The 'Uglies' Series

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby akiachan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Uglies
"Everybody gets to be supermodle gorgeous. What Could be wrong with that?"
Tally is about to turn 16, and she can't wait. Not for her license- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your 16th birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world- and it isn't very pretty. The authorites offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Pretties
"Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect. Perfectly wrong."

Specials
"Special Circumstances."

Extras
"Fame."
'Tech heads' flaunt their latest gadgets, 'kickers' spread gossip and trends, and 'surge monkeys' are hooked on extrem plastic sugery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different cameras. The world is like a gigantic game of American Idol. Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most viotes. Popularity rules.

I absolutely ADORE this series. It was the first set of books that introduced me to the world of young adult fiction (Ok, that was the Twilight series... but I'll change 'young adult fiction' to 'smart young adult fiction'). Each book dives deeper and deeper into what makes a human exactly that- human. Is it the brain? Is it individuality? This series asks all those questions and more.

If you're like me (meaning you like to know the detials- the pipeworks- that is behind a series), pick up An Insider's Guide to the World of Uglies: Boogus to Bubbly. It's a guide book written by the Uglies series writter Scott Westerfeld.
akiachan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 pm

Merged your two posts (remember, you can use the edit button if you've left something out!), but my roommate loves this series! XD I haven't read them myself, but I like dystopian society stuff, and this sounds like a similar concept. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby akiachan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Let me know if you read them.

These books SCREAM "make some movies!"
akiachan

Postby Tarnish » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 am

Tarnish

Postby Sheol777 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:15 am

^
Nice catch.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby airichan623 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:18 pm

I LOVE THE UGLIES SERIES!!! I love tally and shay, the complex love triangle of trent(was it?), david, and tally, and the Japan references in Extras. I cried at the end of Specials. And I loved trying to figure out which "Rusty city" each of their cities is. Tally's seems to be San Fran (Death Valley reference, forest climate nearby) and Diego is most likely San Diego. And Aya's town is probably Tokyo.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby GwenneZ » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:05 am

I've read them all except for Extras. I really liked them. I like that author in general. Westerfield has also written the Midnighters which I really like.
Konnichi Wa peoplez!!!

COWS GO MOO! IF WE WERE COWS, WE WOULD, TOO!

The world will tell you who you are until you tell the world

Never Alone

[font=Arial]@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font]
GwenneZ

Postby Esoteric » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 pm

Tarnish wrote:This sounds really, really familiar.

Exactly what I was thinking....
Esoteric

Postby Sanji07 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 pm

I read the first volume way back last December, and it was quite interesting. The only problem is that I don't like reading about romance...
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Return to Book Corner