Do you feel depressed when you finish a series?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Do you feel depressed when you finish a series?

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm feeling depressed right now because I'm on the last few chapters of the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...

Do you feel this way when you finish a series? I do every time (well, I've been reading HP since the 5th grade).
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Puguni » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:00 pm

Yes.

This is why I refuse to watch the end episodes of Honey and Clover. I mean, I know what happens, but...seeing it would just make me sad that it's over, not because the ending was sad.

It's like the end of Calvin and Hobbes. It's not sad, but it is anyway.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:44 am

Yeah, I was pretty depressed to finish the Harry Potter series, since I'd been reading it for years.

Another series that really depressed me at the end was the Prydain Chronicles. My brother and I moped around for a week after we finished them.

~darkelfgirl~, what do you think of Deathly Hallows? Isn't it awesome? ^_^ (Can you tell which part inspired the scene in The Black Dragon where Shynael left Shard?)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 pm

No. I like endings.

If they are poorly done, that is a disappointment. Most of the time things are finished adequately, which provides a sense of closure and brings everything in the plot to a logical end. The best of stories end in such a way that I am left thinking about everything that has gone on before. So while I'm not leaping for joy, I'm happy to be in that pondering state.
uc pseudonym

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:13 pm

Calvin and Hobbes has an end? o.o Well, all I've ever seen of them were strips in my elementary school math books.

I'm afraid to read the rest of the Deathly Hallows. I got to the chapter where...T T. Why? Of all the people! She's slaying my favorite characters!

Yes! It is so awesome ^^--I don't know if the part I'm thinking is the inspiration for the part where Shynael left Shard....I didn't finish that chapter yet (I had to stop to do my homework). Is it the part in the great hall when the battle pauses?

I like endings too, but it just feels so sad that it's over. Then I feel kind of down because I feel like--"How am I going to come up with a cool ending like that?"
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:39 am

~darkelfgirl~ wrote:Yes! It is so awesome ^^--I don't know if the part I'm thinking is the inspiration for the part where Shynael left Shard....I didn't finish that chapter yet (I had to stop to do my homework). Is it the part in the great hall when the battle pauses?

:sweat: Actually, it was back somewhere in the middle of the book. You know, when [spoiler]Ron gets angry and leaves Harry and Hermione. And nothing seems to go right when he's gone, you know?[/spoiler] Well, because I'd just read that part, I wrote the scene where Shynael leaves, and nothing could be right when he was gone.

I thought the ending was really good, so keep reading! The chapter called "The Forest Again" is especially good :thumb:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Oh! :sweat:

*sigh* I'm finished! Some parts were very sad (yes, I shedded some tears). The epilogue does make it seem like there's going to be a branch-off, but Rowling says that there isn't. Wow, I can't believe that's it. I'm actually not depressed, strangely.
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:48 pm

I have to agree with UC.

I only get depressed (thought I get more angry than depressed) at the ending of a series if the series has a sucky ending. If a series keeps going on and on without an ending, it'll end up boring me to the point where I just stop reading it.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:56 pm

I wouldn't say I get depressed when I finish a series. I tend to really dislike series that just kind of go on forever, so my sentiments echo that of UC and Crim as far as that goes. XD I do sometimes feel sad that there won't be any new installments of a series when I've been following it for a while, but overall, I enjoy the sense of closure that a good series will provide. XD

And of course, in the case of some series, there is always the promise of a second installment...
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:10 pm

Yeah, I kind of do. Or rather, I used to.

Namely with certain Shoujo titles.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MangArtist » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:36 am

The things that get me depressed in a story is when somebody or something that's really cool in the story leave and never come back. Like in Lord of the Rings, the Gray Havens. The Halo series made me depressed at the end, too. Very good ending! For those of you who haven't gone to the end of the credits....... DO IT! (Do movies and games count?)
MangArtist

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:56 pm

MangArtist wrote:(Do movies and games count?)

I would think so, if they present a serious story (and many do).

On that subject, I found the ending to Link's Awakening a bit sad. Everything was resolved, yes, but also ended absolutely and permanently. Except for a few seconds at the beginning, nothing you did even existed...
uc pseudonym

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:27 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I found the ending to Link's Awakening a bit sad. Everything was resolved, yes, but also ended absolutely and permanently. Except for a few seconds at the beginning, nothing you did even existed...

:waah!: I know! It's as though all the time you put into the game didn't really matter, because everything ended the way it started! It's the same way with Ocarina of Time...man, did I cry at the end of that game! :sniffle:

Yeah, don't get me started on feeling depressed at the end of games and movies....

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Okami » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:09 pm

I was reading HP since the first grade....D:
It was saddening seeing the final events finally happen, not that I didn't want them to, but because I had come up with so many conclusions throughout ten or so years about the 'final battle' and everything, and to see your thoughts turn out different than the actual thing is sort of....degrading....
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:45 am

Er...probably not since I can always pick it up and start re-reading it again whenever I feel up to it.
mitsuki lover

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:56 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:No. I like endings.

Me too... I was so glad that Harry Potter ended, even though it was sad at the same time. I hate when things don't end, so you have to keep following... It's annoying.

Now, if you're wondering if I thought the CONTENT of said book was depressing, yeah... It sure was... I cried through most of Deathly Hallows... At least the first three or four times, hahahaha!

Since you said "series", I have YET to finish a game series, though I like to consider Seiken Densetsu 3 to be the last mana game... Back when I thought MGS3 was the last Metal Gear game, I cried at the ending... Not because it was over with, but because the ending is sad... Portable ops sort of takes a little away from that, then adds its own into it, but I digress... I cried when I found out that Halo 3 didn't do any of the things I wanted it to, not to mention crying when I realized I paid 60 bucks on that POC Lair... That's a bit different, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Yep, I wouldn't want a series to go on and on forever...Hmm, that's the reason I got sick of Pokemon (no offense to Pokemon fans).

When reading the first sad parts of the Deathly Hallows, I held my tears in because I thought it would be ridiculous to cry over a fiction book, but eventually, I didn't care.

When a series continues on and on, I guess the writer become exhausted and the storyline begins to get boring and monotonous.

Don't hurt me--but I didn't think Halo 3 was spectacular, judging by what I've seen--I fell asleep watching my friend and his brother play it XD. I know it's not the same as playing it, but the content was boring to me.
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby minakichan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:03 pm

It has a name, actually: Post-Story Depression (or Post-Anime Depression) ^^.

I actually get TERRIBLE Post-Story Depression; I'll cry for the next 1-2 days, and once I've even gotten myself sick crying. I just feel extreme attachment to the characters, and I don't to see them go, even if the ending is perfect; I want to interact with them even more, it's like they've become precious to me (and yeah, I'm pretty much a sentimental sap). It's very catharthic though, and sometimes I just love being miserable. Also, I like getting PSD (not PMS >_>) when my life hasn't been going very well because it's an outlet and I can make all the feelings go away when I'm done.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:27 pm

minakichan wrote:It has a name, actually: Post-Story Depression (or Post-Anime Depression) ^^.

I actually get TERRIBLE Post-Story Depression; I'll cry for the next 1-2 days, and once I've even gotten myself sick crying. I just feel extreme attachment to the characters, and I don't to see them go, even if the ending is perfect; I want to interact with them even more, it's like they've become precious to me (and yeah, I'm pretty much a sentimental sap). It's very catharthic though, and sometimes I just love being miserable. Also, I like getting PSD (not PMS >_>) when my life hasn't been going very well because it's an outlet and I can make all the feelings go away when I'm done.

Nice name for it!

Well, I just sulk for a couple of hours, staring into nothing. Yeh, maybe I become too attached to characters...

You may be right about that outlet thing. I hadn't cried in a while, so it was probably my body trying to make sure my tear ducts were working XD j/k.
It's probably because I've been holding things in.
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:00 pm

... the most PSD I've had is when tears came to my eyes after finishing A Series of Unfortuanate Evants. I'll see how I'm felling in a few days after finishing Death Note.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Maledicte » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Yes, I do feel that way. Robert Newcombe's almost done with his second series....*sobs*...
Maledicte

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:54 pm

Its a bitter sweet thing for me...
one one hand I am Estatic when I finish a book (and it ends well) on the other hand, I am really depressed because it's like the journey is over and I had just traveled with people I really got to know XD...

It's wierd. I am glad to finish a series...but its like "What next?"

I also hate waiting a year for the next book to come out.. XD That's also depressing...its like a mini-end. :P
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Maledicte » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:41 pm

ChristianKitsune wrote:I also hate waiting a year for the next book to come out.. XD That's also depressing...its like a mini-end. :P

Even worse with cliffhanger endings. AUGH
Maledicte

Postby lwelyk » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:40 pm

f
Last edited by lwelyk on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwelyk

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:00 pm

not for deathnote, which I finished 2 days ago. I was happy.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:18 pm

Having just finished a few series, I took the opportunity to reflect on this again. Many endings leave me more manic than depressed, overwhelmed with ideas of my own and playing with the themes of the series that was completed. That's the ideal, anyway; I finished a series earlier today that left me without any strong feeling.
uc pseudonym

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:17 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Even worse with cliffhanger endings. AUGH

Yeh, I know!

[quote="uc pseudonym"]Having just finished a few series, I took the opportunity to reflect on this again. Many endings leave me more manic than depressed, overwhelmed with ideas of my own and playing with the themes of the series that was completed. That's the ideal, anyway]

Yeh, I would spend the whole day thinking about that and writing down ideas (well, most of the time, that happens after watching a really good movie).

:D I've been stuck on Book 8 of Death Note for weeks now.
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Mist » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:43 am

Mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm happy because everything is nicely wrapped up and get some closure. On the other hand, I'm sad because that's it; the story's over. There's no more adventures, no more emotions, no more anything.

Of course, that's not always the case. I was extremely unhappy with the final episode of Inuyasha. It just wasn't enough, y'know?

As for cliff hangers, I'm happy as long as all the characters are accounted for at the end. I hate it when you don't find out what happens to a character(s). For example, anyone here play Megaman X: Command Mission? I HATED that ending. No closure for about half the characters. But anyway...

Yeah, mixed feelings. I cried when Yugioh ended. It was such a sad ending, yet there was still that bit of hope. It also left you wondering what would happen after those years were up. And then there's the FMA ending. THAT was depressing and happy all at the same time. Probably my favourite ending to any series though would have to be that of the 2nd season of Digimon. I felt really content with that ending. A lot of closure there.

-Mist
Mist

Postby Angel Tifa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:02 pm

Not really, but I do admit that books can be sad. I remember how sad it was at the end of The Great Gatsby and Lord of the Flies. Okay those aren't really series's (because it's just one book each), but they're very sad at the end.
Angel Tifa

Return to Book Corner