Orson Scott Card: Empire and Hidden Empire

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Orson Scott Card: Empire and Hidden Empire

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:26 am

As a long time fan of Crisis/Doomsday/Post-Apocalyptic fiction and Orson Scott Card, I highly recommend both of these books as real flagships of the Near Future genre. As well as being a military and political drama, it also gives snap-shot portraits of the protagonists homelife and family, allowing faith to play a subtle but pivotal role that only increases in the second book of the series. Has any one else sampled this latest great from Mr. Card?
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby SnoringFrog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 pm

I've read both of these, and I loved them. One of my favorite parts between the two books was definitely

[spoiler]When the main character of Empire (Reuben, I believe his name was?) is suddenly and unexpectedly killed with very little fanfare about it, and then the novel shifts to the secondary character as the new main and keeps trucking along[/spoiler] The tenacity of it is something I haven't found in many books, or, if it is there they do too much with it. This took that situation fairly realisticly, in my opinion.

I'm having trouble remembering much of anything from Hidden Empire right now other than the basic plot and the ending, so I can't really say anything about it. I do recall enjoying it, at least.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Return to Book Corner