The Red Tent

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Red Tent

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Has anyone else here ever read the book The Red Tent by Anita Diamant? Just curious. :)
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:02 am

My grandmother keeps urging me to- that book and Water for Elephants, but I've never had the time! It looks really good, though.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 am

It is pretty good, I have a few issues with it so far though so I was wondering if anyone else here had read it. The book is actually very pagan I've noticed. I understand that at that time paganism was the number 1 religion pretty much, but I would have expected Jacob to teach his wives about God and for them to only follow Him. So far the women have a very poor opinion of God and even describe him as cruel at one point when they hear the story about Abraham and Isaac. That kind of bugs me. Not to mention the men in the story are thrown off as sex-crazed brutes for the most part. I do find some of the male characters endearing still: like Jacob, Rueben and Joseph. Still. Another thing that bothers me is the polygamy. Yes, I know Jacob technically has four wives, but it's just so weird to read about. Especially since sex scenes are described quite vivdly several times throughout the first few chapters. I was sitting there like..."what in the world is this!?" Other then those few things, I do find the story in itself interesting and well written. I just keep waiting for God to be mentioned more and in a positive light and it hasn't happened yet so far. The book seems to be gloryifing Paganism to much, then again I've also only read the first few chapters so far.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 am

Well, the polygamy wouldn't surprise me a bit. That's not even particularly pagan- it was practiced within Judaism. So that doesn't surprise me one whit.

But I'll keep this in mind when I read it.
Atria35

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 pm

With the Pagan themes, what I meant is they're always talking about and worshipping other gods, especially goddesses. Lol. It was just strange to me and I'm rather against polygamy so that obviously has part to do with it as well. You'll have to let me know how you like it once you finish it. xD

TopazRaven

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 am

Meh, I'm nearly finished with this book and I've come to the conclusion I just didn't like it. I'm not sure what to do with it now. It wasn't good enough for me to want to keep, but I'm afraid if I give it away someone will read it and get the wrong idea about God. The book is pretty pro-pagan and doesn't place God in a very flattering light. I was expecting so much more from this considering it's supposed to be based off a Biblical tale.

TopazRaven

Return to Book Corner