Favorite Fiction Books?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Dr.Faust » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry

Johnny got his gun
Dr.Faust

Postby Maokun » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1282676) wrote:Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves is my definite favorite book, and Only Revolutions isn't bad either.

That's a nice blue you got on that word, sir ]snip[/quote]

Your comments and overal choices have encouraged me to try some of the books in this list, thanks.

My own list:

The Three Musketeers, by Alexander Dumas
Great classic with really lovable (and hateable) characters

Watership Down, by Richard Adams
Who knew a story about rabbits could be so compelling?

The Voyage of the Dawn Threader, by C.S. Lewis
If well done, I'm gonna cry so much when Repeecheep goes over the waterfall in the movie...

Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
High fantasy meets dawn-of-the-century sciFi and solves all the existential questions you were left with after reading Genesis. Brilliant!

The Sandman, By Neil Gaiman
Yes, I am ready to contend heatly against anyone who dares to point that this is a graphical novel and thus, "not a book."

Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman
Hated American Gods, loved Anansi Boys to bits; it made me laugh until I cried and cry until I laughed.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series EXCEPT Mostly Harmless, by Douglas Adams
Mostly Harmless is probably the only book I've read that I wish I could somehow unread, and it is not because it's a bad book.

The Discworld Series, by Terry Pratchett
Yes, all of them.

Ten Little Niggers, by Agatha Christie
NOT a racist book despite its name. Rather, a very smart Thriller with a great twist end.
Maokun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 pm

How'd I miss this thread on the first go-round? XD

The Giver by Lois Lowry
The first time I read this book, I cracked it open and literally did not put it down for the rest of the day. I finished it that night and I've read it again several more times. It's so fantastic. XD

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I have yet to finish it, but I don't care, it's going on my list anyways. XD I first picked it up in 10th grade and tried to read it unsuccessfully, even though I knew I loved the story (which I'd heard before from the film version). Picking it up again in college has really allowed me to be able to look at Hugo's writing from an entirely different (and more mature) perspective, and I've really found that rewarding. Here's hoping I finish it by my goal at the end of the year. XD

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, but specifically, The Return of the King
I've been known to be able to plop down for an entire afternoon and read like, 200+ pages in this book straight through. It does not get old. XD

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
I first read this book as an assignment for school. I read it, however, in two days' time. Fantastic story with fantastic characters. Athos FTW. XD

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce
Yes, it's a short story. No, I don't care; it's awesome. XD

The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
See above. XD

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
It's a play, so it only kind of counts (I guess--this wasn't limited to novels only XD), but I really do love this story. XD

And lastly,

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
After reading the Harry Potter series this summer for the first time, this is definitely my favorite of the books. I felt like it was the first time the reader was really taken deeper into the overarching plot, and I loved the fact that I was so totally enthralled by the book that I was literally infuriated by the book's sub-villain. XD It made the experience of reading it that much more engrossing (not to mention seeing said villain attain her just desserts), and I loved it. XD

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's a long enough list for now. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:45 pm

The Giver by Lois Lowry.
It gave me my taste for dystopian fiction.

The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
All of 'em, but especially The Bells, The Raven, The Fall of the House of Usher and Hop-Frog. Man, that guy had some real issues, didn't he?

Animal Farm by George Orwell
You can read it on the surface: as a story about an animal society descending into barbarism, or you can read it as an allegory for the Soviet Union. Either way, it's a short, entertaining, thought-provoking read.

The Mortal Engines Quartet by Phillip Reeve (Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices, A Darkling Plain)
OK, so it's in the far future, and it's about cities on wheels that hunt eat each other. As in, chase each other down, take bites out of, and swallow each other.

...Still with me? Good. Obviously, it becomes more complex than that, as it follows the adventures of a young historian from London. He falls out of London with a would-be female assassin, and it takes off from there. The series has a great start in Mortal Engines, takes it slow through Predator's Gold, shows its lighter side in Infernal Devices, but steadily ramps it up to its devastating conclusion throughout A Darkling Plain.

The first and last are the best of the series, but you should definitely read them all; it's the only way you'll understand it all.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
A genius kid is enrolled in a battle school, where he's trained to fight a war against an oncoming alien race, by fighting with his other students. Also an excellent read, but skip the other three in the series (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind). They get steadily worse as time goes on (I slogged through Xenocide, then couldn't bring myself to get more than 50 pages into Children of the Mind), though your mileage may vary. Instead, once you're done, check out Ender's Shadow, a much better book than the other three.

Well, that's about all for my favorites. I'll probably post some others when I think of them.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Maokun » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:06 pm

Man, that guy had some real issues, didn't he?

Well, not as many as his sworn enemies-biographers and historians would like us to think, but yeah, he had some :P
Maokun

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:19 pm

mine are
The illustrated man
Fahrenheit 451
Pride and prejudice
Eli
All the Narnia books
Anthem
and Animal farm
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Airman by Eoin Colfer
Steampunk Batman in Ireland.

Notes from Underground by Feodor Dostoevsky
An insane existentialist living underground writes his memoirs, lies to us, lies to himself, and makes a little too much sense while doing so. Nietzsche likes it so you can too.

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
A bi-polar, Catholic, ex-MI6 agent writes about an unnamed priest who is on the run from an unnamed Sheriff whose hate for religion is inflamed by his love for his fellow man. A book best described by the adjective "vivid".

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
"There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife. The knife had a handle of polished black bone, and a blade finer and sharper than any razor. If it sliced you, you might not even know you had been cut, not immediately...."
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous

Return to Book Corner