Harry Potter

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Harry Potter

Postby Inferno » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:59 am

does any one think this series is evil? Well I don't, who loves this series? I DO YIIIPPPPEEEE
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:02 am

i voted for id rather not read it, because id rather not read it

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Inferno » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:58 am

you should it's a good book series. everyone's like it's so evil! It's not if you don't go to deep into it! Like really trying to do magic. I mean people say it's really bad before the even read it!*sighs* it disgusted me. glad I got that out.

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Yamato145 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:48 pm

I love HP ... Sirius is a feddiralli character of all time ... o and the fight near the end of order of the pheonix kicked to much bootay!
The loving, caring, and slightly bad-influencing father of 1balloonpopper and khakibluesocks!!!
Also I'm not sure how -_-' but somehow I am the Master and Father of Spectro-King according to his signature ... but hey I'm up for having a minion ... so jump stupid ... I'll have him keeeeel you
:evil: Evil child of Fantasy Dreamer and Dark Disturbed Grandchild of Cephas VII
On a quest to adopt Cephas
:dance: WACKY BANANA!!! :rock: ROCKER!!! :hug: glomp of DOOM!!!
Ive noticed something interesting, when a place is really amazing people say it must be seen to believed ... but the most amazing place ever must be believed to be seen.
kenshin: W_^Vx
Yamato145

Postby ZiP » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:12 pm

I Heart Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby madphilb » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:12 pm

I love the series, however I'd pass this on... if you find those who don't feel right about reading the book, I'd say not to pressure them to read it... some people have real reasons for themselves not to read it, and that's ok...

On the other hand I've heard the attitude of "if you read Harry Potter, you can't call yourself a Christian." I heard this sort of statement made just after I had finished reading Connie Niel's book on Harry Potter (where she goes so far as to show that it's possible that the book can open a route to share the Gospel), all I could do is smile and shake my head. the woman who made it wouldn't be convinced differently.

Personally I'm looking forward to the next book, and all the while hoping that at some point in the next two books Rowling doesn't mess it up and cross a line or two.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby blueraven » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:27 pm

I personally like it, I'm not obessed or anything but I like HP. I've read some articles about how HP is everything but fantasy, I think people are just looking to far into it. But then again this comes from someone who has always loved fantasy for the fact thats what it is. But I understand why some people rather stay away from it and then I sort of understand why some urge others to stay away *shrug* I read because I love to read, I read HP because its fiction and I love fiction.
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:10 pm

Not to compare a fantasy book to an actual belief, just as Paul used the "unknown god" comparison to reach the People of {Athens, was it?} I think that points out of fiction and myth that are understood to be as such can also be used to reach people for God in the hands of someone with that sort of annointing. However, I PERSONALLY don't see any way to do so with these particular stories, and so i won't be trying to do so, but I find nothing wrong with reading them just for entertainment as long as everything you do starts with a Biblical foundation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:50 pm

Most of my church is against Harry Potter, and so is my mom. I am too, but not because they urge me to. My pastor is an extremist, from the way I view it...he condemns alot of stuff. Very much unlike the people here, who look at it as fantasy. I've often wondered who between the two sides were right or wrong.

There was a satanist website found which said the best things to read to get yourself started down a satan worshiping road were Stephen King, JK Rowling(Or whatever her name is), and some other author. There have been non-Christians who condemned Harry Potter, and also, JK Rowling is a satanist. She practices witchcraft and things like that, from what I heard.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:24 pm

i dont know about any of that satanist stuff with rowling, but the reason id rather not read it is because they are big books that would probably be more of a hassle to read than fun to read
i dont hate it at all, but i dont like it either, i guess im nuetral

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:32 pm

Oh, I heard that the "satanist" thing was a joke, some stupid internet rumor that started as a parody. There are people who've said that Rowling is a Christian, too. I don't think she's been open enough about her beliefs for any of us to judge either way.

I've not read Harry Potter. I watched the first movie and found it very charming, but I haven't read any of the books and have no particular desire to. This isn't just a matter of conviction and that they *might* make me uncomfortable or *be wrong*... I'd probably have little to no problem with them, seeing as I am a fantasy fan... but... I just haven't wanted to read them. I've heard stuff about the simplistic writing style - that I might not like it... (I like to read kind of "highbrow" stuff... Tolkien and whatnot). I think, for now... it's the hype that's driving me away.

