JtHM

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

JtHM

Postby Twilly Spree » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:54 pm

I just read Johnny the Homicdal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez last night. I really enjoyed it. Am I like the only one besides my crazy friend Kyle?
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:02 am

I read it back in '98, before I was saved. When I did get saved, I got rid of it. Graphic violence, more uses of the F-word than George Carlin in the 70's, depicted God as a lazy fat man that had been sleeping since creation, and then nny proceeds to blow everyone's heads up. So in other words, loved it then, can't stand it now. Though I am a fan of Invader Zim, It really shocked me to see Jhonen Vasquez with a show in Nickelodeon. I wonder if they even read jthm or Squee.
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:12 am

I read JTHM a while back, but I don't remember it very well. I do have a few issues of Squee! though. It's definitely interesting o_O
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Twilly Spree » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:10 am

Yeah the woman from Nickelodeon that approached him had read Squee. She liked his treatment of children.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby That Dude » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:17 pm

I would like it a lot but there is just way too much cussing and violence and such...But there were a few really funny things...Like that little "I love you mommy!!" page.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:20 pm

I've read a little of it... someone sending me scans. I think I *might* like to get the graphic novel compilation eventually.

I have a couple of issues of Squee. There are things that turn me off about it, yet some things I like. I like some of the philosophical stuff in it, and just.. dark morbid humor. I like the really non-sensical stuff, like the "Happy Noodle Boy" comics, and "Filler Bunny". But... I do get turned off by some of the cussing... and some of just the harshness of it all.

I really like Squee.. as a character, and the 2 issues of the comic I have. I like the "honesty" about childhood... as adults, we often remember it as this happy time when we were taken care of... but if we really look, and remember what things were like when we were children... it wasn't all happy... we did have things that we were afraid of, both real and imagined. I was a very imaginative child... I was afraid of lots of weird things... like... I believed that my dolls might come to life in the middle of the night and attack me and stuff. "Squee" kind of exposes that... that kind of childhood imagination where everything is possible - not just good things, but bad things, too. And Vasquez's handling of children being not the innocent angels that adults often take them for... what Pepito says about sensing cruelty in Squee's classmates, "the violence of animals".

I was picked on as a child... maybe that's why I relate.

All that, and.. Squee.. I just feel so sorry for that kid.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby Twilly Spree » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:01 am

I just bought Squee last night, so far I like it lots.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:14 pm

Haibane Shadsie wrote:"Squee" kind of exposes that... that kind of childhood imagination where everything is possible - not just good things, but bad things, too. And Vasquez's handling of children being not the innocent angels that adults often take them for... what Pepito says about sensing cruelty in Squee's classmates, "the violence of animals".

Yeah, I like that part about Squee too. Not to mention I don't like kids >:D Bwahahaha! Just kidding. Seriously though, lots of kids are so mean...:[
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Twilly Spree » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:01 pm

Kids can be mean, I like it when the institutionalize Squee and let Johnny go. It made me smile.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Return to Book Corner