The Hunger Games

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Hunger Games

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 pm

So, a friend of mine is letting me borrow it. I'm about halfway through the first book. It started off kinda slow, but I still liked it from the beginning... It's gradually getting better, and now I think It's addicting. At this point, I'd say it's among the best young adult books I've ever found...

What do you guys think?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:12 am

I think that the title made me want to go get some food.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:59 am

I don't care for it. The prose is a little too direct and blunt, and there are some *very* obvious mistakes (you don't use the weapons in the way she's describing, you can't put a sleeping bag into a tree like that, and considering that she's put into a playing field that has no large bodies of water it's hilarious she hides in a willow tree.... which only grow by large amounts of water!)
Atria35

Postby Edward » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:09 am

I've read the first two books, but like Atria said, the prose is too blunt, and I don't really care about the characters or the story. I have no motivation whatsoever to read Mockingjay, or whatever the title of the third book is.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Atria35 (post: 1489679) wrote:I don't care for it. The prose is a little too direct and blunt, and there are some *very* obvious mistakes (you don't use the weapons in the way she's describing, you can't put a sleeping bag into a tree like that, and considering that she's put into a playing field that has no large bodies of water it's hilarious she hides in a willow tree.... which only grow by large amounts of water!)

I did catch the sleeping bag thing and wondered how that was possible. The other two I didn't catch so much, but I'm only halfway through the first book, so my opinion could still change... possibly.

I'm still liking it right now, though. Even if my opinion changes, I'll probably read until the end. A series has to be *terrible* for me to not want to finish it.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:35 pm

I read the first book and liked it enough, but I didn't think it was spectacular or anything. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to finish.
Atria35 (post: 1489679) wrote:I don't care for it. The prose is a little too direct and blunt, and there are some *very* obvious mistakes (you don't use the weapons in the way she's describing, you can't put a sleeping bag into a tree like that, and considering that she's put into a playing field that has no large bodies of water it's hilarious she hides in a willow tree.... which only grow by large amounts of water!)

I didn't have a problem with the prose; it didn't really strike me as unusual in any way. But I feel dumb, not catching any of those errors. XD;

I'd kind of like to finish the series, but I've heard the finale is lame. Can anyone tell me if this is true?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:02 pm

[quote="FllMtl Novelist (post: 1489794)"]
I didn't have a problem with the prose]

Heh. Maybe I've been hanging around too many people who play with weapons, then! I didn't catch the weapons until later in the series, near the end, but the willow tree I caught onto right away- I went to school where willow trees grew..... but only near the Bio pond. Get further away than 20-30 feet from that water, and they were nonexistant.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:18 pm

So, I finished the first book the other night...

...I really liked it. XD I'm about a chapter through "Catching Fire". Would be further if I didn't decide to read a Vampire Diaries book along with it.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Esoteric » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Never read any of these books, but there are many species of willow and not all require a lake (although they all do require abundant ground water). In southern California, willows grow in some of the seasonal river beds (which are surface dry 8-11 months of the year but wet several feet down) and they are very bush-like (you could certainly hide in one).

Again, never read the books though. I don't suppose any characters chewed on the willow leaves for the salicylic acid (aspirin) in them? That would impress me.
Esoteric

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Esoteric (post: 1506452) wrote:Never read any of these books, but there are many species of willow and not all require a lake (although they all do require abundant ground water). In southern California, willows grow in some of the seasonal river beds (which are surface dry 8-11 months of the year but wet several feet down) and they are very bush-like (you could certainly hide in one).

Again, never read the books though. I don't suppose any characters chewed on the willow leaves for the salicylic acid (aspirin) in them? That would impress me.

Nope, no mention of that. Though that should have been put in there since quite a few of the characters get injuries that asprin would have helped! And that's one of the most well-known holistic remedies out there, so it's not like it would be as unreal as willows in ..... basically, deserts. Though the groundwater thing makes that more plausable.
Atria35

Postby Popyman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:52 pm

I've got the box set underneath my bed, I've only read the first one so far. It's good, but Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale blow it away.
Popyman

Postby xxEverBluexx » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Atria35 (post: 1489801) wrote:Heh. Maybe I've been hanging around too many people who play with weapons, then! I didn't catch the weapons until later in the series, near the end, but the willow tree I caught onto right away- I went to school where willow trees grew..... but only near the Bio pond. Get further away than 20-30 feet from that water, and they were nonexistant.

