Finally have reading time...now where should I begin?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Finally have reading time...now where should I begin?

Postby Sheenar » Sun May 18, 2008 12:48 pm

I've decided to give up on Phantom of the Opera for now --I'll pick it up again later--there's just too many other books I want to get to.
I'm trying to decide what book to read. There are several that I've been waiting to read (they're sitting on my shelf just waiting.)

I'm trying to decide between Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Eliot, Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris, Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper, and Revolution in World Missions. And there are a couple of others, but these are the main ones I've been wanting to read.

These are all books that have been sitting for a while. I have some time for reading now, but I just don't know where to start. So many choices...*is an eager little bookworm*

Can you guys help me make up my mind? Where should I start?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sun May 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Anyone? Seriously, I can't make up my mind...please pick a book and I'll start on that one.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby bigsleepj » Mon May 19, 2008 9:10 am

I can only suggest that, since its summer, you read something fun and relaxing first, then go to non-fiction if you want to.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 am

I agree with BSJ. Those all seem like heavy topics to start out on for a big reading run.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Start with the one you most want to read.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sheenar » Mon May 19, 2008 6:15 pm

For light reading, I have Cat Fancy and Dog Fancy magazines, but I don't have any new fantasy/light reading type books at this time.

I guess I could reread Black Beauty to start. Oh wait, I forgot I have All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. I bought it for class, but we didn't wind up reading it. Does anyone know if it's any good. I know Cormac's The Road was good, but really depressing. *Please, please, don't let this be another depressing book*

Or I could try picking up Phantom of the Opera again...I'd probably have to start over--I don't really remember what I read. :sweat:

I like serious reading, though. After I finish these books, I want to read my book about enrichment for animals in captivity. I've had that book for 2 years and I haven't read it yet.

So, any suggestions? I don't want to buy another book --but does anyone have any suggestions--maybe a book I can check out from the library for light reading? Is it really a bad thing to start off with a serious book?

Sheenar

Postby Kunoichi » Mon May 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Sheenar..."Do Hard Things" is an awesome book that I am reading...easy reading but it is literally changing my life
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby Danderson » Mon May 19, 2008 7:46 pm

Kunoichi (post: 1227523) wrote:Sheenar..."Do Hard Things" is an awesome book that I am reading...easy reading but it is literally changing my life

Big time ditto on that....but, if u have the time, definetly spread urself out bookwise.....there's nothing wrong with variety.....just make sure if u do it that u have the time.....and.....I think i'm waay to tired now....g'night....
Danderson

Return to Book Corner