Favorite Narnia character besides Aslan

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite Narnia character besides Aslan

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:10 am

I love the Narnia books for both the subtle Christian allegories and the story itself. So I thought I'd bring back one of my favorite threads for the newbies to this site.
Who are your favorite Narnia characters? I left out Aslan because he represents God, so I feel you're "supposed" to like him.
Here's who I like:
Reepicheep
Lucy (although at times she seems Mary Sue-ish)
Susan
Edmund (the most awesome character in the entire Pevins family, IMHO)
Puddleglum (What really made me fall in love with this dude was what he said when the Emerald Witch tried to enchant him into thinking her world was all there was:
Puddleglum wrote:"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Supose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

To me, this can also be applied to Christianity. I, too, wish to follow God, even if it turns out I am wrong. Because a world without God seems empty.
Trumpkin--this guy is so funny!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:31 am

Susan, except I don't like how Lewis gives her a bow and arrow and basically makes her "sit in a kitchen"-is given nothing to do and is fairly unimportant. And then there's the unanswered questions about her when the rest of her family... can't spoil that.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 am

Lucy, Edmund, Eustace and Reepicheep. Though I also liked Peter, Puddleglum, Trufflehunter and Trumpkin. xD
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Kaori » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 am

Puddleglum and Reepicheep. But I also like Edmund because he is such a dynamic character--he goes through a tremendous amount of change and growth, and that transformation is what makes his character appealing.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:17 pm

<_< Jadis, even though she represents Satan.... She's as evil as evil can get, and Aslan shows her up time and time again. So, because it's a story, I can enjoy her being evil because I know she's gonna get what's comin' to her.

Other than that, I like Puddleglum for the humor, Eustace for the redemption, and Shasta for...well, for being like me, in some ways. My favorite scene in the entire series is when Aslan meets Shasta in the mist on the mountain, when he's all alone, and he says:

Aslan wrote:I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the tombs. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at night, to receive you.

D-Divine providence.... :waah!:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1488717) wrote:<_< Jadis, even though she represents Satan.... She's as evil as evil can get, and Aslan shows her up time and time again. So, because it's a story, I can enjoy her being evil because I know she's gonna get what's comin' to her.

Other than that, I like Puddleglum for the humor, Eustace for the redemption, and Shasta for...well, for being like me, in some ways. My favorite scene in the entire series is when Aslan meets Shasta in the mist on the mountain, when he's all alone, and he says:

D-Divine providence.... :waah!:

I forgot about Shasta! *Shame*. I honestly really hope they try to make a movie for The Horse and His Boy at some point. It's my favorite book out of the series other then The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh, I would Asla-

I left out Aslan because he represents God, so I feel you're "supposed" to like him.

:/

The care-free hot-tempered Edmund is my fan-favorite. He's the best of Pevensies.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I think Aravis was my favorite. And Shasta. As far as the kids go anyway. Been a while since I've read the books.

Definitely Jadis and Lady of the Green Kyrtle as favorite villains. Always liked the Green Lady more though.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Okami » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Reepicheep is also my favorite. His personality was pretty great! :) Although, it's been quite a while since I read the books, so I can't remember who else I liked through the series.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Eustace too. He wasn't really that great in the book, but the film made him hilarious. Especially how he refers to the pevensies as bugs and his wish to stick them in books. Oh and Lucy for her heart filled passion.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:49 pm

I rather liked all of the Pevensie kids... Though, as far as Susan goes.

Atria35 (post: 1488464) wrote:And then there's the unanswered questions about her when the rest of her family... can't spoil that.

Yeah, I get what you mean... >_> I did like her though, so as far as that goes... yeah.

I think my favorite might be Peter. He's a really good older brother, and cares very much about his younger siblings. I would've loved to grow up with an older brother like him. ^^

Edmund was probably the most well-developed and changed. I really liked how his character was used in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe".

Lucy's such a cute and sweet little girl, and she really does grow and mature into a very strong young lady. :) She's also the one who discovered Narnia first, so her brothers and sister would've never even known of its existence if it wasn't for her.

So, all and all, I liked all four. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Lynna » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:14 pm

I like Aravis and Shasta ^_^ and Lucy and Edmond and Jill and Eustace and...
a lot of characters XD
I really liked susan. I once read this really awesome fan fic that really showed her streangth of character. I think the ending for her wasn't really fair, but I think Lewis was trying to say something about being caught up in worldlyness or something >.< I suppose it would be too steriotypical to have a perfectly happy ending.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Re: Favorite Narnia character besides Aslan

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:08 am

Eustace. Oh guy, he's hilarious XD!!!

