Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies

Postby Technomancer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:49 am

All things considered, this probably does improve the book:

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2009/02/pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies.html
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kkun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:41 am

Sign.
Me.
Up.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Ashley » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:55 am

*seethes with rage* The only good that could possibly come from this is if it caused the real Jane Austen to become so possessed with unholy, demonic rage, she actually became a zombie and ate the brains of everyone involved with this horrible project.
Ashley

Postby animewarrior » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:06 am

*ROFL* lol that's neat.
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Kkun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 am

Ashley (post: 1286040) wrote:*seethes with rage* The only good that could possibly come from this is if it caused the real Jane Austen to become so possessed with unholy, demonic rage, she actually became a zombie and ate the brains of everyone involved with this horrible project.

Wouldn't happen. The guy who was involved in crafting the "bone-crunching" sequences of zombie violence is probably ready for that and keeps a shotgun with him at all times. Zombie Jane Austen would probably be on the receiving end of a brain liquefying head shot.

And with that, I'm ordering a copy of this as soon as I get paid again. I know one professor at school who would probably get a kick out of it.
Kkun

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:27 pm

That is incredibly funny. I might read it someday for the lulz.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:37 pm

After all the BBC productions, I need this.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

COMPLETE WITH 20 ILLUSTRATIONS.

I want to read this now.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:43 pm

While the idea is absurd enough to be amusing, I'm sure enough of the original novel would have survived that I think I'd find it too repulsive to get through.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kkun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1286076) wrote:While the idea is absurd enough to be amusing, I'm sure enough of the original novel would have survived that I think I'd find it too repulsive to get through.

As far as I'm concerned, this is probably the only way I'll ever read any of Pride and Prejudice of my own volition.
Kkun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 pm

LOL I heard about this the other day; it sounds incredibly hilarious. XDD All it needs now is a zombified president, and I'm ready to read it. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 pm

I heard about this several days ago too. I'm really interested because I tried reading P & P (only got 50 pages or more in) and found it a terrible bore. I don't like zombies much either, but combined - maybe they can be something good.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Ashley wrote:*seethes with anticipation* The second most awesome thing that could possibly come from this is if it caused the real Jane Austen to become so possessed with envy over how much better this is than the original, that she actually became a zombie and shook the hands of everyone involved with this unbelievably amazing project.

I fixed your post for you Ash.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Technomancer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:27 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1286203) wrote:I heard about this several days ago too. I'm really interested because I tried reading P & P (only got 50 pages or more in) and found it a terrible bore. I don't like zombies much either, but combined - maybe they can be something good.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not a fan of either, but I don't think I'd turn down a chance to try this book and see whether it benefits from the combination.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby ich1990 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:57 am

I want this to be the first Jane Austen book I ever read.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Ashley » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Wow...I thought there were more Austen fans around here, but I guess they all got holed up at my last college. I happened to like Pride and Prejudice zombie free.

Oh, and thanks for that, Nate. Don't know what'd I do without you.
Ashley

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I like the movie versions of her books :D
Shao Feng-Li

Postby shade of dae » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Ashley (post: 1286323) wrote:Wow...I thought there were more Austen fans around here, but I guess they all got holed up at my last college. I happened to like Pride and Prejudice zombie free.

Oh, and thanks for that, Nate. Don't know what'd I do without you.

I a fan of Jane Austen's books as well Ashley, but honestly? Things are more fun zombiefied.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Ashley wrote:Oh, and thanks for that, Nate. Don't know what'd I do without you.

Wither away and die I suppose.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Return to Book Corner