Anne Rice leaves Christianity

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Anne Rice leaves Christianity

Postby rocklobster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:11 am

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate thread for CAA. If it isn't, then you mods can lock it.
Anne Rice, writer of Interview With a Vampire, became a Christian a few years back. Now she's left because she feels she cannot be one and love her son.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:18 am

It seems that it isn't that she's leaving Christianity, but leaving the organized church part of it. From her Twitter Post:

"But I would argue that the Body of Christ is infinitely bigger than organized religion, that Christ cannot be limited and owned by organized religion, that He offers His Body and Blood to all indivi...dual believers in spite of organized religion, and they will continue to come to Him, each in his or her own way"

Apparently, she's just leaving the Church. But she's still a believer. To quote her from that interview, "I can't be committed to Christ and remain in this group.. I need to step away... and talk to God personally and seek His guidance to see what He wants me to do to keep Christ at the center of my life." (http://www.annerice.com/), the very last bit of the interview.
Atria35

Postby shooraijin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 am

Right, that was my impression as well.

I don't see an immediate indication to lock, but keep it cool.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:22 am

Atria35 wrote:"But I would argue that the Body of Christ is infinitely bigger than organized religion, that Christ cannot be limited and owned by organized religion, that He offers His Body and Blood to all indivi...dual believers in spite of organized religion

Anne Rice please marry me.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 am

Now she's left because she feels she cannot be one and love her son.

O.O Whoever taught her that needs to open up their Bible and taker a gander. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:52 am

Psst, her son is gay. This is why rock was worried about posting it, because it could turn into a huge debate about homosexuality.

Nate

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:57 am

It's unfortunate that the organized part of the Body of Christ tends to make people feel as though they cannot be included. At least she recognized that there's much more to being a Christian than that.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby goldenspines » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 am

Atria35 (post: 1416659) wrote:"But I would argue that the Body of Christ is infinitely bigger than organized religion, that Christ cannot be limited and owned by organized religion, that He offers His Body and Blood to all indivi...dual believers in spite of organized religion, and they will continue to come to Him, each in his or her own way"

Please marry me too, Anne Rice. O:

I'm kidding. XD But, like everyone else said, it doesn't seem like she stopped being a Christian (a person could say she's wanting to become more of one), but just leaving the church she was going to, which could have been for a number of reasons).

Also, thanks for the link, Atria. The headline of the video was a little weird though: "Important Information On Anne's Decision to Quit Christianity in the Name of Christ " XD;

And Nate, stop trying to throw theology debate bait in a thread, please. -_-
goldenspines

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 am

You go girl. You go.

goldenspines (post: 1416720) wrote:And Nate, stop trying to throw theology debate bait in a thread, please. -_-

Wait, Nate was stating why Anne Rice said she cannot be one and love her son. I wanted to know why she said that too. How is that throwing bait?
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 am

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1416720)"]
Also, thanks for the link, Atria. The headline of the video was a little weird though: "Important Information On Anne's Decision to Quit Christianity in the Name of Christ " XD]No prob! :) I suspect that title is where a lot of people are getting the wrong idea about what's happening with her- they aren't bothering to listen to the entire clip (because I listened to it, and I will admit that listening to the first few seconds also is a tad misleading because of the question the commentator asks!)

(no offense to you, Rocky, I'm sure that it was just a misunderstanding!)
Atria35

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:17 am

goldenspines wrote:And Nate, stop trying to throw theology debate bait in a thread, please. -_-

Okay, maybe I should have PM'd it, but I was trying to explain it to Rusty.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:24 am

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1416721) wrote:Wait, Nate was stating why Anne Rice said she cannot be one and love her son. I wanted to know why she said that too. How is that throwing bait?

It was his comment about Rocklobster that worried me the most.
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 am

No what I meant was rocklobster said he was worried the thread might be inappropriate, probably for that reason (and possibly a second I won't mention to ensure I won't be accused of baiting again :p).

