What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

What are you reading?

Postby Technomancer » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:06 pm

We had a thread like this in the General section once, so I thought I'd try it again. What are you reading now, and if possible what's it about?

Orhan Pamuk "My Name is Red"

(from the back)
At once a fiendishly devious mystery, a beguiling love story, and a brilliant symposium on the power of art, My Name is Red is a transporting tale set amid the splendour and religious intrigue of sixteenth century Istanbul.

I've only just started it, but so far it's kind of neat.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:38 pm

The last book I was reading out of choice was just before school, back in the middle of January. It is called:
A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole
and it was funny, but not at all for kids. I hadn't gotten far enough to say if I liked it or not.

Now, I am reading pretty much a new novel every week by either Flannery O'Connor or John Steinbeck for a Topcis class I'm taking. Right at this moment, it is:
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
So far a much more interesting read than his "In Dubious Battle," But I have a bit to go until I finish the book.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:40 pm

Since I dropped my Math class, I'm going to start reading "Making Jesus Lord" by Loren Cunningham. It's not the most linear book in the world (it's set up as lesson plans for a devotional) so I'm not sure whether to treat it the way it asks (1 chapter per session, answering the questions and reading the verses recommended, though with me I'll have to read more because I never read individual verses) or just read it through. If I treat it as a daily lesson plan, I'll read one chapter a day and then move onto a novel of some sort, probably picking up where I left off in "Fellowship of the Ring"

This will be the third time I will have read through some of the chapters in "Making Jesus Lord" but there's some valuable stuff in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby blueraven » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:02 pm

Had nothing to do during my Tuesday 7th period study hall so I asked my French teacher (yes, she is the librarian also) and she suggested I just look in the Christian fiction section :drool: loads of help there! heh, but really, picked up Song of the Silent Harp by B.J. Hoff. I've read up to the third book so far, sadly I can never find the other two books at any of the libraries here -.- and there are three of 'em. But anyways! Um, in short the books follow two (?) families who came to American during the Potato famine. A question mark there because I don't know how to explain it much without giving to much detail. Shows the struggles the Irish had when they came to America as well as the conflict between Catholic and Protestant Irishmen. Not to mention much much more...not doing very well here am I? Heh, never could do brief summaries :sweat:
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby Spencer » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:55 pm

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Just started the book, and so far it's pretty confusing. It's in the future, and apparently firemen burn books instead of put out fires. It's kinda weird, and sometimes spontaneous, but so far okay.
:)
Spencer

Postby Gypsy » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:56 pm

Right now I'm reading Lawhead's Arthur - book 3 of the Pendragon Cycle.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:26 pm

My reporter's rough drafts :lol: Just finished "Their Eyes Were Watching God" in English...gonna start a heavy round of Rudyard Kipling poetry next week. I also read extensive passages by Donald Kagan in his "Western Heritage" book for European History. Blah.

As for personal time, "The Purpose Driven Life" is begging to be started and I should try to get back into "Grail" by Lawhead (book 4 I believe of the Pendragon Cycle).

Manga wise- Azumanga Daioh, Magic Knights Rayearth II, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Full Moon wo Sagishite when I can get my hands on free time.
Ashley

Postby The Grammarian » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:09 pm

What am I reading...? Principally, Richard Watson's Theological Institutes, the first Methodist systematic theology (volume 1 was published 1821, to give you an idea of how old this is). Also been reading the Full Metal Panic, Samurai Deeper Kyo and Rurouni Kenshin mangas; also read a Norman Geisler book called Chosen But Free, which was supposed to offer a 'middle-ground' between Calvinian absolute predestination and Arminian conditional predestination, but several chapters in he came out with the statement that he was a "moderate Calvinist" (which eliminates any claim to being 'middle of the road,' on his part). I've also been reading Character Witness by Christine Wood (IVP) off and on, and I should try to start reading The Purpose-Driven Life at some point, too.

