Favorite Literary couples

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite Literary couples

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:11 am

TopazRaven's thread about anime pairings inspired me to make this thread, where we look at our favorite pairings in printed form. Who are your favorite couples from books?
Here's some of mine:
Romeo + Juliet (hey, I'm a Shakespeare fan)
Harry Potter + Ginny Weasley
Artemis Fowl + Holly Short
Taran + Eilonwy (the Chronicles of Prydain)
Jake + Cassie (Animorphs)
Sam + Astrid (Gone books)
Henry + Clare (The Time Traveller's Wife)
Quasimodo + Esmerelda (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Richard Rahl + Kahlan (Sword of Truth)--in fact, their relationship was the main reason I kept reading. Then the author on board kicked in and I got bored.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Harry x Hermione (Harry Potter)- I know this is disproved in canon, but I really.... really... don't like Ron as a charcter
Draco x Hermione (Harry Potter) - YES I have two ships for this series. Why this one? I don't know. I honestly don't know. But I like it.
Artemis Fowl x Holly Short (Artemis Fowl)- They're just meant to be
Zandakar x Rhian (Godspeaker trilogy)- one of my favorite series ever, I always regretted that these two could never be. Bittersweet. I held out hope until the very last chapters.
Miriam x Roland (The Merchant Princes series)- At least this one actually was canon. For a bit. They were good together.
Nobody (Bod) x Scarlet Perkins (The Graveyard Book)- it would be so great if they were able to be together, traveling the world!
Sookie x Bill (Southern Vampire Mysteries)- Again, it was canon for a while. I liked him! I don't like the new guy (even though he's not really new, but that's beside the point)
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Maximum Ride + Fang (Maximum Ride series) Probably the only thing that kept me reading past book 4. -_-
Ron + Hermione (Harry Potter) For some reason, I like the bickering couples. Probably not very smart, that. XD
Percy + Annabeth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) I just love these two so much. XD
Sabrina + Puck (the Sisters Grimm) Again with the bickering couples. Yes, they're way too young. (Sabrina at least.) But they're a riot.

I can't think of any more right now... XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Aravis and Shasta - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:09 pm

MINI RANT: It's been suggested that Romeo and Juliet was actually Shakespeare's attempt to parody teenage infatuation. Romeo goes from loving one girl one moment to being desperately in love with Juliet the next.
Sounds like he's just in love with the idea of love rather than with Juliet.

On a different issue, I can't think of any literary couples I like THAT much at the moment.

I do agree with Aravis and Shasta tho.
Yamamaya

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1435568) wrote:MINI RANT: It's been suggested that Romeo and Juliet was actually Shakespeare's attempt to parody teenage infatuation. Romeo goes from loving one girl one moment to being desperately in love with Juliet the next.

:grin: We actually debated that in my Shakespeare class. We couldn't come to a consensus as to whether he was just infatuated to the point where he lost all sense of reason, or whether he loved her enough to die for her. I fell in with the former due to Romeo's well-known (in the story) history of being a playboy, hance why the name 'Romeo' was used as a term for a guy who got around.

.... But at the same time, it's still romantic.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:27 pm

About those bickering couples, fu, don't knock them. My grandparents on my mother's side have been together for decades and they still go at it.
And I like Percy and Annabeth too. And Silena and Charles were a sweet couple too. [spoiler]Too bad it didn't last [/spoiler]
Atria, can you PM me the gist of that Godspeaker stuff. I like the title.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1435568) wrote:MINI RANT: It's been suggested that Romeo and Juliet was actually Shakespeare's attempt to parody teenage infatuation. Romeo goes from loving one girl one moment to being desperately in love with Juliet the next.

Asdf AGREED. Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite Shakespeare play. There is nothing remotely romantic about it because Romeo is a giant walking reproductive organ and the characters all make stupid decisions. XD Thinking about it as a parody of teenage infatuation makes it a lot better though. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Icarus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Harry x Murph (Dresden Files)
Thomas x Justine (see above), and it's canon!
Harry x Hermione, though I will admit that after reading a certain fanfic, I liked Ginny more.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1435580) wrote:Asdf AGREED. Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite Shakespeare play. There is nothing remotely romantic about it because Romeo is a giant walking reproductive organ and the characters all make stupid decisions. XD Thinking about it as a parody of teenage infatuation makes it a lot better though. XD
This, but while I liked the first act, it got pretty annoying when it switched to infatuation at first sight.

Though, more on topic, Luke and Mara Jade often get an awwwww out of me.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade? Yes, me too.