And of course, our dear Reepicheep. (sp?)
AnimeGirl

Postby Meira » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 am

i haven't read it in a while, but i remember liking Reepicheep a lot, also Puddleglum. i forget the chapter and pages but my favorite part in the series is in The Silver Chair, the part about Puddleglum's faith, i wont write anymore i dont want to spoil it if someone hasn't read it but i found that part so meaningful, i love the message about faith it gives.
"There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world, there is only the inevitable."
- Yuko Ichihara

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Meira

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm

If we're judging by the books, Reepacheep. He is exemplary.
If we're judging by the movies, Edmund. Even if it was widely different from the book, I loved him in Prince Caspian.
SierraLea

Re:

Postby Cheetah » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm

It seems like I have a favorite for every version.
My favorite book is The Horse and His Boy. It's been awhile since I read it, but I like Shasta, Bree and Corin.
In the older movies I like Reepicheep, Puddleglum, Trumpkin, and Lord Drinian, but Edmund(at least when he's older) may be my favorite.
I like Lucy better in the new movies. I like Peter in both, but I think the story is better with him being younger.
I probably like the newer Susan better, but the BBC series portrayed Susan with a sweeter nature, which I believe to be more in keeping with the books. (She was named Susan the Gentle after all.)
The white witch was way better in the BBC series. It's scary how sweet she can be just before she blows her top.
I have to say that I love how there are cheetah's in the newer movies.

Kaori wrote:Edmund because he is such a dynamic character--he goes through a tremendous amount of change and growth, and that transformation is what makes his character appealing.

I totally agree. He is an excellent picture of someone transformed by the Grace of God. I love Edmund.
Cheetah

Postby AndrewinIce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Edmund all the way! I liked Susan also...And PuddleGlum... The last king, I can't remember his name...Tiran? And The DOnkey in The Last Battle.
AndrewinIce

Postby Neane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Female: Susan Pevensie (she may have beeen a little boring at times, but she was brave, gentle, and her skill with a bow and arrow is admirable at times...), which is why I didn't like "The Last Battle" when I first read it.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The whole series is metaphor about Christianity. Susan is supposed to represent people who stopped believing in Christianity as they grow older. C.S. Lewis was an ardent Christian, and he believed that people who left Christianity (especially when they believed in it as children) were as foolish as Susan, who didn't believe what she actually knew to be true. That's why Susan doesn't go to Narnia in "The Last Battle"; all of the children died in a train crash, and Lucy, Peter, and Edmund went to Narnia (which is really a stand-in for Heaven or some spiritual plane of existence) to fight the final battle between Good and Evil. Susan is not able to come to Narnia because she stopped believing, just as Lewis believed that people who did not believe in Christ would be barred from going to Heaven. The reason this caused me to not like "The Last Battle" when I first read it as a kid was because that part about Susan felt like I waking up from a dream, and being disappointed that I'm back in real life.

"The Last Battle" was the first bittersweet ending that I encountered as a kid and I read it at a time when I did not want to be reminded of real life.

Male: Digory Kirke as we got a chance to see him both as a boy and an adult.
Neane

Postby AndrewinIce » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 pm

[quote="Neane"]Female: Susan Pevensie (she may have beeen a little boring at times, but she was brave, gentle, and her skill with a bow and arrow is admirable at times...), which is why I didn't like "The Last Battle" when I first read it.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The whole series is metaphor about Christianity. Susan is supposed to represent people who stopped believing in Christianity as they grow older. C.S. Lewis was an ardent Christian, and he believed that people who left Christianity (especially when they believed in it as children) were as foolish as Susan, who didn't believe what she actually knew to be true. That's why Susan doesn't go to Narnia in "The Last Battle"; all of the children died in a train crash, and Lucy, Peter, and Edmund went to Narnia (which is really a stand-in for Heaven or some spiritual plane of existence) to fight the final battle between Good and Evil. Susan is not able to come to Narnia because she stopped believing, just as Lewis believed that people who did not believe in Christ would be barred from going to Heaven. The reason this caused me to not like "The Last Battle" when I first read it as a kid was because that part about Susan felt like I waking up from a dream, and being disappointed that I'm back in real life.

"The Last Battle" was the first bittersweet ending that I encountered as a kid and I read it at a time when I did not want to be reminded of real life.
/quote]

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Susan did not die on the train, however. She lived on. We do not know if she ever rejoined Aslan's ranks, but if you ask me, nothing can make you wake need Aslan/Jesus more than losing you entire family. One thing I read was C.S. Lewis called Susan one of the great unfinished stories of Narnia.
AndrewinIce

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I was always a fan of Lucy and Edmund, I guess I relate to Lucy the most. I always feel like I see something others aren't seeing and trying to get them to listen haha (like in Prince Caspian) And I like how humble and helpful Edmund is.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby nln_rose » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 am

Well i'm going to have to say Reepicheep or Shasta. i like Peter Susan Edmund and Lucy, but they all seem one and it's hard to pick just one out of the crowd. alone they aren't nearly as good as all together. Shasta though is a character that gives us an interesting look at life all over. Reep is well... Reep. It's hard not to like his humble proud nature. He is gallant and easy to love.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:09 am

This thread is almost a year and a half old. Please contain posting to threads where the previous post is under six months old.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Book Corner