Favorite C.S. Lewis book that isn't about Narnia

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite C.S. Lewis book that isn't about Narnia

Postby rocklobster » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:59 pm

What's your favorite non-Narnia book by C.S. Lewis? Mine would have to be The Screwtape Letters.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:24 pm

That one comes in a close second for me, but my favorite C.S. Lewis book ever is The Great Divorce.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby AlyssHeart » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:00 pm

I was gonna say The Great Divorce!!!!! XD
"Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is."-C.S.Lewis. =)
AlyssHeart

Postby sharien chan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:31 pm

I've only read the Great Divorce, A Grief Observed and The Screwtape Letters. I tried to read Miracles but it was way too complicated XD
sharien chan

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:40 pm

Mere Christianity but The Great Divorce and The Screwtape Letters are also very good.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:43 pm

The Great Divorce. The Problem of Pain is also quite important to me, though.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby MBlight » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm busy reading "Till we have Faces" and it's one of my favourites thus far, but in close second is Screwtape Letters and then Mere Christianity...
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:59 pm

I can't fathom why people love 'Till We Had Faces', personally I didn't like it at all, but it's good to see Lewis didn't write it in vain (lol).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:44 am

What if Narnia was never our favorite to begin with? XD

*Does not care for much fantasy*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MBlight » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:23 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1251277) wrote:I can't fathom why people love 'Till We Had Faces', personally I didn't like it at all, but it's good to see Lewis didn't write it in vain (lol).

Well, I can't quite put my finger on it just yet... it just appeals to me for some reason...
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Sheenar » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:31 am

Well, it's a tie between Mere Christianity and The Great Divorce --though I plan to read his space trilogy and The Problem of Pain and that may or may not change things. I also want to read Surprised by Joy.

The Screwtape Letters
was good --the only problem I had when I read it was that it was written in language that was hard to understand in places (of course it's been about 4 years since I read it, so that may be different now).
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:34 am

Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with Screwtape. It was just so-so for me - probably my least favorite. Till we Have Faces seemed to be his best writing style and characters in my opinion, but the themes weren't as explicitly Christian or defined as some of his others (not to say that there wasn't some good stuff in their to think about).

Favorite non-fiction Lewis book: Abolition of Man

Favorite fiction Lewis book(s): That Hideous Strength and Pilgrim's Regress
USSRGirl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:02 pm

The only Lewis book I've read that wasn't Narnia was The Screwtape Letters. I found that one very creative... but I'd have to read others before I decide whether or not that's my favorite non-Narnia book.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:43 pm

Screwtape Letters isn't the easiest read at times Sheenar, but Suprised by Joy is a much harder read (and not all that good).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ClosetOtaku » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:58 pm

For allegory, The Great Divorce is terrific, although I thought The Screwtape Letters was much more penetrating.

From an apologetics standpoint, yes, I thought Mere Christianity was good, especially for non-Christians, but his The Problem of Pain was better and more relevant to the thinking Christian.

I think The Abolition of Man probably sails over most people's heads; it is really one of his better moments.

Most approachable was The Four Loves, which I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet.

Hard to pick out a 'favorite', it depends on what I'm particularly focusing on at that moment...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:32 pm

I also love Till We Have Faces. It think it is his best work, mostly because it deeply involves the reader on an emotional level, which is always good. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:06 am

Yes, I've heard The Problem with Pain is very good. Will have to see if I can get my hands on it.
I've heard of The Four Loves also but haven't read it - yet.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby kryptech » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:16 am

I'd have a tough time picking a favourite... Perhaps The Screwtape Letters and, in terms of novels, Out of the Silent Planet.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby termyt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:16 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1251391) wrote:Screwtape Letters isn't the easiest read at times Sheenar, but Suprised by Joy is a much harder read (and not all that good).
lol. I'm beginning to think you are not a fan of Lewis.

