Dragons in Our Midst and Oracles of Fire

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Dragons in Our Midst and Oracles of Fire

Postby SeraphicCharm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:48 pm

Anybody read 'em? In my opinion, they are some of the best books in Christian fiction. But that's probably just because they involve dragons as good guys (meaning amazing warriors for Jesus), which is a gigantic plus for me ^^. Anybody have any thoughts or comments?
SeraphicCharm

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:46 pm

I read the first book of Dragons in Our Midst while I was trying to read everything classified as Christian fantasy (sadly, not too difficult a task). While I have my differences with Bryan Davis, I hope his series is successful for the sake of the field.

If you haven't already, I recommend taking a look at Marcher Lord Press:
http://www.marcherlordpress.com/Home.htm

Judging from your reading patterns, you might like some of their work. By Darkness Hid is the most like the Dragons series or Never Ceese. Again, I wouldn't 100% endorse these books, but they're the only people moving Christian fiction forward in terms of fantasy and other interesting genres.
uc pseudonym

Postby SeraphicCharm » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Wow, thank you! I'll definitely look into that!
SeraphicCharm

Postby Chrysolite » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:37 pm

I read the first two books of Dragons in our Midst. I thought the concept was ingenius, and that's what kept me hooked for two books. I mean, dragons turning into people and having kids who develop dragon powers? Golden idea! I wish the character development/interaction had been better, though. :shady: The characters were okay, but I had a hard time deeply connecting with them for some reason. I also thought the dialogue was kinda lame most of the time. I certainly didn't dislike the books, but I didn't like them enough to stay hooked. Hopefully I didn't quit right before things got really good. :sweat:
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby rocklobster » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:44 pm

I read the first book not long ago. I like it, but I think he needs to be more subtle about the biblical stuff. Lewis didn't bring up bible verses all the time, and he still wrote a Christian fantasy. So did Tolkien.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Book Corner