The Inkheart trilogy

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Inkheart trilogy

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:29 am

I've been reading the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. It tells the adventures of Mortimer and his daughter Meggie. Mortimer is a book binder who has the ability to literally bring characters to life by reading books aloud. Unfortunately, he's brought Capricorn, a villain from a book called Inkheart ,to life. Now he and Meggie are caught in his web of evil.
The three books are Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath. I haven't read the final book yet, but I'm enjoying the series. Funke has a very elegant style, making it easy to lose yourself in the books.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:31 pm

I've read Inkheart, it was a pretty good book. I like Funke's prose, but usually the plot isn't as good. I enjoyed Inkheart, but I didn't really feel compelled to read Inkspell.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Esoteric » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1360560) wrote:I've read Inkheart, it was a pretty good book. I like Funke's prose, but usually the plot isn't as good. I enjoyed Inkheart, but I didn't really feel compelled to read Inkspell.

Ditto. I wanted to really like the book because of the neat idea, but the second half fell kinda flat. I actually preferred the movie's ending to the book's.
Esoteric

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Nah, I don't think the ending was as bad as the movies, the movie's was a HUGE deus ex machina, while the books wasn't. I just didn't feel compelled to read anymore.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm

If the book doesn't have the movie's ridiculous ending, I may be tempted to check it out, because I ended the movie with my main impression being "that premise could have led to something so much better than it was".
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Esoteric » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1360636) wrote:Nah, I don't think the ending was as bad as the movies, the movie's was a HUGE deus ex machina, while the books wasn't.

How was it all that different? Sure Hollywood beefed up the scene quite a bit for show, but the core solution to defeating the villain was essentially the same. I guess what bothered me the most about the book's ending was that it was obvious sequel bait. At least the movie tried to wrap up loose ends (i.e. DustFinger).
If the book doesn't have the movie's ridiculous ending, I may be tempted to check it out, because I ended the movie with my main impression being "that premise could have led to something so much better than it was".
That's my impression as well (regarding both the book and movie).
Esoteric

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:20 am

[SIZE="1"]
I read Inkheart years ago, and loved it. I can't say I was disappointed in the movie, but that's simply because I had low expectations. I didn't like the movie, though. It's as if they rushed the last moments of the film to make one large "explanation". I preferred the books ending, and the book in general. ^^

I have Inkspell, but have yet to read it. (curse this required reading >.> )
I can't believe there's another! >w< [/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:38 pm

I actually saw the movie first, and was extremely impressed that it's actually a good movie, rather than just a good adaptation. So I was excited to read the book, and though the book was great and all, I think overall I prefer the movie. The book tends to drag in some places, while they're waiting for certain things to happen, and like Esoteric I really appreciated how they wrapped up Dustfinger more in the movie. You're really not getting a whole lot more if you read the book, so I would generally recommend the movie over it. Also, the story ended in such a way that I don't really feel like I need to read the others, unless someone tells me that it's really good.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Song_of_Storms » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1360890) wrote:I actually saw the movie first, and was extremely impressed that it's actually a good movie, rather than just a good adaptation. So I was excited to read the book, and though the book was great and all, I think overall I prefer the movie. The book tends to drag in some places, while they're waiting for certain things to happen, and like Esoteric I really appreciated how they wrapped up Dustfinger more in the movie. You're really not getting a whole lot more if you read the book, so I would generally recommend the movie over it. Also, the story ended in such a way that I don't really feel like I need to read the others, unless someone tells me that it's really good.

[SIZE="1"]You enjoy squashing my fandom, Wolf? X3

No, really though. The options seem to be mixed on which was better, but since this thread is called The Inkheart Trilogy, and there was only ONE movie... I'm just assuming this is for the books. >w<

-but "wrapping up" Dustfinger didn't solve anything. The book left you desiring more, because you wanted to find out what becomes of him.
Over the course of the story, you cared about the well-being of the characters.
The movies ending was like "Meh, lets just wrap this up and give them a happy, semi-illogical ending." [/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:04 am

Song_of_Storms (post: 1360947) wrote:The movies ending was like "Meh, lets just wrap this up and give them a happy, semi-illogical ending."

What was semi-illogical about the movie's ending? Made perfect sense to me.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Return to Book Corner