Anne of Green Gables turns 100

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Anne of Green Gables turns 100

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:31 pm

How many people here are familiar with this great classic about a pig-tailed orphanned girl who comes to live in a new home on Price Edward Island? I read all the books and saw the PBS miniseries adaptations of them. I loved the whole thing and would recommend it to anyone. Very good series.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Technomancer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:57 pm

I'm sure lots of people here are familiar with Japanese culture ;). Seriously though, I read one or two of the books when I was a kid, and remember the CBC miniseries. Hell, I've even been to "Green Gables" itself (although that was really more one of those things your parents drag you out to on family vactions). PEI though really is a nice place to visit.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Technomancer (post: 1242700) wrote:I'm sure lots of people here are familiar with Japanese culture ]CBC[/b] miniseries. Hell, I've even been to "Green Gables" itself (although that was really more one of those things your parents drag you out to on family vactions). PEI though really is a nice place to visit.

Anne of Green Gables isn't Japanese dude. Just because it was turned into an anime, doesn't mean it was Japanese. Journey to the West was turned into several anime, and that was a Chinese book.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby NekoChan_C » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:05 pm

I read the first book and watched the miniseries... My best friend in highschool always said that I was just like Anne, because of my penchant for lengthy diatribes and my tendency to somewhat... inadvertently... speak my mind in a way that annoyed or confused others... Fond, fond memories there. :)
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby Technomancer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:03 pm

rocklobster (post: 1242755) wrote:Anne of Green Gables isn't Japanese dude. Just because it was turned into an anime, doesn't mean it was Japanese. Journey to the West was turned into several anime, and that was a Chinese book.

:eyeroll:

I was being facetious. And I also wasn't referring to the anime. Anne of Green Gables has been immensely popular in Japan for a long time, and has not only served as the the inspiration for anime and manga, but also many merchandizing-related lawsuits! The books have also brought hordes of Japanese tourists to PEI like some kind of camera-toting invasion force.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby FukuokaGirl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:27 pm

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables!
I read and loved the books as a child and yes, I loved the miniseries as well.
I loved how they worked "The Lady of Shalott" into the show. That's my favorite poem ever. hehe I've always felt very akin to Anne.

I've always wanted to visit PEI ever since knowing of this story. I'm sure it's beautiful! *siiiigh* One day~~!~

Happy Birthday Anne... Otanjoubi Omedetou!
<333
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:49 am

FukuokaGirl (post: 1242812) wrote:
I've always wanted to visit PEI ever since knowing of this story. I'm sure it's beautiful! *siiiigh* One day~~!~

It is nice there, but I'd recommend the Rustico area and some of the Acadian stuff before the LMM house. You might like Charlottetown though.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Book Corner