This Present Darkness

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Frank Peretii

Postby Zilch » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:40 pm

Any fans of Frank Peretii's duology here?
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:47 pm

I was just about to make a thread about Frank Peretti. It really doesn't matter though, less work for me to do. This Present Darkness is really the only one that I have read right now, even though I have the second book and also The Visitation. The books are definitely worth reading and it is good to know that he wrote them while working at a ski factory.
Lochaber Axe

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:30 pm

I've read this present darkness and pierceing the darkness, I liked them quite a bit. He presented spiriatual warfair in a very realistic and quite entertaining manner. It was kind of an eye opener really. While Im not one of the fans that thinks he can do no wrong. These two books were definatly high calibur. Id recoment them to anybody with the exception of someone who cant read.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Straylight » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:44 pm

A while ago, I lent "This Present Darkness" to my best friend, who became a Christian after reading it. Kinda goes without saying that I really dig the book. I was careful to explain that the details of spiritual warfare portrayed in the book should not be taken as fact though.

Now I'm tempted to check out the rest of the series..
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby madphilb » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:59 pm

I've read both "darkness" books as well as his next two that followed. I haven't had a chance to read anything else he's done though, should add it to my list of "things to read."

I didn't care for "Prophet" as much as the "darkness" books, but it's an ok read... different style.

Oath is killer, would make a great movie, killer concept.

I first heard about This Present Darkness from one of the video shows that they used to show on my local Christian station (I think it was the one from Pitsburg, PA when Tom Green was still there)... anyway, Peretti himself had read part of the book, and it sounded really cool, so I rushed out that week and got my copy. Didn't finish it for a while though (I'm slow to start some books, but once I got going I couldn't put it down).

I was so bummed when I was up north and went to a Christian book store looking for Piercing the Darkness and it wasn't due out for a couple months... so I got a Stephen Lawhead book instead (but that's a story for another thread).

I actually lost my copy of the 1st book by loaning it out (hope it made a difference in the persons life though)... but was "lucky" to find a copy in a thrift store (local hospice thrift store) for like 25 cents!

I guess they sell it now with both books together in one volume, though they aren't directly related.

Hmm.... I might have to pull them out and read them again, it's been a long time.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Zilch » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:09 pm

Oath is an incredible book. You're right, it would make a great movie.

I wasn't impressed with Prophet, either. The ending was dissapointing.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby SwordSkill » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:22 pm

read the two "Darkness" books, the Prophet, and the Oath. didn't care much for the books he wrote that were more oriented towards younger audiences, but still, i like his style. of course, being a Christian book, it would be rather preachy, but i'm glad it was sort of toned down so it could stand as a literary work by itself on its own.

i REALLY loved seeing the angels characterized. ^^
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Saint Kevin » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:44 pm

I agree. Seeing angels and spiritual warfare described in a realistic way is something that will definitely leave you thinking about your own narrow perspective, and also reevaluating some priorities in your life. I did me at least. I've only read This Present Darkness and no other books by the same author. Also, I don't remember the ending, or really much else from it for that matter, so I guess I'll have to read it again. Thanks for reminding me of this book.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:50 am

I loved this book! Despite some charasmaticisms that even I don't necissarily agree with (I consider myself a Charasmatic) I thought this book was excelent. People say his writing skills weren't very refined, but I don't think anyone can honestly dismiss his Storytelling ability, even if he didn't have the other aspects mastered. This is not my favorite Peretti book, by the way. My favorite would most definately be "The Oath." In fact, I am borrowing from it in a way for my own book. I love Peretti's style and the oath is the pinnacle of that.

My brother's brother in law was working on a film adaptation of "This Present Darkness" I saw some of it, and it looked promising, but they sorta stopped... He's got other projects to work on, and may pick this back up when he's done...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby thorn1ofmany » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:19 am

Yes! Yes! The Oath ruled, scared the crap out of me and I didn't even relize it was a Christian book until I got towards the end. I heard Frank Peretii speak one time at Spirit West Coast, the man was hilarious and also had a deep touching message.
A thorn in the side annoys.
A thorn in the heart slays.
thorn1ofmany

Postby Icarus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:09 am

Alright, I liked This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness, but they aren't my favorite by him. I think, in order, they would be:The Oath, The Visitation, and The Prophet. I haven't read them in some time, but I do remember that I cried while reading The Prophet, and that "Brown gets moldy in the rain."
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby That Dude » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:27 pm

Yeah I've read almost all of his books...

Darkness--They were both really good. It shows spiritual warfare better than almost anything besides th Archangels comics.

Oath---Great book..

Visitation-- It was really trippy. It didn't even seem like a Perreti book for a while.

Prophet--Good one...Not as good as the rest of his stuff but still good.

Yeah I've seen him before...He bought a shirt from us (me and my freinds helped out at the Steeling The Mind biblr conf) yeah I talked to his wife and stuff...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:42 am

I've read most of Peretti's works, so I won't bother to list them. I'd say that I liked them in detail, but by this point it would be merely redundant.

Needless to say, both Darkness books are my personal favorites, and has somewhat of an impact on me (Some elements of The Fall were taken from the series).

Beyond this, I'm not sure what to say. Do we have any serious discussion to partake of?
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:00 pm

I'd have to be in process to do that... It's been a long time since I read any of his books. I could read the cooper kids books in the course of a week, though. I've got the first 4 in a box set, haven't read any of the others. I loved the thing in Island of Aquarius. You know... The thing... That kills people. [spoiler=the thing]The bee or wasp that stings people with acidic venom or something like that.[/spoiler] I read those for book reports in elementary school (probably 6th grade... I went to a school where Jr. High started in 7th grade) I also read this present darkness that year... A lot of peretti... Probably because I was into sci-fi and fantasy type stuff, so most Christian's children's books were boring to me and I never dreamed of reading a *gasp* non-Christian book. I loved everything Peretti penned. It was all so exciting to me. In 7th grade, I read The Oath and The Prophet as well. The Oath was my favorite. It really shocked me how violent a Christian book can get. That was when I got all my Bible reading from Sunday School teachers, so I didn't have the violent Biblical events to refer to.

His work inspired me in a lot of ways. I may want to reread his stuff and read some of it for the first time (Visitation and the horror series for kids he's been writing... Oh, and that autobiography he wrote)... I've got a lot on my "To Read" list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Gypsy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:02 pm

I'd consider myself a Peretti fan. Like just about everyone else, his depiction of Spiritual Warfare really made the concept click for me like nothing else had. I also loved The Oath.

The last book I read by him, though, didn't really impress me. Actually, I was rather disappointed by it - but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.
Gypsy

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:17 pm

I love most of his books... I think that the kids series was a little formulaic.
The oath scared me really bad... I actually let the hot water in the shower hit my chest for too long right after I read the book and saw the red mark it left on my chest and... yeah I freaked out... anyone who read the book will know what I'm talking about.
I really enjoyed the Darkness series, and like others would have to say it really explained spiritual warfare in the clearest terms since Screwtape Letters or the Ishbane books.
Out of the darkness series I personally lived Guido. Now thats my kind of guardian angel!!!!

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Book Corner