Poe

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Poe

Postby DrNic » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:59 am

No, not the teletubby.

Im talking bout the horror author. Does anybody here like anything by Edgar Alan Poe? Personally I'm not really into any older literature but I just can't help loving this guys stuff. I must have read The Mask Of The Red Death about a dozen times and I like his poem The Raven. Any opinions?
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:07 pm

Poe is an odd fellow. His writings are interesting.... I like the Raven and some of his Poems and short stories, I’ve read. The Fall of the House of Usher was the most recent short-story I've read of hi , I thought it was interesting, but the descriptions he made of everything were tedious and depressing...

A few years back in 9th grade I had to memorize a poem, I chose Eldorado, one of Poe’s Poems, I still remember it, perfectly:

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old
This knight so bold
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Link Antilles

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:53 pm

Oh yes, the Raven is an all time favorite of mine. I also liked The Tell-Tale Heart, just something about going nuts after burying people under floors was intriguing.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby blueraven » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:29 pm

Heh, mum and I were just talking about him a few hours ago. I personally love Poe's works. Favorite will probaly always be The Raven, read it in a book of poems my parents were given in '87 ... or was it '85? Er- yeah, I had it memorized at one point but its been awhile. And I've been meaning to read more but well- if I kept a list of what I ment to look into I'm sure I'll have a few hundred notebooks full :sweat:
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:19 am

Poe's style is very admirable and very impressive. ^^ His stuff isn't some mindless gothic thing meant only to scare people; there were so many psychoanalytic implications and meaning under the horror. He was, after all, the one who popularized gothic fiction in American lit, and this was his contribution by delving into the darker parts of the human soul. If you took a really close look in Poe's works and took it piece by piece, you would see how much insight he had in psychoanalysis...and this was WAY before Sigmund Freud! I mean, just look at the Fall of the House of Usher...he had already grasped the idea of the Id, the Ego, and the Super-ego there, which would only later be theorized by Freud into one of the most basic tenets of psychoanalysis. He was certainly a man ahead of his times (of course, he didn't lead exactly the most approvable life, but then hey, there's a fine line between genius and insanity XD ).

Beautiful how he could seamlessly and subtly insert so many symbolisms and metaphorical patterns into his work. So pay attention the next time you read his long descriptions; there's a lot more to them than just decriptions. ^^
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:36 am

i like poe's stuff, one of my favorite is the murder of the rue morgue(i think thats what its called) i dont really like the raven, but i do like all the others

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:34 am

I appreciate much of Poe's work. He certainly began the horror genre, and is still one of the more creative writers in the field.

While I didn't like "The Raven" incredibly much, I did like the "sequel" which is supposedly written by "Poe's Cat." Clever, and written in exactly the same style. It's floating around on the internet, but I haven't the time to track it down.
uc pseudonym

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:57 am

I like some of Poe's work, particularly "The Masque of the Red Death," and "The Fall of the House of Usher." I also like him, because he went to my university (UVA). :grin:
cbwing0

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:12 pm

Poe is not my favorite, but I really like some of his poems. I think my least favorite is Anabel Lee. I don't know why, but I always found it too bizarre for me. The Tell-Tale Heart was one of the first readings from high school world lit my freshman year that captivated me.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Return to Book Corner