Books Recommendations Thread

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Books Recommendations Thread

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:14 am

I thought I'll make a thread about recommended books (if that's o.k.:) Post a recommended book or ask about a book.

Here are some books I recommend buying/pre-ordering:

Still Standing: The Untold Story of My Fight Against Gossip, Hate, and Political Attacks by Carrie Prejean

Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin 11/17/09

Sorry, these are the only books I can think of right now.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:39 pm

I recommend the Percy Jackson series and the Pendragon Adventure series.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:00 pm

I strongly recommend the book UnChristian. Great read by the Barna group.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Bunny » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:58 am

I've been pushing myself to read books outside what I'm assigned in my classes so I've been purchasing books that run in certain themes to read each semester. This time I've picked Africa and the Middle East. So far I've read What is the What by Dave Eggers and started on Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi.

What is the What is an amazing, mostly true novel about a refugee from Sudan and his experiences in becoming an American. What makes it unique from all the stories you read in the news is that it's told from the POV of a Dinka and not a Darfurian. You learn so much about Sudanese culture and the nature of the conflict over there but the arc of the story has a beautiful focus on the universal nature of cruelty and injustice. Dave Eggers is a really important contemporary author to know too and I just never get tired of him. If you're interested in good books, Dave founded McSweeney's, which is an indie publishing house and prints uniformly magnificent and quirky books.

Reading Lolita in Tehran has been an incredible read. I picked it up after getting interested in Iranian film and it's just so heartwarming. It takes place in revolutionary Tehran (around the 70's and 80's) and focuses on the author's attempts to school seven women in off-limits literature, mainly books that spoke on the free will of women. The girls slowly learn to express themselves and find pride in their gender. It's a very rewarding memoir so far.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby GeneD » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:49 am

mechana2015 (post: 1355321) wrote:I strongly recommend the book UnChristian. Great read by the Barna group.

I will second this recommendation. A very interesting read and it can be a real eye-opener.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Once again I must pimp out House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's quite a commitment, and at times will even bore the reader. But in the end, it's immensely satisfying.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:14 pm

How not to Write a Novel - A well presented book on the fiction writing process.
http://www.amazon.com/Write-Novel-Them-Misstep-Misstep/dp/0061357952/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258323162&sr=8-1

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:30 pm

The Mortal Engines series, by Philip Reeve. In the far future, cities on wheels, called Traction Cities, hunt each other on the remains of Europe, eating each other in a system called Muncipal Darwinism. With a concept like that, it has to be good, right? Well, it is.

There's four books in the series, with a prequel, Fever Crumb, available in Europe (US release is in March/April). The first, Mortal Engines, is an introduction to the concept and world. A young historian from London finds himself chucked out of the city with a girl who tried to assassinate his idol, meets up with an Asian airship pilot, and finds an undead cyborg, who gives chase.

The next two, Predator's Gold and Infernal Devices, are slower and not as good, but are necessary reading to understand the final book, A Darkling Plain. The characters grow older and develop in the middle two, and the third sets up the main plot for the fourth. The threat of war between the Traction Cities and a radical anti-Traction faction, which had been simmering near the surface through the series, becomes reality, and things get considerably more complicated.

Anyway, a very fun read, if you can find it.

Also, Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi. It's a memoir of a woman growing up in post-Revolutionary Iran, told in graphic novel form. It deals with some very heavy themes, and, as you probably know, just because it's in comic book form, doesn't mean it's kid-friendly. That is in full effect here. It is one of the most emotionally wrenching books I've read, and yet, it's not without moments of great levity. It's very challenging slice-of-life, really. There's a movie based on it, which I'll see...eventually. Look it up if you can handle it, and if you need a good Western graphic novel.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:34 pm

If you want a good laugh, the Hitchhiker's Guide books are always good. There are five books in the series, but I would suggest you skip out on the final book. It's just not as good as the others, which are:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restuarant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe, and Everything
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Book Corner