I'm reading Surprised by Joy right now. The first four chapters were hard for me as well. They talk a lot about Lewis's early childhood, which is not of great interest to me (I've never been much a fan of biographies, to be honest). But starting in chapter 5 or 6, he begins speaking in terms of his fall from and return to Christianity, which I find very interesting.

Mere Christianity was a very important book to me back when I read it the first time in, was it hgigh school or college? Wow, am I so old that I can't distinguish the two anymore? Anyways, I've drifted away from apologetics as I feel it is more important to meet people's needs than convince them of truth, but it remains a very good book in that regard as well.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby sharien chan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 am

Some of his books are hard to understand. The way he wrote was interesting. When I was reading The Great Divorce it took me forever to get into the style and actually figure out what he was saying. Once I did though it was really easy to understand.
sharien chan

Postby Sheenar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:47 pm

I just checked The Problem of Pain and Out of the Silent Planet out at the library. I shall let you guys know if my list of favorites changes after reading them.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:45 am

No Termyt, there are aspects of Suprised by Joy that were enjoyable but much of it was too heavy and went over my head - lots of references to music and literature I'd never heard of.
And I am a fan of Lewis's works, just not all of them.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 am

Well I've only completely read the Narnia series. I read half of Screwtape Letters and really liked it I just don't pick books up very often. So I never finished. I have the space trilogy but the first book was boring as ever. So I never bothered with the other two.

The only book of his I REALLY wanna read is Till We Have Faces.

I looove the Narnia books though ^_^ The movie(s) not so much (only saw the first one so far).
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby MBlight » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:57 am

Well, the second movie is far better than the first... my opinion of course...
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 am

Probably I'd go along with the flow and say The Screwtape Letters or Till We Have Faces. Screwtape is funny in a weird, twisted sort of way, while sort of teaching things backwards (if that makes any sense :eh: ). And I like Till We Have Faces the same way I like the movie The Fountain - I can understand it in an abstract, insubstantial way, but I would never be able to explain to you what the point of the book was. All the same, it helped inspire a story, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby sharien chan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:39 am

I still need to actually read the Narnia books >_> XD

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1251696) wrote:Probably I'd go along with the flow and say The Screwtape Letters or Till We Have Faces. Screwtape is funny in a weird, twisted sort of way, while sort of teaching things backwards (if that makes any sense :eh: ).

And I got so confused with the Screwtape Letters when they'd say things like the Enemy. I kept forgetting they were talking about God and I was like "that doesn't sound like Satan...that sound more like God...oh wait...to them the enemy is God..." ^_^;;;
sharien chan

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:47 am

Mere Christianity needs no introduction.
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:47 pm

Even including Narnia, my favorites are The Screwtape Letters and That Hideous Strength (followed closely by the rest of the Space Trilogy.)

I've been planning to read Surprised by Joy for ages, based upon all the wonderful quotes I've stumbled across from it. I'll get to it eventually.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ich1990 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:31 am

Out of the Lewis books that I have read, I liked "The Great Divorce" the best. I have not yet read "Till We Have Faces" or "The Problem of Pain", so I may change my mind.

People say:
"What kind of loving God would send people to Hell?"

Come back inspired by the Great Divorce:
"What kind of loving God would send people to Heaven against their will?"
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Aletheia » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:07 pm

I haven't read much C.S. Lewis - just part of Narnia and part of The Space Trilogy, neither of which really held my attention, but I'm just now getting started on his nonfiction. I got The Problem of Pain and The Joyful Christian from the library today. I was looking for Mere Christianity, but they didn't have it. :( I see The Problem of Pain is on this list, but what did everyone think of The Joyful Christian? I guess it's more of a compilation of writings than a cohesive book, but it looks pretty interesting. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading these. A friend and I decided to read them together, as part of our devotions, so we can discuss them when we see each other. That should be interesting, and a good way to keep myself from putting it off. :P
MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Aletheia

Next

Return to Book Corner