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 am

I say kudos to her. Christianity is so much more than organized religion, and if people in her church are telling her not to love her son (for ANY reason), then something's wrong there and it's probably better to leave that church.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:51 am

I didn't know that Anne Rice was a Christian. I do feel bad that the church she was associated with looks down on people like her son, and I'm glad she saw that and detached herself from them. I do hope and pray she finds a new fellowship soon.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Nate (post: 1416723) wrote:Okay, maybe I should have PM'd it, but I was trying to explain it to Rusty.

Ah, I appreciate the clarification.

Though biblically, she should still love him as a person. There is a complex thingie we could get into on what she is supposed to do, but that's not necessary, since the point is she should hate the sin, not the sinner. If I'm stepping on my tounge in there somewhere PM me to sort me out XP
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby rocklobster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Nate, you're ruining the thread, DESIST NOW! :mutter:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Oh, so me explaining things to people who don't understand is "ruining" the thread? Sure, that makes logical...wait, what?

EDIT: I even admitted after Mary said something that I probably should have PM'd it. Okay, fine, that was my bad. I admit I messed up. But explaining the topic of the thread in the thread is pretty much the exact opposite of ruining it. Besides, I don't see any theological debate right now in this thread, so it's not in danger of being locked and therefore still not ruined.

Nate

Postby rocklobster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm

sorry, I over-reacted.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:40 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1416715) wrote:It's unfortunate that the organized part of the Body of Christ tends to make people feel as though they cannot be included. At least she recognized that there's much more to being a Christian than that.

I've always wondered if a part of my calling in particular is to show what Christians can be for those who really feel this way. I don't know that I'm ever terribly good at it, but the lesson is that really we need to love everyone regardless of their shape and or condition.

Her decision speaks to me of a great deal of maturity. My hope is that she does find, if not a church per se, a community she can participate in to fulfill that particular spiritual thirst.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:11 pm

I say kudos to her. It is good that she is true to herself.

Ann Rice became an atheist at 18. While she was an atheist she wrote the Interview With a Vampire.
She said that the vampires in many ways represented her own feelings. She felt like a lost soul wandering through a world, mourning the loss of her faith.

In 1998 she became a Christian again and has since wrote a variety of religious books.

This thread is walking a bit of a tightrope but you are all fine folk who I'm sure will keep that from happening.:thumb:

That being said I have not read any of her books. Perhaps I should pick up some at the local library.
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Anne Rice has balls.

I like Anne Rice.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:35 am

She has rice balls?
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:41 am

LadyRushia (post: 1416954) wrote:She has rice balls?

I love donuts! Jelly filled are my favorite! Nothing beats a jelly filled donut!

Yamamaya

Postby Angel37 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1417007) wrote:I love donuts! Jelly filled are my favorite! Nothing beats a jelly filled donut!

Oh English dubbers....confusing kids as to what a donut really is....

Anyway, i think it's kudos to Anne Rice for doing this. Organized churches are really hit or miss nowadays and I think taking some time out to really study the Word and figure out what she should do would be great. And hopefully she can find another church to go to that will be better.
Angel37

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Leaving a particular church but staying Christian is no big deal, at least to me. I've left a couple churches, myself (in fact I'm in-between right now and have been for over a year, sadly) and still consider myself a Christian.
Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1416909) wrote:Anne Rice has balls.

I like Anne Rice.

LadyRushia (post: 1416954) wrote:She has rice balls?

LOL

(Wait should I be laughing?? o.o)
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:23 pm

She won't have rice balls for long, I hear there are Ninjas about.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Going with what Flummoxed was saying, it's not a bad thing for someone (especially a new Christian) to leave their church or chosen denomination if they don't like what it's about. Better to step back and sort things out yourself than to go to church feeling like you're just paying lipservice to your faith.

I left my own church because it was getting way too politically correct. I like the one I go to now very much, because it reminds me of the old one in its better days.

Also, she had converted to Catholicism, which is pretty hardcore stuff. No offense to any Catholics out there.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby shooraijin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Also, she had converted to Catholicism, which is pretty hardcore stuff. No offense to any Catholics out there.

Yeah, let's be careful with that.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby steenajack » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Kudo's to Anne as well. I do hope that during this time she discovers something new about God that she didn't know before. I'll be praying for her and her son.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Next

Return to Book Corner