Books you've read that you're sure no one here has heard of

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Re:

Postby LastLfan » Tue May 28, 2013 6:16 am

Cianter wrote:Let's see, The Land of Elyon by Patrick Carman is a really book series, hmmmm, what else? Oh, the Dragons in our Midst series by Bryan Davis, and the Door Within trilogy by Wayne Thomas Batson, love those ones, the only ones I own.
dragons in our midst and door within are amazing. Have you read Davis's new starlighter series or Batson's new berinfall prophecies books?
LastLfan

Re: Books you've read that you're sure no one here has heard of

Postby PandaPop » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:24 am

When I was a little girl, in elementary school I read a book called Groundhogs Horse, it was about this little Indian boy and his horse (if I remember correctly). I swore for years it was my favorite book, but no one I ever told about it had heard of it, I still occasionally ask people but still no one knows lol.
PandaPop

Postby peacenotus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter. It's a memoir about her life from being taken from her biological mother at a young age, being placed in several foster homes (in one of which the kids were severely abused), and her adoption by two loving parents and two loving big brothers. I gave it to my mother, who is adopted, as a birthday gift and she loved it as well.

Leaving Fishers is a good "teen outcast is drawn into a 'religious group' that she later realizes is a cult she needs to escape" story. I think it's one of Margaret Peterson Haddix's lesser-known works.

The Book of Mordred (or anything else by Vivian Vande Velde, for that matter) is one of my "I love this, but I still don't know why" books because I'm usually not a fan of anything relating to Arthurian legends and Camelot. I also like her kind-of-a-love-story Companions of the Night, which I know someone mentioned on a previous page, and Heir Apparent.
She needs to sort out her priorities! - Ron Weasley
peacenotus

Postby WorldsTraveler » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Oh, a Velde book I haven’t heard of! Thanks for mentioning it. I’m currently hunting down a copy of A Hidden Magic.

On topic, here are a few out-of-print novels on my bookcase. It’d be neat if someone else was familiar with them.

Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant – This is the second best crossover fantasy I’ve ever read (with Narnia being the best). I can’t believe it’s out of print. Chant is an amazing world builder and writes fantastic character development. It’s one of those rare stories that portray being tossed onto another planet realistically, with all the appropriate wonder and fear. I also love the way she weaves in spiritual themes – it’s both chilling and heartwarming.

The Man Who was Magic by Paul Gallico – An old Christian fable. A man who can work real magic arrives in a town full of magicians and illusionists. It starts off a bit clichéd due to stereotyped characters, but is ultimately a charming story about innocence and miracles.
WorldsTraveler

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 am

Monster by Miriam Neal. The cover picture really put me off, I was like "What is this?" O_o but it WAS. EPIC. Really depressing though.
DecooPunk

Previous

Return to Book Corner