Animorphs

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Animorphs

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:09 pm

[color="DarkOrchid"] I'm starting to reread this series and I'm wondering if anyone else remembers it.

I actually never read the end of the series. I stopped at, like, the fifteenth to the end or something. I don't know why I stopped either, because I love the series itself to pieces.

I'm on book 18 of my re-reading, and if I keep up my current one book a day thing, I'll be at the end in a month or so. As long as I don't get distracted by the rest of my reading list. [/color]

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:02 am

I used to like it. I thought it was a good concept. I just wish the series actually ended.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:48 am

I've got the last book, but I'm still trying to find ten or so books before it and read them first. I'm very annoyed that my library doesn't have the entire series.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:07 pm

[color="DarkOrchid"]I lost my original copies of, like, one through thirty and all the extras. I think my parents accidentally gave them to Goodwill. I got, like, 40 in an Ebay auction really cheap, but they're sporadic in numbers. I'm going to write up a list of the ones I'm missing after Christmas and start browsing Amazon.

Who was your favorite?[/color]

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Lengai » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I liked Tobias. And Cassie. Animorphs was and is probably my favorite book series. Ever. I still read it, and I play on an Animorphs RPG. :) But, I also come to this topic (I probably would not post otherwise, because it's probably a bit late to be posting on it) is that I found a "Christian" website called "Exposing Satanism" that bashes Animorphs.

I'm wondering what others of you think about this article. I wrote a rebuttal to it several years ago and never got a reply from the webmaster. I tried again today and the e-mail won't go through. I'll post it in another reply (sorry for the impending double post!) because it's too long.
He is God / In His purpose / I will stand / I've been renewed by Him alone / We've been made by the Maker / Bought by the Buyer Broken / by the Breaker / I am His.
My Art
Lengai

Postby Lengai » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 pm

This is my response to the above-mentioned article.

Let's give this another go. I became a Christian when I was eight years old, in 1999. I'm a high school senior currently. I love God and I love his Word. Christianity is about love, you know. You know what else I am? I'm an Animorphs fan. It was my favorite book to read as a kid. I ate it up, and I still go back and read my fairly big collection of said series. And I have not been negatively influenced by the content of these books. They have not hindered my Christian walk, even as I have been reading them for over ten years. But, in case that testimony isn't enough, I'm going to tear down this 'article'.

"I read all but the last four books. However, I did read the book Miss Applegate wrote about the Ellimist and Crayak. The beginning of this book starts out with the Ellimist talking to a dying Animorph. The story makes it seem like the Ellimist is almost afraid of Crayak. The Ellimist starts out as a humanoid creature who is sent out on a journey when his planet is destroyed. Through a series of adventures the Ellimist is transformed into a god-like creature. (It definitely sounds like some of the New-age beliefs to me. I believe that even the Mormon church believes that.)"

Okay, this is true. But you HAVE to keep in mind that these are ALIENS. They are not real, this is science fiction, and every kid who picks the book up knows it. While some kids practice magic because of books, no one really believes in the aliens as depicted in Animorphs. The Ellimist and Crayak may correlate some in their characteristics to deities, but they are STILL aliens and FICTIONAL. And I disagree with the assumed connection - the Ellimist sounds like a being that went through an experience similar to that of Gautama Buddha, not particularly New-Age, even though I can see why one would try to think of it as transcendental meditation. Even though this is still a false concept, the Ellimist relates more to Buddhism than Satanism, what your site is apparently dedicated to 'exposing'. Even so, we're working with fiction, and I personally never was influenced by the nature of the Ellimist and Crayak. I did disagree with their natures, mind you, even as a child. But I knew they were written as aliens, and that this was NOT to be taken as Truth.

[I]"At the end of this book, the Ellimist tells the dying Animorph that, although he supposedly loves life and can save her, he will not. Her “soulâ€
He is God / In His purpose / I will stand / I've been renewed by Him alone / We've been made by the Maker / Bought by the Buyer Broken / by the Breaker / I am His.
My Art
Lengai

Postby Dante » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:29 pm

I loved animorphs when I was a little kid... but was highly sad that every series began by having the first forty pages reiterate the events in the last series... as though you were just starting it for the first time mid-way through the series O_o. As I got older I stopped reading them... College took up too much time.