On top of that, I have 9 books that I need to read for a semester-long research paper on John Milton. Wee.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby madphilb » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:36 pm

Michael Chriton's "Prey" - cool book, far more colorful language than I expected though.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:53 pm

I was reading The Eye of the World, the first book in the Wheel of Time series, but I wasn't too impressed with it, so I stopped and started reading Pride and Prejudice :lol:
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Twilly Spree » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:02 pm

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, is a classic!

Anywho, I'm reading Ian McEwan's Atonement.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby SwordSkill » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:03 pm

aside from college work, my leisure reading consists of Neil Gaiman's collection of short stories and poems, Smoke and Mirrors.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:42 am

im reading soon by jerry jenkins

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby DrNic » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:49 am

Im reading two of the greatest books ever. The Bible and The Fellowship of the Ring!
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:39 am

Currently, Huckleberry Finn (for a class), CS Lewis's Dangerous Idea. When I get a chance I'll read Miracles and Job: A Comedy of Justice.
uc pseudonym

Postby YesIExist » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:44 am

I'm about to start reading some books on how to master the GRE. Or at least score better than I would if I didn't read it.
YesIExist

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:44 am

yea...im reading the bible too, and i have a line of books that i want to read

three by i forget his name(thomas somethng?)
eli -bill myers
the LOTR series - j. r.r. tolkien
and the space trilogy - c.s. lewis

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:31 am

I just finished Eugenics: A History of a Bad Idea. It was informative, but let me down at the end.

Right now I am reading I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris, followed by Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship. Enough people have recommended these to me that I couldn't put it off any longer.
cbwing0

Postby HikariChan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:48 am

I TrYeD To ReAd ThE BiBlE BuT i CoUlD NeVeR ReAlLy StArT^^
Am I BaD FoR ThAt?

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby Zilch » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 am

JRR Tolkien's "The Hobbit". A true classic!
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby JediSonic » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:03 pm

I am reading "Pilgrim's Progress" for [home]school, and "Vision of the Future", a StarWars book by Timoth Zahn. I recently read the Thrawn Trilogy, some of the greatest SW books of all time, also by Timothy Zahn, as well as "Spectre of the Past", the prequel to "Vision of the Future".
JediSonic

Postby Gypsy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:59 pm

HikariChan wrote:I TrYeD To ReAd ThE BiBlE BuT i CoUlD NeVeR ReAlLy StArT^^
Am I BaD FoR ThAt?

Well, where did you try to start? It might be a little rough to try to read from Genesis 1:1 and on. Also, what version are you reading from?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Namu » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:22 pm

Just finished part one of "The Eye of the World". After I get around to starting and finishing my book report, I will start on part two of "The Eye of the World".
Namu

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:30 pm

Oh, yeah, for my Lit class we are reading T. S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, which is one of my favorite poems in all of literature, and also "The Wasteland" which, so far, is like wading through mud with all of the footnotes (one of my pet peeves).
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Locke » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:11 pm

just finished " Dude, Weres my Country" by Micheal Moore

really enjoyed it

starting/finnaly finishing: Lies your teacher told you
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:16 pm

Lies Your Teacher Told You was a great book... very informative about the common deceptions in history today. It receives my recommendation for anyone interested in history.
uc pseudonym

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:50 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Lies Your Teacher Told You was a great book... very informative about the common deceptions in history today.

If you like that, I would recommend "The Thought Police," by Diane Ravitch. It is all about the changes made to school textbooks in response to pressure groups. Some of it is quite shocking.

"Christianity on Trial," is also a great historical read, despite what the title might lead you to believe. It tells the whole story behind a lot of the events in history that non-Christians throw at Christians all the time, such as the Crusades, imperialism, and the Inquisition, among other things.
cbwing0

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:16 pm

The Samarillion of course (re-reading it like for the ump-teenth time...more like 3rd actually :sweat: )
Hitokiri

Postby Destroyer2000 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:27 pm

I'm reading Black Horses for the King right now, but I'm going to start on possibly The Grey King afterwards...that or something else short. Then comes Tolkien.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:39 pm

jedisonic, timothy zahn is great, the starwars stuff rocks!

Glitch's Photostream

Passion - Kutless