What Was Your First Book?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

What Was Your First Book?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:01 am

What was the first book you ever read all by yourself? Do you still like it today?

I read my first book, Go, Dog, Go by Dr. Seuss, when I was four. So maybe the first word I ever read was 'dog.' I still rather like it today, even if it is a little kid's book. I've always loved Dr. Seuss's pictures, and back in the day I loved the recurring joke of, "Do you like my hat?" "No, I do not like your hat." :sweat:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Maledicte » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:37 am

Most likely a Little Golden book. One with a lion I think.
Maledicte

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Most likely Dr. Suess books and the like. Go Dogs Go is hilarious to read now.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby USSRGirl » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:18 pm

Machiavelli.
USSRGirl

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:36 pm

I think my favorite first book was probably either Turtle Tale or one about a family of Skeletons - I don't remember the name, sorry. Something about "in a dark, dark town, there was a dark, dark street..." or something similar.
Mithrandir

Postby RobinSena » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:21 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1200758) wrote:Something about "in a dark, dark town, there was a dark, dark street..." or something similar.

Perhaps?

I seriously have no recollection of the first book I read. No clue. =P
RobinSena

Postby Mist » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:30 pm

A Panda Bear is Black and White. It was one of those books to help kids learn colours. My mom picked it up at some garage sale. We still have it, and my dad even recorded the date I first read it on the inside cover.

-Mist
Mist

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:01 am

My parents have a picture of me in a bassinet at age one or less looking at Tarzan of the Apes. I dunno if that qualifies as reading it, though they did read it to me at that age.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 pm

I have no idea.
mitsuki lover

Postby Emanku » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:27 pm

I can't remember if it was the very first book I ever read on my own, but I know "The Fire Cat" was the first book I really liked. I read it many, many times. I still have it and read it every once in a while. I think I was three, maybe four when I read it first, which was pretty impressive considering the difficulty of some of the words. For example, the protagonist's name was 'Pickles'.
I will not waver, doubt or falter for all truth in this world has been written into the book here at my side.
Emanku

Postby Amzi Live » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Heh! I loved (well still do) Dr. Suess' books.I guess one of the first books I read was from him.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby MomoAdachi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:43 pm

A Barbie Golden book, "Barbie's Picnic Surprise":red::hits_self
No wonder I have such shallow taste in literature!
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Sohma » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Some of my first books were stuff like The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Suess (oh yeah!) and the Golden Books were good. Oh, and Rich Cat Poor Cat is something I'll still look through, it's such a cute story. I named my cat Gwendolyn when I got older because of that book. >< And there was this book about a duck named Ping on the Yellow River, I think. That one was good but I can't recall the title.
I never did like the Barbie books much, I liked the animal ones. I still love stories with talking animals! lol
[SIZE="6"]ily.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Genesis 27:4
"When you prepare the tasty food that I love, bring it to me, and I will eat. Then I will bless you before I die."[/SIZE]
Sohma

Postby Mimiru14 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:00 pm

I think mine was Green Eggs and Ham. Dr. Seuss is amazing!
[color="Magenta"]"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
— J.K. Rowling [/color]

[color="Plum"]"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's what makes it cool"[/color]:thumb:
Mimiru14

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Dr. Seuss' Hop On Pop. I read it when I was three. Even if you don't know what your first book was, just say "something by Dr. Seuss" and you're probably right.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:00 pm

Mimiru14 (post: 1202980) wrote:I think mine was Green Eggs and Ham. Dr. Seuss is amazing!

I actually did a "dramatic reading" of this book for drama class. The teacher thought it was so funny it gave me an A.

Emanku (post: 1200959) wrote:I can't remember if it was the very first book I ever read on my own, but I know "The Fire Cat" was the first book I really liked. I read it many, many times. I still have it and read it every once in a while. I think I was three, maybe four when I read it first, which was pretty impressive considering the difficulty of some of the words. For example, the protagonist's name was 'Pickles'.

I TOTALLY remember this!!! I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this. SOOOOO COOL!

ChurchPunk (post: 1200839) wrote:Perhaps?

Ding!!! That was it!
Mithrandir

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 am

SpoonyBard (post: 1203014) wrote:Dr. Seuss' Hop On Pop. I read it when I was three. Even if you don't know what your first book was, just say "something by Dr. Seuss" and you're probably right.

:lol: Yeah, that's probably true for lots of people. You know, I once played this game at a youth-group-type place, where the leader did a dramatic reading of The Cat in the Hat. People would be assigned a word (like "fish," "hat," and "mother"), and whenever he would read that word, they'd all have to jump up and race to another seat. And when he read "the Cat in the Hat," everyone had to go to another seat. It was a lot of fun.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:46 pm

I'm going to have to steal that for my youth group. :lol:
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:28 pm

I think mine was a Seuss book too: Horton Hears a Who
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Angel Tifa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:41 am

I can't quite remember since there were so many books from my childhood XD. But some of my first books were various Doctor Seuss books like Cat in the Hat, Cat in the Hat Comes Back, Green Eggs and Ham, The Sleep Book (one of my favorites where they showed various and strange ways of sleeping =D), and their own version of "Book about Me" where you fill out your information.

I also remember reading alot of Berenstain Bears (a huge part of my childhood), and some of the childrens Disney books they made like these;

http://lizziesantiqueparlour.homestead.com/files/kids_3_golden_disney_books.jpg

Well I don't think I owned any of the three in the pic, but the ones I had, had that very similar spine binding.
[color="Purple"]God Is Good All The Time :angel:![/color]
Angel Tifa

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:57 am

Oh yeah, my sister and I grew up on Berenstein Bears. We had a ton of those things, maybe all of them. I think they're still piled up in a closet somewhere. Oh, and the Best Sesame Street Book EVER:
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:42 am

I remember that book!
[spoiler]The monster was....Grover![/spoiler]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Angel Tifa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 am

Oooh SpoonyBard I also remember having that Sesame Street Book when I was little :D. I remember my mom and I reading it together (I was around 6 or so) and I remember feeling like "ooh the stories getting intense!" but in an excited way. Then it was cool at the end. That book brought smiles on my face :).
[color="Purple"]God Is Good All The Time :angel:![/color]
Angel Tifa

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:13 pm

"Oh, I am so embarrassed." :lol:
Htom Sirveaux

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Ooh, I used to read a lot of Berenstein (sp?) Bears, too! I remember, I used to like them because their family was a lot like mine at the time - mother, father, older brother, younger sister. We even had a bunk bed, too! XD
And I love that Grover book, too. Great kids' book.

Hey, did anybody used to read Mike Mullagan And His Steamshovel (or however you spell it)? My dad still likes to quote from it sometimes. "'Why not?' said Henry B. Swap." ^_^

And what about Bill Peet? We still have a ton of those.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:44 am

The first book I remember reading was called "There are No Tigers in Africa." At least, I think that's what it was called. It was very educational.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:07 am

There's no way I could remember my first book, but some of my early books included "That's Good, That's Bad," "Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse," "Petunia," and any number of Dr. Seuss's works, such as "The Sneetches and Other Stories." Naturally, there are a lot that I'm forgetting; I read a lot as a kid. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MangArtist » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:20 pm

I think "Time Benders" was my first.
"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 30:6)

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 pm

I can remember the first book I read by myself in one day. Or actually, its one of two; one was a picture & story book, the other was a more proper book.

The picture book was a story called something like The Trouble with Mister Harris; it was about a dour post-master in a small British town and how the towns-people disliked him for being so unfriendly, and how they eventually realise that he's actually a nice fellow.

The more longer, proper book was an Afrikaans book named Brolloks en Bittergal, a children's book about two cruel sorcerers (who liked kidnapping and eating children) and their respective deaths. It was actually a grim book, and the respective ends of the two creatures were grim as well (Bittergal's death was quite gruesome come to think of it, though I hardly noticed that on first reading). It was actually not one story, but something of a collection of inter-related stories (I think it was originally serialised in a newspaper, but I could be wrong).

Having read it again as an adult (indeed, I can see it on my shelf across the room) I was struck by how good the book was an why I enjoyed it, but I also saw that the writer, on some level, talked down to the readers it was aimed at, namely children. He also had a terrible habit of stating things over and over, as if to remind the children of things they would never have forgotten in the first place. Its something that a writer should never do, actually. The author's name was CJ Langenhoven and I know that he and his wife were unable to have children, so maybe his lack of first-hand knowledge made him underestimate a child's mind to hold essential details.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Return to Book Corner