There was at least one willow tree on my old block, and there weren't any bodies of water around...
xxEverBluexx

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:47 am

Oh wow! People are posting here again. Cool! :)

But anyway, I finished reading the second book awhile back. It was pretty good. I thought it was better than the first one. I haven't started the third yet, though. I want to finish another book before starting that one.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Hawkeye53 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:16 pm

I've read all of them and I really enjoyed the first two, but hated the third one. The prose didn't bother me at all, granted I'm pretty blunt myself, so that may be why it didn't bother me. XD

The third one just really went in a direction I really didn't want it to take. I read the book in one night -- which is the fastest I've ever read a book of that length -- but it wasn't so much because I was really into it, but because I kept hoping it would get better. While I understood that the situations the characters were put in could drastically change a person, I didn't really like the way they changed. I don't know, I tend to like sort of dark things, but there are certain things that I draw a line at, and it started edging a bit too much towards that line for my liking.

I'm not trying to make you want to read the book less, I'm just saying the third book seems to be either you like it or you hate it -- I very rarely meet someone in between. I have several friends from school and church who love the last book, it just wasn't to my liking.
Hawkeye53

Postby ebonyrose » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Hmm.

I read the first one all in one night when I was off my brain on flu medicine. I liked it well enough, but it wasn't like I dragged my fluey butt over to a library to get the next two. I found the drama between Katniss and ManCrush (I don't remember his name. O_o ) a little irritating, and the only character I actually cared for was Rue. Probably because my emotions are easily manipulated.

I'm not trying to make you want to read the book less, I'm just saying the third book seems to be either you like it or you hate it -- I very rarely meet someone in between. I have several friends from school and church who love the last book, it just wasn't to my liking.

Challenge accepted. I'm rather lukewarm about the series so far, so I'm sure I'll fall in between love and hate on the last one, if I get around to reading it. :3
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
:bang:
Hehe... that's way too amusing...
ebonyrose

Postby Neane » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Popyman (post: 1506464) wrote:I've got the box set underneath my bed, I've only read the first one so far. It's good, but Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale blow it away.

This.
Neane

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm up to the final book. I thought the pacing was pretty good and I'm really curious to see how the movie fares.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TWWK » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 pm

xxEverBluexx (post: 1506515) wrote:There was at least one willow tree on my old block, and there weren't any bodies of water around...

Just to put a stamp on this, I had a gigantic willow tree in my backyard growing up and I lived...in the middle of a desert. I quite literally had desert bats and roadrunners living just a few houses down (and sometimes in my yard) and tumbleweeds blowing by on my street.

As for the book - I just finished it. In one sentence, I would say that The Hunger Games is underwhelming in character development and plot resolutions, but it's compelling. As I read it, I kept thinking how poorly the writing compared to the other book I'm reading, by Kazuo Ishigiro, even keeping the audience of each in mind; but I flew through the last hundred pages and am eager to being the next book.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:46 pm

I liked the Hunger Games, despite it's flaws. It was easy enough to inhale in a short amount of time. I agree with rocklobster; I want to see how the movie turns out.

I did not like the ending of the third book. And I enjoyed the first one the most.

[spoiler] Killing off Prim was rather.... unnecessary. I wasn't able to develop any attachment to her, so the ending wasn't earthshaking. If Katniss would have died, this may have been different, as I think she got the most development as a character. [/spoiler]

And I enjoyed the first one the most. I agree with TWWK... the books are compelling. So yes, I did enjoy this series.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Winry » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1528065) wrote:I liked the Hunger Games, despite it's flaws. It was easy enough to inhale in a short amount of time. I agree with rocklobster] Killing off Prim was rather.... unnecessary. I wasn't able to develop any attachment to her, so the ending wasn't earthshaking. If Katniss would have died, this may have been different, as I think she got the most development as a character. [/spoiler]

I agree with you about the ending of the third book.
[spoiler] Prim's death was unnecessary. It felt like the only reason for killing her off was to solve the problem of who Katniss would end up with in the end (at least it did to me.) I just thought the ending was depressing... not that every ending has to be a happy one but it just didn't work for me in this series. [/spoiler]

