Eddings

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Eddings

Postby Icarus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:17 am

Favorite works by David and Leigh Eddings?

I have eleven. Can I name all of them off-hand? No. The two series are the Belgariad, the Mallorean, and the stand alone is The Redemption of Althalus. Althalus is like a combination of Silk and Belgarath, and is consequently my favorite character that they have created.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Saint » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:14 am

Interesting. I read some of Eddings work long ago (10 years back) starting with Pawn of Prophecy and the following 4 books. So i don't really know about the one you speak of...
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Technomancer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:58 am

I've read his fantasy books, but then lost interest after finding his writing to be too repetetive.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Rachel » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:33 pm

my favorite by the two of them would have to be regina's song. very cool book. lizzie has it if you didn't know. but yeah...very cool book
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby martinloyola » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:23 pm

David and Leigh are awesome! I really enjoyed reading the mallorean and the Belgariad, I want to read some of their other series
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby EireWolf » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:12 pm

The Belgariad was quite entertaining. Eddings is unsurpassed in characterization.... :thumb:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:40 am

The wolf speaks true. Actually, you've hit on one of my favorite "brain dead" authors. Meaning, I don't have to be really paying attention to figure out what's going on. Unlike, say, Neil Stephenson. Let's see... I have... 16 books by Eddings. Whoa. Didn't know I had that many. Huh...
Mithrandir

Postby Flying_Penguen » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:59 pm

I really like the books that he and his wife make they are like he said kind of a no brian read, it is fluid and reads well, it is also a lot of fun to read.
Flying_Penguen

Postby Shinsei » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:07 am

Eddings was the first fantasy I ever read. I have all of his books except that latest one, the one with the sleeping gods or whatever. He's pretty good, but kinda lite. I like a heavier fantasy nowadays, like Robin Hobb or George RR Martin. Still, Eddings is great.
Shinsei

Postby Namelessknight » Mon May 30, 2005 11:58 am

Technomancer wrote:I've read his fantasy books, but then lost interest after finding his writing to be too repetetive.

Gotta second that. After Belgariad and Mallorean, everything just ran along parallel tracks. Love the stuff, but magic jewels and gods just make the characters unstoppable.

The Dreamers, their latest, isn't even challenging. You KNOW they can't lose, so there is just no suspense...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Return to Book Corner