Postby rocklobster » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Who were the writers you liked growing up? Mine were:
Whoever ghost wrote Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books
Roald Dahl
C.S. Lewis
Madeline L'Engle
S.E. Hinton
the ghost writer for Tom Swift
Astrid Lindgren (writer of Pippi Longstocking)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Maokun » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 pm

In somewhat chronological order as I grew up until 15:

Hans Christian Anderson, Perrault and Brothers Grimm :P
Enyd Blyton (Creator of "The Five")
Oscar Wilde (His short tales are amazing)
C.S. Lewis
Richard Adams (From Watership Down's fame, though Shardik is rather awful)
Charles Dickens
Agatha Christie
Ellery Queen
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Edgar Allan Poe
J.R.R. Tolkien
Maokun

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:53 pm

c.s. lewis
ray bradberry
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Oh man. Let's see...

Dr. Seuss
Shel Silverstein
Eric Carle
Thornton W. Burgess
E.B. White (Stuart Little is one of the best children's books of all time, hands down)
A.A. Milne (so is Winnie the Pooh)
Robert Louis Stevenson

All of the above are authors of books I read and read again in my early childhood, but if my middle-schoolish years count, the following definitely deserve a mention:

J.R.R. Tolkien
Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lowry and of course, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by Tolkien remain some of my favorite books to this day. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Stan & Jan Berenstein, Roald Dahl, R.L. Stine, Michael Crichton.
And every preadolescent male ought to read at least a few Hardy Boys novels.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:26 am

Fiction:
Dr. Seuss
A.A. Milne
Gordon Korman
J.R.R. Tolkien
Astrid Lindgren
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Isaac Aasimov
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Non-Fiction:
Carl Sagan
Isaac Aasimov
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:29 am

When I was in elementary school I read Michael Chrichton And Christopher Rowley. When I was in middle school I read every Brian Jacques book I could get my hands on. It's a bit of a weird switch.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Dr. Seuss (I taught myself to read with Go, Dog, Go!)

Bill Peet (I remember thinking the buildings always looked sad in those books, especially the one where a boy is trying to figure out what he wishes he was. The one about the mountain goat whose antlers wouldn't stop growing also made me shudder, because of the terrified expression on the goat's face.)

Stan and Jan Berenstein (I loved the Berenstein Bears books, because my family at the time was exactly like theirs - mom, dad, older brother, younger sister)

whoever wrote Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel and the one about the snow shovel - Katy or something?

Lois Gladys Leppard (I was obsessed with the Mandie books for years and years, from when I was nine till I was old enough to start fantasizing over the budding romance between Mandie and Joe.)

Jude Watson (He wrote the Jedi Apprentice books - all except the first one. I've read those books a bajillion times; they were practically my life for a year or two before I discovered Tolkien.)

E. Nesbit and Edward Eager (There was a period of my childhood where I read nothing else but these books where children find magic in their backyard. I longed to find a magic coin or carpet myself, but alas! I never did.)

Then in fifth grade, I was thrust into the world of fantasy with Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Return to Book Corner