add that the Sandman's quality of art is very inconsistent. Some stories have terrible, poorly-drawn art, others something servicable to good. Only a few of the stories have anything you would call great art.

Yes... some is pretty bad... well it's not bad exactly, more like unfinished. It's like a sketch artist just sketched some ideas and just left it at that and someone else colored it in. And they needed better inking too.

That said, I do actually like it... gives it a more abstract feel so it works. I liked the changing artists and stuff. Just gives the whole thing this unusual feel.

But it is no Jim Lee that's for sure and none would get any kind of an award from me for their art. But it grew on me. I think if it was all just one persons bad artwork, I would have hated it but they keep it interesting changing it up a lot. If they kept one artist, they would have needed a great one or the art would have bored me quick with some of those crappy jobs.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:31 am

Yeah, it's kinda hard to top Jim Lee or Alex Ross. But that would've been harder to keep a schedule with. Especially Alex Ross.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:10 am

Although the art is inconsistent I think it adds to the series. It makes everything somewhat (unintentionally) disjointed, but that only ads to the mood. Take the second book, The Doll's House. It had many artists working on every different issue (mostly because of scheduling and such) and each rendering of the characters is slightly different from the other, but that only makes it feel more dreamlike.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:25 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1492287) wrote:...and each rendering of the characters is slightly different from the other, but that only makes it feel more dreamlike.

I concur. :thumb:
Maledicte

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:20 am

And considering the content, that makes sense. My favorite Endless family member so far is Death. If the Grim Reaper really looks and acts like her, then maybe the afterlife really won't be so bad. I'd rather meet a kind, perky girl than a creepy dude with a scythe.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 am

True, me too but the Bible says that Death came with Sin into the world, so the Grim Reaper portrayl is probably more accurate. The concept of the Endless was my favourite element of the series. My favourite art-style was in the last volume - The Wake.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to Book Corner