Also, Agent Brad Raines and Paradise from Ted Dekker's The Bride Collector
Jason Walker and Leiah from Ted Dekker/Bill Bright's Blessed Child
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Atria35 (post: 1435575) wrote::grin: We actually debated that in my Shakespeare class. We couldn't come to a consensus as to whether he was just infatuated to the point where he lost all sense of reason, or whether he loved her enough to die for her. I fell in with the former due to Romeo's well-known (in the story) history of being a playboy, hance why the name 'Romeo' was used as a term for a guy who got around.

.... But at the same time, it's still romantic.

I've also heard the argument that Shakespeare was a very cynical man, thus he couldn't have intended for Romeo and Juliet to be serious. Funny thing about Shakespeare is that the Church of England at that time only cared that plays didn't contain any blasphemy hence the reason they censored any swear words, but they didn't care about any double entedres. Oh boy, the sheer amount of double entedres in Shakespeare. It's definitely not CAA friendly.:lol:

It is romantic but I have difficulty taking Romeo seriously. :P I liked Mercutio better. "Look for me tommorrow and you will find a grave man."
Yamamaya

Postby rocklobster » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:05 am

Luke and Mara were ok, but give me Han Solo and Leia any day.
oh and here's some more:
Laura Ingalls + Amalzo Wilder from the Little House series, which is way better than the TV version(without them, I wouldn't exist! They're my ancestors, no lie!)
Anne Shirley + Gilbert Blythe from the Anne of Green Gables books (from bitter enemies to lovers. It was great to watch their relationship change as they matured)

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:36 am

Yamamaya (post: 1435631) wrote:It is romantic but I have difficulty taking Romeo seriously. :P I liked Mercutio better. "Look for me tommorrow and you will find a grave man."

Mercutio was cool- very much a downer, but cool. You can also tell from one of the speeches he gives Romeo that he was probably a mysoginist and didn't like women, period. Not so romantic... but it would have been awesome to see him and Juliet fall in love ^.^
Atria35

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 am

Rocklobster, yes, Han Solo and Princess Leia are a great couple but they're not literary couples as your thread specified. :P
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 am

rocklobster (post: 1435649) wrote:Laura Ingalls + Amalzo Wilder from the Little House series, which is way better than the TV version(without them, I wouldn't exist! They're my ancestors, no lie!)

o_o Well, I guess that's the best reason of all to like a pairing, huh?

Harry Potter series - Ron X Hermione (anvil-sized hints, anyone? XD), Neville X Luna (strangely, I find myself attracted to this pairing, even though Rowling has told us Neville ends up marrying Susan Bones)

Wheel of Time series - Perrin X Faile (I don't like WoT female characters as a rule, but - mostly through Perrin's merits - this pairing actually drew tears from me, as nothing else in this series has been able to do)

The Chronicles of Narnia - Shasta X Aravis (because they got so used to fighting and making up afterwards that they got married, so as to do so more conveniently)

Sabriel by Garth Nix - Sabriel X Touchstone (in the midst of the "romance is ew" stage of my teenage years, this reached out and touched my heart with just enough softness and passion to appeal to me)

Pride and Prejudice - Lizzie X Mr. Darcy (for obvious reasons XD)

Myst: The Book of Atrus by Rand and Robyn Miller - Atrus X Catherine (for once, you can actually picture these characters in a happy marriage *shocked stare*)

...And I'm probably not far enough in Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb to know yet, but so far I'm finding myself very happy with the Fitz X Molly pairing.

I might think of more later, but for someone who generally gags and yawn through romance as if she were a twelve-year-old boy, I'd say this is a pretty good list.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:54 am

Croaker & The Lady (The Black Company). It starts with Croaker writing silly romanticized fantasies about what the Lady might be like. Those, as well as Croaker's unbiased style as an annalist, spark The Lady's interest and she remains in contact with him (much to his regret - not to mention fear), pestering him about recording the events of the war for her. The other members of the Company jokingly call her Croaker's "girlfriend."

Raven & Darling (also in TBC). After Raven rescues Darling from the Taken's troops, his devotion to protecting her (in the manner of a father, not a lover) seems to be his way of trying to redeem himself for the terrible things he'd done prior to joining the Company. And her being deaf/mute and merely a child, she needs him to be there for her until she can fend for herself.

Eleanor Vance & Hill House (The Haunting of Hill House). Eleanor is initially revolted by the house, yet strangely intrigued, especially considering the life she has to go back to when the investigation is over. Hill House continues to woo Eleanor in its own twisted way, until she eventually gives in.

Rincewind & The Luggage (Discworld). The Luggage is fiercely, unflaggingly loyal to its owner, and homicidally inclined towards anyone who presents a threat. Rincewind is afraid and distrustful of The Luggage, but is resigned to never getting rid of it.

Gollum & The One Ring (The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings). He murdered his cousin to get it. He's completely addicted to it, despite no recorded event (to my memory, at least) of him even using it. And yet the Ring itself would be just as satisfied to go off and affect someone else the way it did him. Ideally it would work its way back to its true master.