I once had a friend :( (I had to stop being his friend even though I was still his friend and... it just really bothered me how I was forced to cut off our friendship) who said he was a Yerk... If he was a Yerk I was cool with them invading the Earth... The idea doesn't spook me as much now that I'm older (it did alot when I was younger though)... Back then I remember spending a lot of time trying to convince him that he was NOT a Yerk however because he was too nice to be a Yerk and Yerks were the antagonists of the book (and hence in a child's mind evil).

The idea isn't as frightening now... especially if I could get a scientifically intellectual Yerk... Two minds are better then one ;) (Especially because you can read their mind and they yours).... I might even make friends with the little fellow. Everything else we'd probobly make many of the same decisions anyway. If I DID have a yerk though, I think I'd like to spend most of my time close to that pool of stuff they need and him have daily doses to keep up his intellectual nature... I'd also like to work out advanced theories of space time and number theory with him (her?) while taking time to enjoy nature (because they can't see naturally). We might even form a symbiotic relationship that met both of our desires for new and original experiences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animorphs

I could actually relate to the main character well because I used to have that hair style when I was younger :P. Although I liked Tobias better too... named my pet Love Bird that... misses Tobias T_T... She loved me so much. And I still love and miss her when I think about her.

(The TV series on Nickalodeon also was a horrible adaptation of series... the characters seemed nothing like those from the books and were too old (and hence I couldn't relate to them well as I was still in elementary school and they all looked like they might be ready to graduate from high school)).
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby rocklobster » Thu May 07, 2009 9:09 am

[quote="Lengai (post: 1301787)"]
This is my response to the above-mentioned article.

Let's give this another go. I became a Christian when I was eight years old, in 1999. I'm a high school senior currently. I love God and I love his Word. Christianity is about love, you know. You know what else I am? I'm an Animorphs fan. It was my favorite book to read as a kid. I ate it up, and I still go back and read my fairly big collection of said series. And I have not been negatively influenced by the content of these books. They have not hindered my Christian walk, even as I have been reading them for over ten years. But, in case that testimony isn't enough, I'm going to tear down this 'article'.

"I read all but the last four books. However, I did read the book Miss Applegate wrote about the Ellimist and Crayak. The beginning of this book starts out with the Ellimist talking to a dying Animorph. The story makes it seem like the Ellimist is almost afraid of Crayak. The Ellimist starts out as a humanoid creature who is sent out on a journey when his planet is destroyed. Through a series of adventures the Ellimist is transformed into a god-like creature. (It definitely sounds like some of the New-age beliefs to me. I believe that even the Mormon church believes that.)"

Okay, this is true. But you HAVE to keep in mind that these are ALIENS. They are not real, this is science fiction, and every kid who picks the book up knows it. While some kids practice magic because of books, no one really believes in the aliens as depicted in Animorphs. The Ellimist and Crayak may correlate some in their characteristics to deities, but they are STILL aliens and FICTIONAL. And I disagree with the assumed connection - the Ellimist sounds like a being that went through an experience similar to that of Gautama Buddha, not particularly New-Age, even though I can see why one would try to think of it as transcendental meditation. Even though this is still a false concept, the Ellimist relates more to Buddhism than Satanism, what your site is apparently dedicated to 'exposing'. Even so, we're working with fiction, and I personally never was influenced by the nature of the Ellimist and Crayak. I did disagree with their natures, mind you, even as a child. But I knew they were written as aliens, and that this was NOT to be taken as Truth.

[I]"At the end of this book, the Ellimist tells the dying Animorph that, although he supposedly loves life and can save her, he will not. Her “soulâ€
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu May 07, 2009 2:47 pm

This thread wasn't going in a great direction six months ago and I don't see it going anywhere great now. Thread's closed.
Cap'n Nick

Return to Book Corner