So, overall it wasn't the best writing in the world (it was interesting to read in present tense though), but I still enjoyed the series.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Lynna » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 am

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1528065) wrote:[spoiler] Killing off Prim was rather.... unnecessary. I wasn't able to develop any attachment to her, so the ending wasn't earthshaking. If Katniss would have died, this may have been different, as I think she got the most development as a character. [/spoiler]

I respectfully disagree.
[spoiler]While we weren't very attached to Prim, Katniss was. Her death meant a lot to Katniss. And who was responsible for Prim's death? Not Snow, but Coin. It opened Katniss's eyes as to how evil Coin actually was, causing her to kill Coin instead of Snow, and saving the country from being in the hands of a maniac just as bad as Snow.[/spoiler]
Although I was at first dissapointing that the ending wasn't happy, upon further reflection, I realised that while it wasn't a happily-ever-after ending, it FIT. I don't think a happy ending would work for this book. Also, I don't think its completely unhappy.
My Explanation:
[Spoiler]Okay, so for one, I have to admit I wanted Peeta and Katniss together: I thought it was the better coupling by far. And although they were having to cope with all that they've been through, they were finding ways to heal and to recover from their experiences. Also, they were free. Even though it cost them so much,their children can live in safety, which I thought was partly symbolised by her daughter singing the meadow song. Remember how she always said she never wanted to have children for fear of them being taken by the Games? Now she doesn't have to go through that.[/spoiler]
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Winry (post: 1528069) wrote:I agree with you about the ending of the third book.
[spoiler] Prim's death was unnecessary. It felt like the only reason for killing her off was to solve the problem of who Katniss would end up with in the end (at least it did to me.) I just thought the ending was depressing... not that every ending has to be a happy one but it just didn't work for me in this series. [/spoiler]

I am happy I'm not alone in this. :)

Lynna, I guess we will have to agree to disagree, though I do see what you mean. :P I do like the series, but because I'm just disappointed in the ending, I don't like it as much as I could.. It sort of let me down. :(

Lynna (post: 1528136) wrote:My Explanation:
[Spoiler]Okay, so for one, I have to admit I wanted Peeta and Katniss together: I thought it was the better coupling by far. And although they were having to cope with all that they've been through, they were finding ways to heal and to recover from their experiences. Also, they were free. Even though it cost them so much,their children can live in safety, which I thought was partly symbolised by her daughter singing the meadow song. Remember how she always said she never wanted to have children for fear of them being taken by the Games? Now she doesn't have to go through that.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler]I completely 100% agree to Katniss ending up with Peeta (am I the only one who things of food of wants to stretch out the syllables? XD) over Gale. [/spoiler]

Also, Lynna's one point reminded me of what my mom said when I told her the synopsis. 'The author must not have kids, because how could a mother imagine something like that....' or something along the lines of that. And she does have kids. ADULT FEAR. O.o
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Just read The Hunger Games. I found it enjoyable, because it's been a while since I encountered a can't-put-it-down read.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:57 pm

Just finished reading the final book today. (I got all three last friday.)
I actually really enjoyed the hunger games series.
I liked Katniss (up until the third book, where I don't hate her, but I don't like her nearly as much.) and I loved Peeta. His character anyway. I thought Haymitch was okay and there were a few other characters I liked as well, but I can't remember how to spell their names. (I ended up disliking Gale immensely near the middle of Mockingjay. And it never left, I still hate his character.)

The plot was a little lagging sometimes, and to be honest, the last book depressed me a bit. But I really loved The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. (I like CF the best.) So I'm excited to see them all made into movies since I know they'll work better that way.
(Some of the flaws won't be so grating if they're shown from other characters point of view, not just Katniss'.)

