What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby kirakira » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:14 pm

Ooo, right now I'm in the middle of 'Strong Poison' by Dorothy L Sayers. XD
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby Kesshin » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:03 pm

I just finished reading "Squashed" by Joan Bauer (at least, I hope that's how her name is spelled :sweat: ). She's one of my favorite contemporary authors, which is saying something because I don't normally like contemporary. Squashed was okay, but she's written better.
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby SManBeyond » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:08 pm

Future Grace by John Piper
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Locke » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:01 pm

finished The Human Comedy couple days ago.

probaly starting Flowers For Algernon tomorrow
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:46 pm

Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed by Phillip Hallie

A true story about a village that non-violently and successfully resisted the Nazis during one of the worst parts of World War II. It's a bit dry, so I have not been reading it swiftly.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kireihana » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:23 pm

Locke wrote:finished The Human Comedy couple days ago.

probaly starting Flowers For Algernon tomorrow

Gah. I had to read that book for school. It's so sad... :sniffle:
Kireihana

Postby cbwing0 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:14 am

I read two books and started another while on vacation this past week. The first was "Small Wars: Their Principle And Practice," by C. E. Calwell. It is an interesting book on military strategy from the turn of the century that is becoming more relevant in modern warfare.

Next, I read, "The Hell-Fire Clubs: A History of Anti-Morality," by Geoffrey Ashe. This was an interesting book about a series of organizations in 18th century England that devoted themselves to either complete hedonism or devil worship (or both). The book also describes other individuals throughout history who have lived by the words "Do what you will."

Now I am reading "The Black Book of Communism," which describes the atrocities of every communist regime up until the present. The central thesis of the book is that communism is an essentially criminial system, which relies upon terror and repression for it's creation and continuted existence. Of course the authors provide ample evidence to support their claims, which is why the book runs to 852 pages!
cbwing0

Postby thalia » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:48 pm

I am currently re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, but soon I will have to start on The Odyssey for English 101...
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby Technomancer » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:20 am

Earth and Ashes by Atiq Rahimi
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Locke » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:24 pm

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Locke

Postby martinloyola » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:11 pm

Heart of Winter-Robert Jordan (wheel of time series)

The Far Lands - James Norman Hall, (a history of the oceanic islands, told like mythology)
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby Icarus » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:58 pm

The Hacker Ethic, by Pekka Himenen.

Rather interesting.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:01 pm

Bao Ninh "The Sorrow of War: A Novel of Noth Vietnam"

A very good book, and a much needed different perspective on the Vietnam war itself. It reminds me a bit of Erich Maria Remarque's "The Road Back" in its depiction of the rootlessness and confusion of the war's survivior's.

(from the jacket)
Bao Ninh, a former North Vietnamese soldier provides a strinkingly honest look at how the Vietnam War forever changed his life, his country, and the people who live there.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Locke » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:50 pm

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

really intersting and supringly easy to read

Locke

Postby RoyalWing » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:43 pm

I am reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis~ ^-^ Some words and sentences are a bit complicated for me, but I get the important parts. It's very good!
RoyalWing

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:38 pm

"The Battle Belongs to the Lord," by K. Scott Oliphant. It is a book on Christian Apologetics and is quite good so far.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:06 am

The Salmon of Doubt (a collection of Douglas Adams' assorted pieces)

Not nearly on the level of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy, or Dirk Gently by large. This book caused me to lose a certain amount of respect for Douglas Adams as a person (though he is still a good author). On the other hand, the book does contain a portion of his unfinished book that is like most of his work.

Also, it contains the piece "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe." Funny in a hitchhiker fashion and also vaguely revealing for people who have never experienced popular sentiment outside of American.
uc pseudonym

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:53 pm

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:29 am

"The Palace" by Lisa St. Aubin de Teran. A pretty good novel so far.

and "Wavelets and Multiwavelets" by Fritz Keinert. A good review of the theory, and one of the few treatments of multiwavelets that I'm aware of.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:50 pm

Anabaptist Theology in Face of Postmodernity

An extremely scholarly text, but not as difficult to read as most. Very interesting, for what I have read of it.
uc pseudonym

Postby SilverFang » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:27 pm

"left behind"
SilverFang

Postby greyscale42 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:58 pm

Im currently reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens but Im barely into the third chapter so dont ask me what its about, I have no clue yet.
greyscale42

Postby Kat Walker » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:15 am

Right now, I have a bit of a reading que...I was starting Paradise Lost by James Hilton, but then I was dusting off my classics shelf and started reading J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan. Both half finished. Then, when our family went on vacation, I started on The Iliad...but I left the book at my uncle's house. >_>;

Having a new crush and just recently getting cable internet have wrought much havoc on my reading time. ^^;
Kat Walker

Postby JediSonic » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:58 pm

My dad bought "frankenstein" at a church yard sale so I think I'll read that :lol:

My mom thinks i might regret it later <_<
JediSonic

Postby martinloyola » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:52 pm

His Way by David Knight
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:40 pm

out of the silent planet - cs lewis

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:11 pm

Just read both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll, for the first time.

Now, I will be reading Christ and the Covenants by O. Palmer Robertson, a book which I've attempted to start several times this summer. I have two weeks before returning to college - better get on it. Simultaneously, I think I'll read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, seeing as I've only read it once, and it's been many, many years....
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby The Grammarian » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:22 pm

Just finished re-reading C.S. Lewis' The Abolition of Man. STILL working on Watson's Theological Institutes. Read P.J. O'Rourke's Peace Kills and Cracking the Da Vinci Code not too long ago. May re-read Lewis' The Great Divorce soon, though presently I'm not reading anything.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:05 pm

I'm reading Artemis Fowl.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby soul alive » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:59 pm

i am currently reading "The Guardian," book two of the O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson. I am also reading the Bible as well as two year-long daily devotionals: "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers and "Extreme Devotion" by Voice of the Martyrs. i just finished reading "Covenant of Love" and "Gate of His Enemies" books one and two of the Appomattox Saga by Gilbert Morris.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner