The Hunger Games Trilogy

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Postby knightlee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 am

I know I'm a little late getting on the bandwagon, but who here is a fan of the books? Feel free to discuss the third book, favorite characters and pairings, and speculations about how horrible/fantastic the movie will be.

I'm almost finished with Catching Fire, so I have no speculations as to the third book - yet. Favorite character? Haymitch. I actually like Katniss as well, but I have nothing to say on Peeta vs. Gale. We'll see what happens when I finish the second book.

And yes, I know this is a YA book and I am no longer considered "YA". But heck, we're a bunch of adults who watch cartoons in a different language (except for you dubees. . .is that a technical term now?)
A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer. ~Karl Kraus
Find me @ MAL.net (olivecrayola)
knightlee

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:19 am

I was initially sceptical about the series, but heard enough good things about it that I read a few chapters of the first while waiting for a tire change. I found it to be better written than most YA books and it had a very interesting premise as well. I think I will probably continue it sometime in the near future.

Sorry I can't contribute any more than that.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby knightlee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 am

I just realized that this should be in the book section. Ooops!
I was skeptical as well, since I usually don't read "popular" books. Now I do, because I review them, but when I started the series I was afraid I wouldn't like them because of the usual cliches associated with current YA fiction. I was only half right. Collins does use some of the same cliches, but I hardly noticed them as cliches I was so wrapped up in the characters and the story.
knightlee

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:38 am

I myself find that there are a few nice YA books out there- but I haven't read these particular ones. What are they about? What makes them so good? Are they more obscure, and if so, would I have a hard time finding them through my library system?
Atria35

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:52 am

Moved to the Book Corner!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby knightlee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:02 pm

@ Radical Dreamer: Thank you!

Atria35 (post: 1410688) wrote:I myself find that there are a few nice YA books out there- but I haven't read these particular ones. What are they about? What makes them so good? Are they more obscure, and if so, would I have a hard time finding them through my library system?

The books are "dystopian YA". They are very popular right now and you should be able to find them easily at your library.
Here is the a summary for the first book @ amazon, then one at goodreads.
I guess the thing that makes them so good is that the writing really drags you into the story. You can tell that Suzanne Collins tried to give enough detail to keep the story interesting and realistic, but not so much that the story was dragged down. Her characters are not cardboard cut-outs, and there is just the right amount of emotion and action to keep you reading.
I wrote a better review of the book here, but I would only read it if you don't mind a few minor spoilers.
knightlee

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Atria35 (post: 1410688) wrote:I myself find that there are a few nice YA books out there- but I haven't read these particular ones. What are they about? What makes them so good? Are they more obscure, and if so, would I have a hard time finding them through my library system?

They're actually rather well known and I believe the first one won numerous awards including ones from the ALA, so the library should be able to find you a copy (or two).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:35 pm

knightlee (post: 1410720) wrote:@ Radical Dreamer: Thank you!

The books are "dystopian YA". They are very popular right now and you should be able to find them easily at your library.
Here is the a summary for the first book @ amazon, then one at goodreads.
I guess the thing that makes them so good is that the writing really drags you into the story. You can tell that Suzanne Collins tried to give enough detail to keep the story interesting and realistic, but not so much that the story was dragged down. Her characters are not cardboard cut-outs, and there is just the right amount of emotion and action to keep you reading.
I wrote a better review of the book here, but I would only read it if you don't mind a few minor spoilers.

Wow, thanks for the info! I'll admit, there are very few YA series I follow anymore, even though I enjoy them, because I'm over the YA age.... and the librarians know it, since I've been a regular since I was a kid. They know how old I am, AND they moved the YA section to the front of the library! :shady:

This one looks great, though, and I'll definitely see about getting it out!
Atria35

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Interesting. I'd heard of this, but it hadn't really been on my radar.
I'll keep it in mind, as I enjoy dystopian sci-fi.

And yes, I know this is a YA book and I am no longer considered "YA". But heck, we're a bunch of adults who watch cartoons in a different language (except for you dubees. . .is that a technical term now?)

"YA" is only really a rough demographic label. It shouldn't necessarily have much bearing on the quality of a particular title anyway.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby knightlee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:23 pm

MasterDias (post: 1410759) wrote:Interesting. I'd heard of this, but it hadn't really been on my radar.
I'll keep it in mind, as I enjoy dystopian sci-fi.

"YA" is only really a rough demographic label. It shouldn't necessarily have much bearing on the quality of a particular title anyway.

That's what I keep muttering to myself when I check my books out of the library. . .
knightlee

Postby Lynna » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Am I the only person here who counts as a YA?
Oh, that's right. nobody can see how old I am, so it doesn't really matter
My Little brother(anouk8) is reading these books. They sound really good but from what he's told me they also sound very violent. And my little brother can sit through allot, so I don't really trust his judgment.
How violent are they exactly?
and what about them is so good?
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Tamachan319 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Lynna, I'm also a person who counts as a YA. You're not alone!!
I have heard some good things about The Hunger Games from friends. Like Lynna, I would like to know how violent they are. My own question: Is there much language in this series? I'm trying to stay away from books with a lot of language, especially because I have a tedency to get that type of words stuck in my head. (I'll read it if the language is scattered and fairly infrequent. Most YA books are pretty good on that level, but I've read some books, even from the YA section, that seemed like they read "Blah Blah Blah *BEEP* blah blah blah *BEEP* [*BEEP* indicates language].)
And, once again, copying Lynna's question, what about them makes them so good?

(Yikes. I just realized how long I've been typing...Guess I should stop, shouldn't I?)
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby knightlee » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:05 am

Yes, there is violence - sometimes graphic, sometimes not so graphic. It usually has a purpose though, and the violence points to a bigger plot than just "kids fighting to the death and having to rely on their wits and their wicked government". I was a little worried about the plot when I started the first book. I didn't like the idea of kids fighting in a gladiatoresque game, having to become like animals in order to survive. But by the end of the book I was happy to see that the story wasn't one dimensional, and there was going to be some real good vs. evil battles, instead of just "me against the big kids who are trying to kill me".

Swear words? I don't remember any. Even if there is one or two, Collins doesn't rely on them to convey the emotions of the character throughout the book.

The book is serious, despite being rated as YA, so keep that in mind.
knightlee

Postby Tamachan319 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:26 pm

knightlee (post: 1411021) wrote:Yes, there is violence - sometimes graphic, sometimes not so graphic. It usually has a purpose though, and the violence points to a bigger plot than just "kids fighting to the death and having to rely on their wits and their wicked government". I was a little worried about the plot when I started the first book. I didn't like the idea of kids fighting in a gladiatoresque game, having to become like animals in order to survive. But by the end of the book I was happy to see that the story wasn't one dimensional, and there was going to be some real good vs. evil battles, instead of just "me against the big kids who are trying to kill me".

Swear words? I don't remember any. Even if there is one or two, Collins doesn't rely on them to convey the emotions of the character throughout the book.

The book is serious, despite being rated as YA, so keep that in mind.

Sweet! I will add it to my extremely long list of books I must read.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Return to Book Corner