Funniest book

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Funniest book

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:15 am

What is the funniest book you've ever read? For me it's the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sheol777 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:25 am

I really liked the Hitchhiker's .......BLAST!

Ha, when I read the title this is the first book to come to mind. So yes, I agree.

Too bad the movie didn't live up to the book.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Tereya » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Afraid I'll have to second Hitchhiker's. Life, the Universe and Everything in particular was my favorite of the series. I had to fight to keep my seat the entire time I was reading it.
Tereya

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Best book ever.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:31 pm

Go Dogs Go
I'm not even kidding. If you still have that book, go back and read it. It's hilarious. There's a certain humor in rereading Dr. Seuss books. . .^_~
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:38 pm

Louis Sachar's "Sideways Stories from Wayside School" collection.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:21 am

I'd almost be tempted to say the Harry Potter books. Either that or Fractured Fairy Tales.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Aileen Kailum » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:27 am

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. That, or the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Dave Barry has some excellent books (the real books, not the collections of articles). If you mean fiction, I enjoy Terry Pratchett as well as, like everyone else, Douglas Adams. All of the above succeed in making me laugh on occasion and entertain me sufficiently if not being laugh-inducing.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:55 pm

The Hitchhiker series was good, but the last couple of books all but completely lost me. Funniest book for me though, I'd have to say is Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Puguni » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:18 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Louis Sachar's "Sideways Stories from Wayside School" collection.

Oh good lord, yes. Yes yes yes yes. I read that series when I was little, and loved it. I read it again because I rented it for my baby sister and laughed even harder. It's so random.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:32 pm

I really laughed out loud with The Man who was Thursday by GK Chesterton. One of my favourite scenes is where the main character wants to challenge an evil Marquis to a duel, and (half drunk) begins to actually write the dialogue that would lead to the duel. He even admits that he gave the most wittiest replies to his foe. "I like to be fair to my enemies."

Also pretty much any book by Terry Pratchett is funny and worth a read. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:20 pm

Wow, and I thought I was the only Terry Pratchett fan around. My favorite is Going Postal. I also want to add Catherine Called Birdy by Karen Cushman and The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas if you can find a good translation or read French.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Doubleshadow wrote:Wow, and I thought I was the only Terry Pratchett fan around.

Nah, Technomancer is a fan too, if I'm not mistaken. :grin: ;)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:31 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Louis Sachar's "Sideways Stories from Wayside School" collection.

Dude, you WIN. Plain and simple. I LOVED that series! Now I feel like paying off my massive library debt to check out the entire series!

A cookie to the first person who remembers who taught on the 30th and the 19th Floors!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby GeneD » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:19 am

I totally love the Discworld books esp. anything about the Watch! They always get me giggling into the pages and strange looks from people! Tom Holt is also pretty funny. The Hitchhiker's series too, the end of the series was... interesting and not seen often, but i won't give anything away, go read it!
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:16 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Dave Barry has some excellent books (the real books, not the collections of articles).

Go UC. I love Dave Barry too. His book "Babies and Other Hazards of S*x" was HILARIOUS.

That, too. Really, Louis Sachar is funny. Even Holes made me smile.

Also, P.J. O'Rourke's "Modern Manners: Etiquette For Rude People" was funny. Don't even get me started on the "Horrible Weddings" and "Hip Funerals" part. And Captain Underpants...oh Captain Underpants. I read those books when I was a kid. I laughed till my throat was sore.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:36 am

Not a book but O.Henry's classic short story 'The Ransom Of Red Chief'
is one of the funniest stories ever written about two hapless kidnappers and their 'victim'.
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner