[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Poe - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Poe

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Poe

Postby Slytherine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm

I was just curious is there were any serious Edgar Allan Poe fans on CAA? Poe is amazing!! I tend to fangirl a little over Poe and his amazing-ness.

Poe Favorites
-The Fall of the House of Usher
-The Raven
-The Devil and the Belfry
-The Masque of the Red Death
-The Telltale Heart
-The Cask of Amontillado

My friend and I want are planning on writing a story where to writer chicks obsessed with Poe dug up his bones for some weird [no occult] reason.
The Bones of Poe *dun dun dun* LOL.

~Slytherine
[color="Magenta"]"The trouble with real life is that there's no background music." -Anonymous[/color]

[color="Lime"]"A rose by any other name would be "deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."" -Robert Bullock[/color]

[color="Cyan"]"Ok, I'm weird! But I'm saving up to become eccentric." -Anonymous[/color]
Slytherine

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:17 pm

I've been an Edgar Allan Poe fan from at least Elementary or Middle school. Likewise, having purchased one of those sweet gold-rimmed black and red hardback copies of The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe issued by Barnes and Noble, I've just had it made. The stories that have had the longest lasting influence on me are The Masque of the Red Death, The Fall of the House of Usher, Legeia, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Premature Burial.
GhostontheNet

Postby Slytherine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:58 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1213391) wrote:...and The Premature Burial.

Jeez, I just KNEW I forgot one. How I forgot this one, I will never know. Poe eclipses my soul. *fangirl-ing*

I've been a fan of Poe since grade 7, but I hit the fangirl level in the last year. However, it's very depressing when you're in an "Advanced" English class that didn't even understand The Raven.

"It's about a dude who talks to a bird. Dude's kinda insane."

That is the product of my AP English 11 class. The class would be extremely depressing, however my equally Poe-happy friend sits next to me, and she is of moderate-high level intelligence, therefore we may conduct our fangirl-ing together off to the side...LOL.

~Slytherine
[color="Magenta"]"The trouble with real life is that there's no background music." -Anonymous[/color]

[color="Lime"]"A rose by any other name would be "deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."" -Robert Bullock[/color]

[color="Cyan"]"Ok, I'm weird! But I'm saving up to become eccentric." -Anonymous[/color]
Slytherine

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 pm

My favorite two stories by him are The Cask of Amontillado and The Fall of the House of Usher. Both are simply amazing. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Slytherine (post: 1213407) wrote:Jeez, I just KNEW I forgot one. How I forgot this one, I will never know. Poe eclipses my soul. *fangirl-ing*

I've been a fan of Poe since grade 7, but I hit the fangirl level in the last year. However, it's very depressing when you're in an "Advanced" English class that didn't even understand The Raven.

"It's about a dude who talks to a bird. Dude's kinda insane."

That is the product of my AP English 11 class. The class would be extremely depressing, however my equally Poe-happy friend sits next to me, and she is of moderate-high level intelligence, therefore we may conduct our fangirl-ing together off to the side...LOL.

~Slytherine
I guess this kind of thing is the downside of being hyper-literate in the post-literate age. Its good to hear you have a friend who is also a Poe fan, though. Even so, please don't write a story about stealing Poe's bones with her. The poor man is second only to James Dean in people wanting to do weird things with his burial site or even his spirit. I always figured The Raven basically translates to "Messenger of death prophecies to distraught narrator that he will not encounter his dearly departed Leanore in a blissful afterlife." As a body of work, I think that Poe's writing basically tells the story of how the death of a single woman (his wife Virginia, who becomes figures like Leanore, Legeia, and Roderick Usher's sister in his writing) transforms into a great cosmic crisis over the prospect of mankind's salvation. This has serious implications for the present age haunted by the so-called death of God and what Martin Luther King called "this impending cosmic elegy". It is interesting, for example, to read The Masque of the Red Death in an era haunted by the spectre of devastating biological weaponry in which we consign millions in third world countries to die of AIDS because it is not economically profitable to help them. If I ever realize my vague dreams of starting a Gothic band, I've been thinking about writing a song about it titled "The Red Death On Wall Street".
GhostontheNet

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:24 pm

A lot about Poe is sadly myth created after his death.

As far as favorites go:
The Raven
The Bells
Leonore
The Tell Tale Heart
The Murders In The Rue Morgue
mitsuki lover

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Poe fan here. Have all of his works, haven't read nearly enough of them.

When I go to Otakon, I visit his grave just a few blocks away from the Convention Center.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Slytherine » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:26 pm

ClosetOtaku (post: 1213629) wrote:When I go to Otakon, I visit his grave just a few blocks away from the Convention Center.

I haven't ever done that before, and I live close...sorta. I really should though...I plan on doing it soon. I will probably do it this year when I go to Otakon. If you're going to Otakon this year maybe I'll see you there!

I want to stand on the hollow ground of his grave, and allow his essence to consume my soul so that my writing may emulate his.

Ok...that was a little weird...LOL. But you get what I'm saying. Hopefully. I think.:sweat:

~Slytherine

Slytherine

Postby Maledicte » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:09 pm

Mm. Poe. I haven't read a terrible lot by him, but boy is he great.

The Cask of Amontillado is incredible.

Then there were some odd ones, like the Death's Head (I believe that was the title...moth hahaha) and the mummy one. I'm hoping to illustrate the Masque of the Red Death for class this quarter, I love that story too.
Maledicte

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Oh, my. Pick a favorite work by Poe? Difficult, but I found the Cask of Amontillado elicited an exceptionally strong visceral reaction from me.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:13 pm

I've read a few of his works. I haven't read enough of them to tell whether or not I like them though.

They seem kind of.... strange.... but still, I might like them.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue May 06, 2008 8:34 pm

I just finished rereading The Fall of the House of Usher today. It's amazing how differently the story reads now that I have had enough literature classes to read it critically.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby bigsleepj » Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 am

I never really got into the works of Poe, though I've always enjoyed the humorous (yes, humorous!) Poe story Xing a Paragrab, mainly because its not the type of story you associate him with.

Of his serious work I really like The Pit and the Pendulum. I still actually have to read a great deal of this other stories, though.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 09, 2008 7:02 am

I love Poe, though unfortunately I haven't really read that much by him. I love the rhymes and the rhythm of his poems, though. My favorites are The Tell-Tale Heart, Annabel Lee, and The Raven.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue May 13, 2008 5:23 pm

How To Get Your Mom To Read Comics:

My mother is a huge Edgar Allan Poe fan. A couple weeks ago I found a graphic novel called Nevermore. Comic book-style adaptations of some of Poe's stories. I read a few and then showed the book to mom. She read the whole thing before I got a chance to finish it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:18 pm

SpoonyBard (post: 1225992) wrote:How To Get Your Mom To Read Comics:

My mother is a huge Edgar Allan Poe fan. A couple weeks ago I found a graphic novel called Nevermore. Comic book-style adaptations of some of Poe's stories. I read a few and then showed the book to mom. She read the whole thing before I got a chance to finish it.

Haha! Well, that sure is one way to do it.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Return to Book Corner