I need to know how scary…

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

I need to know how scary…

Postby GeneD » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Stephen King’s Dark Tower series is. I took out the first book from the library but now I’m not sure if I should read it. I have a very low threshold for scary movies and books; and books are much harder to judge. Is it just like his other horror stories, in which case I definitely won’t read it, or is it more of a fantasy?
I usually stay away from anything I think might get to me. For reference scary/creepy movies I’ve seen are Secret Window (liked), Pitch Black (liked), Diary of Ellen Rimbauer (the Rose Red prequel, didn’t like) Mr Brooks (recently, didn’t like) can’t think of anything else right now. So I just need an idea of how it is, I don’t really want to Google it for fear of spoilers. Also just give me your “fear thresholdâ€
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:54 pm

I haven't read it but I've heard it's very good. It doesn't hold to any genre - I've heard it's action, adventure, mystery, thriller, horror, fantasy, sci-fi and western all wrapped up in one long epic.
I presume that since it incorporates all of those, that it wouldn't be that scary, but having not read it, I don't know.

I suggest you stay well clear of The Stand then.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:04 pm

It's properly a Science Fantasy. It isn't Stephen King horror, it's the less common Stephen King fantasy. He's actually quite good at it.

Naturally, as it is still King, it's still a little tough here and there, but not the way you may be imagining.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby rocklobster » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:21 am

I wouldn't say it was scary, but it is good. Be ready for a loooong haul, though.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Book Corner