I might read them someday, but... probably years from now when people aren't talking about them all the time anymore.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:55 pm

Harry Potter is a very well-written fiction series. I've enjoyed reading it thus far, and will finish out the series. I really don't want this thread to get heated though, because we've discussed this in the general section, and I know where this debate can go. I read it merely for the entertainment value and not so that one day I will become a satanist. I know many christians whom I respect a great deal (adults too) that read it. So anyway, yeah, good books.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby SwordSkill » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:25 pm

it's okay. it's a fun read, but as far as stylistics and depth is concerned, it's really more of children's-books level. i guess that's why i got rather bored of it and didn't read the latest book anymore. ^^;; ehehe. and i don't particularly think it's occultic or what (except that some people are strange enough to take it so seriously).
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Rachel » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:28 pm

i am a big fan of harry potter. i think it is a good series and there are some good lessons that can be learned from it.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:00 pm

exactly what ive been trying to say shadsie, thanks

Glitch's Photostream

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:06 pm

I had been wondering when someone was going to start a topic about this.
Heh, every book forum will eventually wind up with a Harry Potter topic.

Alright, first of all:
There was a satanist website found which said the best things to read to get yourself started down a satan worshiping road were Stephen King, JK Rowling(Or whatever her name is), and some other author. There have been non-Christians who condemned Harry Potter, and also, JK Rowling is a satanist. She practices witchcraft and things like that, from what I heard.

That is false. JK Rowling is not a satanist, wiccan, witch, or anything else and she does not have anything to do with the occult. That was misinformation and outright lies spread by various articles floating around the internet. One only has to read the various interviews conducted with her to know that it's false.
There are no real occult spells in the books. 95% of the spells are a mixture of pseudo-Latin and English gibberish. 5% or so came from ancient European myths and legends. A few things like divination and astrology are slightly closer to real practices than any of the "spells" are but they are either made fun of or don't play a very big role in the story. I have a very hard time believing Harry Potter would start very many kids down the "satan worshiping road." The few that might would have other evilier influences in their lives besides Harry Potter.
The only big danger I can see is that some unsuspecting kid might type in 'witchcraft' on Google and come up with a load of occult sites. But I doubt that's a big problem among Harry Potter fans.

Anyway, if you don't like the books, don't read them. It's as simple as that. I thought that they were enjoyable to read and pretty well thought-out in story and characters so I consider myself to be a fan.
I'm waiting for the sixth book.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Twilly Spree » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:05 am

Sixth book.....I can't wait well I can but I wish it was here now.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Inferno » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:39 am

ya I can't wait either. :grin:

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Elric_kun » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:50 am

*waits patiently for 6th book* so.....long.......
Elric_kun

Postby Kireihana » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:39 pm

I like these books. I think it's kind of strange that some people are so against Harry Potter, yet embrace The Lord of the Rings. Maybe it's because Tolkien was Catholic. But both tales include Wizards, magic (LotR not so much, but still), and if you read The Silmarillion by Tolkien you come across a whole creation story, and god-like beings. (They all answer to one main god, and don't even refer to themselves as gods, though)

But aside from that, if those of you are so against witchcraft and the occult, then do you read a lot of manga or watch anime? Because that's what most anime/manga is. I'm not pointing fingers or saying you are doing that, but it's food for thought. I personally think HP has a lot of good morals in it. And as long as you don't try to go out there and actually try casting spells, I see no harm that can come from it. I don't know what's coming up in the next two books but as for the 5 that are already out, well, they're a lot less occult than some of the mangas discussed on this board. (Once again I am NOT dissing a particular manga, I'm a fan of a lot of such mangas like Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.)
Kireihana

Postby madphilb » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:34 pm

The closest HP comes to being like real life are the divination classes (and a bit of astrology). Divination is about the only thing I'm moderatly uncomfortable with, but it's infrequent use and the fact that it's basically looked down upon by most of the other professors in the school (as sort of a "junk science" as it where), I'm not too worried about it (i.e. it's not shown in a overly flattering light).

Astrology on the other hand is in the Narnia series, and in a positive light in Lewis' world. That's not to say that Lewis condones this in real life (and if I remember correctly because of this beliefs he points out in the naration that there is a difference with the stars in that world). A similarity can be seen with the Cenitars in both books, studying the stars to reviel the future.

The real danger (if any) with HP doesn't lie in the books themselves, but in tie-ins by other people and companies jumping on the bandwaggon of sorts and taking anything they can that'll make money (including some items, ideals, and literature that is bad). This is where we need to make sure we're being light and salt to the world, not by putting down the HP series, but by making sure people know the real dangers, those "other things" that are getting swept up. Encourage Peretti or Lewis books as the next read to people who enjoyed Rowlings works. Make sure that the truth that lives in us shines brighter than the lie that some sell just to make money.

For those who think Rowling is, well, all the things people keep saying, do some research. Google will get you tons info, much of which is credible and will debunk the stuff that goes around in e-mail.

