Edgar Allan Poe

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Edgar Allan Poe

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 pm

*of course, I'd be the one to post this thread XD*

I was just thinking of some of my favorite authors. I did a search for Edgar Allan Poe and found two other threads, but they both died out a few years ago... So I figured I'd probably best start another to avoid gravedigging. If there's a more recent one I missed, my apologies.

Anyway, who else is a die-hard fan of Edgar? I absolutely adore stories like The Tell-Tale Heart, The Masque of the Red Death, and The Black Cat... Love a lot of his poems, too.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Blacklight » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:55 pm

(To be honest, I'm sort of starting out as far as classics are concerned... but, I'm getting there.)

I'm currently waiting for a compilation of his stuff to show up for me at the library, but it's taking a bit long...

Looking forward to picking up that book.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:27 pm

I like Poe. He's different, but a good kind of different, especially if you go off the beaten path to things like "The Bells," "Hop-Frog," "The Fall of the House of Usher," that one conversation one about the world blowing up, and even a couple of his humorous stories.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Nanao » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

i like poe and i love The Raven. Omnia does a really cool presentation of The Raven with music.
Nanao

Postby Edward » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Me and a friend both went to see Nevermore, an evening with Poe at a local museum where some of his poems and short stories were acted out or spoken aloud just as they appear on the page. There was music from the time period that may have influenced Poe as well, and free snacks.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Edward (post: 1449168) wrote:Me and a friend both went to see Nevermore, an evening with Poe at a local museum where some of his poems and short stories were acted out or spoken aloud just as they appear on the page. There was music from the time period that may have influenced Poe as well, and free snacks.

Wow! That sounds so amazing. I'd love to go to something like that... Which poems and stories did they do?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:33 am

He's one of my favorites. I kinda feel sad for the guy, though. Boy, did his life suck.
Oh, here's something you should know, mysngoeshere56: there are at least two movies based on Poe's stories: The Raven and The Pit and the Pendulum. The Pit and the Pendulum is a great one that stars the one and only Vincent Price as its villain. I highly recommend it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 am

Yes, I couldn't help but feel bad for him when I read his biography. It really was a sad life... The description of his last few moments of life were enough to make even me shiver a little.

And thanks! Those movies sound very interesting... I'll have to check them out. One friend of mine did a mini-movie for "The Masque of the Red Death" with her friends when she was in high school.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Just be warned, Vincent Price is one of the best people when it comes to villains. Very few people can do a better evil laugh.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TWWK » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:46 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1449529) wrote:Yes, I couldn't help but feel bad for him when I read his biography. It really was a sad life... The description of his last few moments of life were enough to make even me shiver a little.

His life was wretched...it's part of what makes him so fascinating.

I was a big fan back when I was in high school and college. "The Cask of Amontillado", "The Masque of Red Death," and "The Pit and Pendulum" are my favorites.

Also, most of you probably know this, but for who don't, I think it's interesting to note that many consider Poe the inventor of the modern detective story.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:40 pm

TWWK (post: 1449697) wrote:Also, most of you probably know this, but for who don't, I think it's interesting to note that many consider Poe the inventor of the modern detective story.

I've heard that too! I actually read a story by Avi (possibly my favorite historical fiction author), whose title I unfortunately forget at the moment - a detective story that stars Edgar Allen Poe as the primary (amateur) detective. It was interesting.

I haven't read as much of Poe's prose as I would like, but I thoroughly enjoyed "The Cask of Amontillado" and adored "The Tell-Tale Heart." Beautiful writing.

And he is by far my favorite poet. I'm really bad at poetry and can hardly ever grasp it unless it's just really plain, so basically the only poems I like are ones that rhyme and/or are humorous. Poe's poems fit the former category, and oh my goodness are they beautiful. His poems all have such a lovely, flowing rhythm that even someone like me, who can hardly ever grasp meter, can appreciate. My favorite of his poems, and of all poems I've ever read, is "Annabel Lee."

[i]For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee]
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Oh my gosh, "Annabel Lee"! That poem is truly one of the most famous of all his poems. I even had to memorize it when I was in middle school. I read it for the first time in a long time about 2 years ago... I seriously cried when I got to the last line. It's so heartfelt, and just about impossible not to feel the speaker's heartache...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:13 am

I read a couple of his poems, "The Raven" and "Conqueror Worm", both of which I really liked. I read them both for fun when I was studying for a literature CLEP.

I should read some more Poe, his work is neat.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Return to Book Corner