Guy Gavriel Kay

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Guy Gavriel Kay

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:47 pm

I've heard many great things about Guy Gavriel Kay, but I was just wondering: How are his books, content-wise? My brother is reading one of his books, and he said there was some bad content in it. Is that usual for Kay?
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kaori » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:25 pm

The only books of his I have read are the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy. They were memorable, well-written fantasy books (well, as far as I remember, they were well-written), but in one of the books--either the second or third--there was a somewhat explicit sex scene. Also, there is a character who is raped, though that is not portrayed in an explicit way, and I would say that the author treats the issue with appropriate weight by emphasizing how very damaging it was to the victim. Come to think of it, there are a some other (non-explicit) instances as well, so the amount of sexuality is a bit high, and the author portrays sex outside of marriage as a normal thing.

Hope that helps.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Return to Book Corner