What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Locke » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:09 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Lies Your Teacher Told You was a great book

*ahem* "was"?
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:22 pm

Right, eh? nothing.... I've been really busy as always.... Anyways, I was in the middle of Tom Clancy's "The Bear and The Dragon" and "Shadows of the Empire", by Steve Perry for my third time.
Link Antilles

Postby blue elf » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:10 pm

Right now:
books: I try to read a little from the Bible about every day and I'm also reading The Thousand Orcs by R.A. Salvatore

manga: Rave Master vol. 01

-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:16 am

Locke wrote:*ahem* "was"?

It shifts to past tense because I have finished reading it. Were I reading it now I would say "is."

And cbwing0, I will definitely look up that second book. I have some athiestic friends who I frequently argue with on the subject, and this could be useful.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:52 am

Finished Cannery Row last night. Now startingon Steinbeck's next novel, "Sweet Thursday." Also, I'm reading different essays Flannery O'Connor wrote, collected in a book called "Mystery and Manners" - and I think there is wonderful content for all the fiction writers out there. In addition to that, also Flannery O'Connor's short stories (it's an extensive class), and for Lit. class Luigi Pirandello's "Six characters in Search of an Author" -interesting so far. It's a play, but very existential and post-modern from as far as I've read.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:13 pm

Textbooks for school. |(b

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Spencer » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:18 pm

Onto A Painted House by John Grisham. So far so good, but then again I'm not too far yet. Everyone I know says it's really good, so I'm readin it.
:)
Spencer

Postby ThaKladd » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:52 am

Yesterday I read a book named "Historical Criticism of the Bible Methodology and Ideology - Refections of a Bultmannian turned evangelical" By Eta Linnemann, and it was really intresting....
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby RefractedAhav » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:35 pm

I've recently finnish The Shadow Risingby Robert Jorden. TSR is actually the fourth book of the Wheel of Time series. I am currently waiting to read The Fires of Heaven (bk 5 of WoT) untill I am done with the majority of my school work.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:26 pm

The Odyssey by Homer. The non-verse-form version. Surprisingly, it's relatively easy to read and really good, too.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Knives » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:33 am

Mattimeo
Knives

Postby Inferno » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:41 am

Knives wrote:Mattimeo

what's Mattimeo? well I'm reading the Bible and.............*thinks really hard* oh ya that's pretty much it.:sweat:
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:24 am

It's one of the first books in the "Redwall" series. Think intelligent small animals with weapons. I've read most of it (the series), but grew disinterested. In my mind they're too similar.
uc pseudonym

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:13 pm

Spirit Fox by Mickey Zucker Reichert and Jennifer Wingert. Read it before, but it's really awesome, so I checked it out of the library again.

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:21 pm

I just read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (when I say "just read", I mean it-- short book). It was pretty good...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Six » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:48 pm

im reading,

The Bible NKJV Redletter
Cybershock
Visual Quickstart Guide to HTML, XHTML and CSS
Plato's Republic (just started please dont ask any questions :P)
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:16 pm

I've never actually read CS Lewis's space trilogy, and I figured that I may as well. So on top of everything else I'm reading, I'm adding this. Ah well.
uc pseudonym

Postby Six » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:08 pm

i tell ya i just couldnt get into the space trilogy

Fight Ignorance

Inform Yourself

See another country's point of view

Know Your Online Rights

Discover the Intelligent alternative to the basic political parties

Name: Sakeshi Hiromuki

Username:Six

Proficiencies:Kunai, Shuriken, Light Blade (Kodachi)

Techniques:

Clone: NinJutsu; user creates an immobile clone usable only as a decoy

Substitution: GenJutsu; user replaced their body with another object, and throws an illusion around the object so it appears to be them. The illusion breaks on contact with an object

Transformation: GenJutsu; user casts an illusion making them appear as someone else

Slashing Wind: NinJutsu; the user summons and hurls a massive gust of wind. If done properly can cut (25-20tp=5tp)
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby Technomancer » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:43 pm

"Ameriika" by M.G. Vassanji at the moment, although I also want to get my hands on "Reading Lolita in Tehran".
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Locke » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:59 pm

the da vincicode code again and currently on psalms

Locke

Postby Technomancer » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:52 pm

"Jesus Saves" by Darcy Seinke

"..a suburban gothic that explores the sources of evil, confronts the dynamic shifts within theology, and traces the consequences of suburban alienation. Set in the modern launchpads of adolsecent ritual, the stripmalls and duplexes on the backside of suburbia, it's the story of two girls: Ginger, a troubled minister's daughter; and Sandy Patrick, who has been abducted from summer camp and now smiles from missing-child posters all over town."
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:11 pm

I'm on the third book of CS Lewis's space trilogy, not enjoying it as much as the others. At the moment I'm only about half way compete, so I'll withhold judgement for a later date (and another thread).
uc pseudonym

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:42 pm

I just started "Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview," by J.P. Moreland and William Lane Craig. As you might guess from the title, the book covers the basics of philosophy from a Christian perspective, including Logic, Epistemology, Metaphysics, etc.
cbwing0

Postby Locke » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:19 pm

finishing Redwall

Locke

Postby ThaKladd » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:28 pm

3 days ago I read Francis Rivers - The Shoe Box. It's a really nice little story :) loved it... gave me tears in the end ;)
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:21 am

If I'm ever in a suicidal mood, I will read Orthodoxy by an author I cannot remember. Probably an informative but terribly dull read. Then again, I doubt I will ever have that much time on my hands.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:43 am

G.K. Chesterton maybe? He has a book by the same name (although the parts that I've read weren't dull).

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Door Nob » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:52 pm

I am reading a Map Of The World
Door Nob

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:09 pm

Technomancer wrote:G.K. Chesterton maybe? He has a book by the same name (although the parts that I've read weren't dull).

Hm. I am inclined to say it is a different book, as I remember the author was one I was not familiar with. Then again, I might prefer to read Chesterton's, if you recommend it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:09 pm

To dispell the myth that I don't read at all ;) , I'm currently digging into Philip Yancey's "What's So Amazing about Grace?"
Mave

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner