R. A. Salvatore

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

R. A. Salvatore

Postby blue elf » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:38 pm

Has anyone read any of R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books? I'm near the middle of The Thousand Orcs.(it's the first FRs book I've read) It's pretty interesting so far. One of my friends reccommended them to me. She was like,"There's this dark elf and he's so cool and he has white hair."(I have a thing for fictional characters with white hair....umm, and elves. :lol: ) So I decided I'd check 'em out and was wondering what everyone else thought of these books?
-BlueElf :hits_self
blue elf

Postby Lochaber Axe » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:51 pm

I've read the prequel that stars Drizzt and I have his first trilogy The Icewind Dale Trilogy (though it is collecting dust because I haven't found time to read it). The prequel is called The Dark Elf Trilogy. Pretty good to me except I am not into the whole D&D universe myself. Books - okay, games - don't really care.
Lochaber Axe

Postby blue elf » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:21 pm

Personally, I've never played D&D either, but I'm liking the book I'm reading so far. ^_^
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby kirakira » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:02 pm

Yeah, I read the Dark Elf trilogy, Icewind Dale trilogy, Canticle, part of In Sylvan Shadows, oh, and I forgot the name of the other one....a Drizzt book. I haven't read any since that last one (the one I can't remember the title of), because I found way too much offensive stuff in it to keep reading. There was on chapter in the DE trilogy that I thought was very innapropriate, but nothing a thick black marker wouldn't fix. In Canticle there was a priestess to a certain goddess who was, well, innapropriate as well. And the one who's title I can't remember was really the last straw. I found it the most offensive out of all I had read, and haven't read any of RA Salvatore's work since. I would strongly un-reccomend him as an author. I think it is innapropriate for anyone at all to read, forgive me if that's offensive to anyone, but I strongly believe that we shouldn't dwell on things of that nature. Anyway, there's my 2 cents worth. ^^
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby The Grammarian » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:08 pm

I've read some of his books. In Sylvan Shadows, the Dark Elf trilogy, and another trilogy that I don't remember the title to, but it was set after the Forgotten Realms "Time of Troubles." The books in that trilogy were "Siege of Darkness," "The Legacy" (I think) and I forget the third one. I like Salvatore's books, but I just got out of the habit of reading novels after I got to college. Now it's school books, educational material of a Christian nature (Christian living, etc.), and manga.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby Six » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:50 am

if your going to read the FR books you need to start (after the thousand orcs) with the Dark Elf Trilogy, its an amazing trilogy and it gives you everything you need to know about drizzt, then after that icewind dale is good.
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:14 pm

He's an awsome writer, he writes action so fluently. His drow are the basis of the darkelves in Gypsy and I's new rpg. I've read all of the Dark Elf triligy, the Icewind dale triligy, the next three books, (been so long i cant remember now) all the way up to Spine of the World mountain.

I've also read all of the cleric Quintet. also a great series. , not to mention all of the demon triligy, wich is set in a completely different world. And um..... one book of the Crimson shadow. ....... and i got a book of short storys cause he had a Drizzt Du'orden story in it. ........ yeah he's good :D

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Six » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:10 am

[quote] not to mention all of the demon triligy, [quote]

im happy i just got the first book in the demon wars saga from the library
:cool: its pretty good so far *goes to read more*
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Return to Book Corner