William Gibson

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

William Gibson

Postby Straylight » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:11 pm

I'm a huge fan of Gibson. I've read "Neuromancer" and "Count Zero", just about to grab "Mona Lisa Overdrive". In case you don't know, this author invented a genre called "Cyberpunk". Without him, I doubt films like "The Matrix", "Ghost in the Shell" and "Akira" would exist...

Gibson's "Sprawl" world is essentially the world that we live in today, twisted back on itself. In this dark future, frightening scientific possibilites that we see today exist everywhere, and corporations have more power than governments.

I should point out that the books contain mature themes (think 1984 kinda levels). However if you can handle that kinda stuff, it is a must read. Gibson is a very fast paced writer and has a talent for describing things in great detail using only a few sentences. He invents new words and knits sentences together in ways that will send shivers down your spine.

In the future (give about 20 years) I suspect that schools will start using these books in classes -- it's that kinda writing.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Technomancer » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:21 pm

Definately great books, although I think "Virtual Light" was the most enjoyble read of all of his books. "Pattern Recognition" wasn't bad either.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby SwordSkill » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:19 pm

Virtual Light and Idoru are in my to-read part of the bookshelf XD XD...and i think having the setting in Japan (for Idoru) would definitely be a plus. no other place best for cyberpunk, in my opinion. Rei Toei would be a very interesting character, methinks...^^ and very applicable in this decade.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:33 am

Being a fan of cyberpunk stuff (and the fact that I used to be pretty huge into ShadowRun), you'd think I'd be a fan of William Gibson. I tried reading Idoru once, but just couldn't get into it (though I do admit that I had way too many books to read at the time). I thought the idea was brilliant though. So I've got a question, say I knew absolutely nothing about this, but want to start somewhere. What would you recommend to a person to introduce them to Gibson's work?
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby Straylight » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:55 am

I've only read two Gibson novels, but out of the two I thought Count Zero was a fairly easy thing to read. It has all the right elements, and it draws you in very well, even though it's actually three stories, which collide at the end. There is a mystery that runs throughout the book, and in the finale this is revealed spectacularly.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:38 am

i think Neuromancer's considered to be his best work by the critics...at least, that's what comes to mind when you mention W. Gibson since that was what he was most famous for. i guess you could also start with that, with his "best" work.
SwordSkill

Postby Technomancer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:32 am

He's most famous for Neuromancer, but it's a fairly dense read. In any case, it's part of a loose trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive). His other main series was the Rydell trilogy which consisted of Virtual Light, Idoru, and All Tomorrow's Parties. As I mentioned, he also has a new stand-alone novel called Pattern Recognition, and a book of short stories called Burning Chrome.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:40 am

lol, i'm still eyeing the copies of All Tomorrow's Parties and Burning Chrome at the bookstore, but i have to pace myself with the wallet since they're not cheap copies. XD

i don't think you necessarily have to "know" something specific when you start on Gibson. i think as long as you follow the sequence of the trilogies, it wouldn't be so difficult getting the hang of it.

it really amazes me how deeply he had already thought of the future in terms of cyberspace this early on. it's quite groundbreaking...like another H.G. Wells of our time.
SwordSkill

Postby Technomancer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:01 pm

I've always used the public library to get his new ones. You may have to wait a while if you're low on the hold list, but compared to what it would cost to buy them, it's still worth it.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:26 pm

lol, i've checked our university library. absolutely NOTHING on William Gibson. ^^;; books aren't exactly our forte here, so i guess i'll have to take the expensive way.
SwordSkill

Return to Book Corner