One of the most popular articles to circulate is the "Harry Potter Leads Kids to Satanism" article that the Onion did. The first time (yes, I"ve gotten it more than once) I got this article I spent a good half hour writing a response to it, quoting and pointing out how insane the ideals that where presented (the worse of it was my questioning where the parents where in all this). Then I got to the end quote, something rather rude that I'll not repeat here. It was just out of character of everything I had read (and this was a while ago, many more articles and interviews with her have happened since). I spent even more time researching it, trying to verify the quote that was attributed to a London Times article, yet I could find very little searching for Rowling on there, and much where you're run-of-the-mill news stories.

I took to the internet to try to find more info, putting in "Harry Potter Satanism" into Google go the very article I was reading as the 1st hit, and when I saw that it was on the Onion I knew right away this was a joke. I erased the message, dropped the link to the original article in there and explained to the woman that it was from a Satire News page, and that it was even funnier with the pictures ;)

A quick check with sites like Truthorfiction will tell you the article is bogus and from The Onion. Sadly the article on their own web site has gotten bumped off and can't be found there.

Most of the info you've heard around can be debunked quite quickly, articles from Wiccans who laugh at the idea that the magic in the books is anyway related to what they do or believe, etc.

And while I don't recommend it, I'm sure you'll find very little to support the satanism/HP claims from satanic sites, I've poked a little (I'm glad to know that I'm not totally morally bankrupt, just looking at a satanic forum gives me the creaps!) and I think if you did you'd find quite the opposite (DO NOT do this though).

Typical info on the subject like this (<- clicky) can be found with little problems.

Oh, and to wrap this bit of my rant... you'll notice that every time you see someone connect Rowling with these sorts of things, they lack any source references.... in these cases we have to not just ask, but demand to see source references.... just cuz someone says it doesn't make it so (otherwise I'd be rich, buff, and have women falling all over me... beats doing it the hard way ;) )

One last thing before I turn over the soapbox to someone else for a while, people criticize Rowling's writing style as being simplistic and written for kids, and while that's an issue of opinion and choice (not right or wrong), I personally found that the Narnia series "talked down" to me (didn't stop me from reading it, or enjoying, just a different style). I never felt that way with the HP books, they never addressed me as anything more than a person, never came from a more elevated or older place. Made them easy to read, and I think one of the reasons that kids like them, they don't treat the readers as kids.

I'm not saying that Narnia series isn't any good, or that HP is better, more a case of different styles... Narnia is powerful, done well... there's a reason it's a classic. Much of that has to do with personal preference, and that's ok.

Ok... I've got 6 1/2 more pages of new threads... I should get back to them :lol:
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Angel37 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:54 pm

I LOVE Harry Potter. It teaches good morals in good vs. evil situations and deals with real life emotions and situations that both kids and adults can benefit from. Just because it uses magic to accomplish said goals mean nothing. It'd be like saying Cinderella is evil because the fairy godmother has a magic wand. It's pure fantasy, that's all. But that's just my opinion...

-Angel of Zarn
Angel37

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:05 pm

*looks at Angel* Your going to embarress me again, I know it...sigh. Angel, for the very last time, HARRY POTTER IS EVIL. and not good evil either, like me. It is truly Evil. but...w/e
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Angel37 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:09 pm

Because I'm yoir rosebride on this board I'll smile, bow, and say, " Whatever you wish, Zarn-san."
But that does not mean I agree with you, amigo.
-Angel of Zarn
Angel37

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:13 pm

*Smacks head* Oh, don't do that to me..thats not playing fair, playing off my guilt...*Sigh* "Fine, Angel-san, have it your way. Rosebride? are you sure? ok...
We are all as we appear
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Angel37 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:28 pm

Hai, I'm sure. You've earned it. ^_^ (aggravation is so lovelly when you've caused it out of love ^_^)
Angel37

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:25 am

oh, Gosho nindofa? *Translation: Why me?*
We are all as we appear
Zarn Ishtare

Postby blue elf » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Personally I really enjoy the Harry Potter books. I've read all the ones that are out so far and I have yet to start running around trying to cast spells on people so I'm not too worried. lol As a side note my favorite characters are Lupin and Snape. ^_^
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby Twilly Spree » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:05 am

Lupin is my favorite too!!
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:59 am

On a personal basis I like the books a lot and think they have some very positive concepts in them (humbleness, friendship, justice etc.) There is a lot of magic in the books... as in lord of the rings and many animes and mangas... I dont sit around trying to impersonate charachters actions in what I read... its all fiction. I have read a lot due to working in a bookstore and have found that many books that have overall good themes, may contain unsavory elements, and that a book written in a complicated style isn't necessarily a book that has redeeming themes, and a simply written book isn't always a boring read.

Now that thats covered... I NEVER WANT TO WORK IN A BOOKSTORE DURING A HARRY POTTER RUSH EVER AGAIN!
:bang:

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Next

Return to Book Corner