Yeah, I tend to go for the less obvious (and mostly pretty screwed-up) ones. Not sure what that says about me.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435672) wrote:Eleanor Vance & Hill House (The Haunting of Hill House). Eleanor is initially revolted by the house, yet strangely intrigued, especially considering the life she has to go back to when the investigation is over. Hill House continues to woo Eleanor in its own twisted way, until she eventually gives in.

That would be one awkward marriage. "I now pronouce you woman and house!" ... or would it be the other way around? ;)
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1435599) wrote:Though, more on topic, Luke and Mara Jade often get an awwwww out of me.

I've only read a few of the books they're in, but I do love those two.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Icarus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:53 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435672) wrote:Rincewind & The Luggage (Discworld). The Luggage is fiercely, unflaggingly loyal to its owner, and homicidally inclined towards anyone who presents a threat. Rincewind is afraid and distrustful of The Luggage, but is resigned to never getting rid of it.

This made my day.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby musicaloddball » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Eowyn and Faramir
Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy
Katniss Everdeen and Gale (NOT Peeta, sorry lol)

Not really into romance that much though. :P
musicaloddball

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Yes to Eowyn and Faramir (I was so disappointed that THE ONLY KISS IN THE BOOKS didn't make it into the movie. It's literally one of my favorite book kisses, too. :/). Yes to Shasta and Aravis. Yes to Lizzie and Darcy. Yes to Anne and Gilbert.

In addition:
Raskolnikov and Sonya Crime and Punishment
Emma and Mr. Knightley Emma
Benedick and Beatrice Much Ado About Nothing
Tzu Hsi and Sakota Imperial Woman
Kostoglotov and Vera Cancer Ward
Arthur Dent and Trillian The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You can tell I like romances that...
[spoiler]are hinted at but never happen... it's so true to life. For me, at least.[/spoiler]

I know there are more, but it's been so long since I've read a lot of books that I just don't remember. Like, the Wheel of Time series. I was pretty sure I liked some pairing in there, but I've forgotten. And I've read so many books in my life that you'd think I remembered more, but I just don't.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Percy + Annabeth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)
Harry + Ginny (Harry Potter)
Ron + Hermione (Harry Potter)
Shasta + Aravis (The Chrionicals of Narnia)
Eustace + Jill (The Chronicals of Narnia)
Doria + Meggie (Inkdeath)
Eragon + Arya (Eragon)
Roran + Katrina (Eragon)
Charles + Rose (East)
Bazarov + Anna (Fathers and Sons)
Arkady + Katya (Fathers and Sons)
Nikolai + Fenitchka (Fathers and Sons)
Edward + Bella (Twilight)
Jasper + Alice (Twilight)
Romeo + Juliet (Romeo and Juliet)(Who cares if it's a parody? I still like it. xD)
Peter + Julie (Julie's Wolf Pack)
Firestar + Sandstorm (Warriors)
Brambleclaw + Squirrelflight (Warriors)
Toklo + Lusa (Seekers)

Wow, this certainly shows I don't read much classic literature doesn't it? *Shame*. By the way, regarding the book Crime and Punishment, is it I good one? Worth me buying it to read it? I've recently become quite interested in Russian literature after reading the book Fathers and Sons by Ivan Tergenev. :D
TopazRaven

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Eustace and Jill weren't a couple. They may have made a good couple later on in life but in the books they were just friends. I understand the sentiment though.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Eustace and Jill weren't a couple. They may have made a good couple later on in life but in the books they were just friends. I understand the sentiment though.

I think it's OK to take some liberties, stretch the definition. Makes it more interesting.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sheenar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:38 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1436496) wrote: By the way, regarding the book Crime and Punishment, is it I good one? Worth me buying it to read it? I've recently become quite interested in Russian literature after reading the book Fathers and Sons by Ivan Tergenev. :D

I really enjoyed it (and own it.) :D
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:11 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1436569) wrote:Eustace and Jill weren't a couple. They may have made a good couple later on in life but in the books they were just friends. I understand the sentiment though.

I tend to like fan pairings. Or pairings that are hinted at, but never happened. I thought Eustace and Jill seemed like they would have been a good couple so I ship it.
TopazRaven

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1435662) wrote:...And I'm probably not far enough in Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb to know yet, but so far I'm finding myself very happy with the Fitz X Molly pairing.

[spoiler]Okay, so it didn't pan out. Oh well, I still liked them....[/spoiler]
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Adding a new one to my list:

Schmendrick and Molly (Last Unicorn)
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:50 am

[spoiler]Well, at least you don't want to doom the unicorn to remaining human forever for the sake of your ship like I wanted to when I was a kid. Gosh I was cruel.[/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Next

Return to Book Corner