Strangest book you ever read

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Strangest book you ever read

Postby rocklobster » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:53 pm

What's the strangest book you ever read? For me, it'd have to be Bunnicula, by James Howe. As well as its sequel The Celery Stalks at Midnight. Both of these are about a vampire rabbit.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby sharien chan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:31 pm

Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler...awful awful book....
sharien chan

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:46 pm

It's a tie between Valis by Philip Dick and Dahlgren by Sam Delaney

And these are two of my all-time favorite writers! Just... shall we say, inexplicable offerings from them.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:02 am

Out of everything, perhaps Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Puguni » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:30 am

Alice in Wonderland and its sequel.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby KagayakiWashi » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:41 pm

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.....I mean, really......I missed the fact that what's-his-name was dreaming when they were "bringing back to life" a man who was "buried for 18 years", and I thought it was all literal. But besides that, there's that crazy guy who sings or praises or does whatever with his "little Saint Guillotine".
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Technomancer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Wild Sheep Chase was up there to.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby sharien chan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:46 pm

Haruki Murakami is always a little weird...
sharien chan

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:07 pm

[color="Blue"]House[/color] of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. The only book I've ever read that has a learning curve. But it's the fact that it's so multilayered that makes it so good. It's hard to believe one sane person wrote all that.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby sharien chan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 pm

SpoonyBard (post: 1254775) wrote:[color="Blue"]House[/color] of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. The only book I've ever read that has a learning curve. But it's the fact that it's so multilayered that makes it so good. It's hard to believe one sane person wrote all that.

That book was crazy!
Did you ever hear his sisters cd? It goes along with the book (I had the cd before I knew the book existed...once I read the book then the cd made sense XD)
sharien chan

Postby Kkun » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. Easily. Burroughs did a lot of drugs and the book is a bunch of short stories (or "routines" as he called them) that skewer American culture in often horrifying and disturbing satire.

I want to read [color="blue"]House[/color] of Leaves. Is it worth picking up, Spoony and Sharien?
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Technomancer (post: 1254771) wrote:Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami.

Were you aware that that is Yoshitoshi ABe's favorite book, and served as the inspiration/basis for the anime Haibane Renmei?

For me, the distinction of strangest book belongs to Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:34 pm

I've read some pretty weird books but the strangest that I can currently remember is the unfinished Books of Abarat series by Cliver Barker. Those books are pretty odd, even by fantasy standards.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm sure I've read stranger books, but the one that instantly comes to mind is The War between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids by Stanley Kiesel. I loved it, but talk about weird. The villain was a red ant.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:52 am

@sharien chan: *blinks* No, I didn't even know it existed. I gotta look that up.

@Kkun: The documentary half of the first few chapters are kind of slow, but the Johnny Truant notes make up for that. Also, there are footnotes in one particular later chapter that can be skipped entirely (it'd take you forever to read them and the point isn't in the text itself). But if you want to read something unlike anything else you've seen before in a book, yes. Get [color="Blue"]House[/color] of Leaves.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 am

The Color Purple. I'm sure it was a beautiful book full of great meaning. What did I get out of it? Rape and drawstring pants.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:04 am

Loeloeraai by SOuth African author CJ Langenhoven.

Words fail me.... but I liked it.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Technomancer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:01 pm

ClosetOtaku (post: 1255057) wrote:Were you aware that that is Yoshitoshi ABe's favorite book, and served as the inspiration/basis for the anime Haibane Renmei?

For me, the distinction of strangest book belongs to Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness.

I must admit I was unaware of the connection. Interesting.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Book Corner