[spoiler]It was awful for me, having to read all that crap with Katniss and Gale kissing so much in the 3rd book, since I don't see how anyone would want her to end up with anyone but Peeta following the 2nd book. And Katniss was totally unpredictable with her emotions in the finale, one minute I think she's decided on Gale again for some stupid food/hunting and family related reason and the next I think she's actually in love with Peeta. (Which does turn out to be true.)[/spoiler]
[spoiler] But I don't like the fact that the most positive part of the book (The very, very ending.) is like only five pages long, while Katniss being depressed and ignoring the outside world is like twenty. (I wasn't expecting a super happy ending, but they could have made the happy part between her and Peeta longer then, (I don't know), a page! I mean my favorite character, Peeta, is half crazy for most the book, so it would have been nice to see him as his kind, caring self again, if just for a page or two. Not that I didn't like him telling Katniss off a bit when she sees him a 2nd time, I think she deserved it, after what she'd put him through (And Gale too, to a certain extent,) and how she still wouldn't just admit she loves him and not Gale. (It was totally obvious to the reader.) I feel that Peeta kind of grew as a character a bit, even if he was half crazy some of the time.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I also thought that killing off Prim was a bit much, but I was more upset about the guy from district 4 being killed. I hated him at first but by the end of it all, I genuinely liked him. So his quick, stupid death just made me wonder why Suzuanne Collins decided to do it. Shock value maybe? But then Prim was just as shocking, so I don't see why she couldn't have spared one of them. [/spoiler]
If I rated them I'd give The Hunger Games a 8/10, Catching Fire a 9/10 and Mockingjay a 7/10.

If you've bothered to read my entire post, you have my thanks, and may the odds ever be in your favor. :-^o^-:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Winry » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Actually...
[spoiler] I was rooting for her to end up with Gale. I knew it wasn't going to happen by the end of the first book though. I actually thought Gale was likely to die in the last book. Peeta's character was ok. I think him going crazy in the third book was a good twist because it made him a less predictable.

Finnick's death was horrible. There wasn't a lot of shock value because you almost didn't realize it happened because of how quick it happened. What about poor Anne? =(
[/spoiler]
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Lynna » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Winry (post: 1529412) wrote:Actually...
[spoiler] I was rooting for her to end up with Gale. I knew it wasn't going to happen by the end of the first book though. I actually thought Gale was likely to die in the last book. Peeta's character was ok. I think him going crazy in the third book was a good twist because it made him a less predictable.

Finnick's death was horrible. There wasn't a lot of shock value because you almost didn't realize it happened because of how quick it happened. What about poor Anne? =(
[/spoiler]

I'm sad to say I never liked Gale and Katniss together
[Spoiler]He was always so angry and bitter and Katniss was as well...I understand there was a reason for it, but I just don't think it made the two of them very good for each other. Actually, I wanted Gale and Madge to end up together. I mean, you had to REALLY read in between the lines to see anything, but I couldn't help getting the feeling they would be good together. All my hopes were ended when she died v.v
I agree 100% about Finnick. Of all people, why him? I didn't like him at first, but then I was won over, and then he DIED. I was very angry indeed![/Spoiler]

@Angelic Totoro I read it ALL!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Just finished Catching Fire. I don't get Mockingjay in the mail until tomorrow. Boo! I want to finish it! But so far, I'm loving it. Hunger Games rated 8/10, and Catching Fire has to be 9, 9.5. I really enjoyed it.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Hyemi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:27 am

I'm not into animes or reading manga but "Hunger Games".. never know this but I've saw this for the second time just for today..sounds like "Hunger Games" introducing itself to me :XD::-^o^-:
Hyemi

Postby Maokun » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 am

I actually believe the prose is ok: first-person narrative is always more difficult to write and read and this one is narrated by a less-than-gentle protagonist who's infuriatingly slow when it comes to dealing with emotions. However the book does make liberal use of plot devices and wave-of-a-wand solutions and it is indeed a bit rough around the borders. Otherwise fine, and an entertaining, easy read that covered the day I had to wait after reserving Game of Thrones.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Mei-Mei » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:31 pm

I like them. However, I would have to say that it had a very unsatisfactory ending for me (when it said that Gale went off to become an actor or something, I had a 'WHAT THE HECK!?' look on my face). Katniss definitely annoys me in some instances as well. She throws a temper tantrum when Peeta says he loves her on live television, but come on... you have to be stupid to freak out over something like that and hurt your only friend. Besides, I don't see what she's complaining about. :P

Still, other parts are really touching. I'm not going to go into much detail, since I don't want to ruin it for people. I kind of wish it wasn't in first person... though I guess it describes what she's feeling in a more in-depth way.

All in all, good books. Probably going to be a 'good' movie as well. Hopefully.
Mei-Mei

Next

Return to Book Corner