Saddest books you've ever read

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:43 pm

The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold.

A very well-written, tragic story that really makes you look at life and people differently...very, very, sad.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath as well.
yukoxholic

Postby Kkun » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:18 pm

yukoxholic (post: 1217233) wrote:The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold.

A very well-written, tragic story that really makes you look at life and people differently...very, very, sad.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath as well.

The Bell Jar is very sad, but it's a wonderful book.

Another very sad book is The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. It's filled with many things that just aren't worth mentioning here, but I will say that it is devastating to read all the way through.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 am

Kkun (post: 1217099) wrote:While it's funny and insightful at times, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is up there. I don't want to give too much away, but it's about a boy with Asperger's syndrome who attempts to solve a mystery that winds up unravelling his entire life. The ending is very satisfying but the events that occur to get there are heart rending.

Oh, you're right! How did I forget about that? That was a very...well, kind of a dreary book, I think. The kid narrated his life almost as if nothing was out of the ordinary, but it's so sad and his family is so messed up.... :sniffle:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous

Return to Book Corner