Christmas and Harry Potter

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Christmas and Harry Potter

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:50 am

Okay, this is something I've been wondering about for a bit...

What do you guys think about Christmas being celebrated in the Harry Potter world?
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:29 pm

I don't see why they wouldn't have Christmas or Hanukkah or any other religious holiday for that matter.
er...Was that what the question was about?wheter or not they would have it?
mitsuki lover

Postby Ashley » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:01 pm

It's just a reflection of the secularization of holidays (yes, I know, they were originally secular - no need to reiterate this point again) throughout the world. How is celebrating Christmas in Harry Potter different than in the Flinstones? Or for that matter, most homes in America?
Ashley

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 am

With the Flinstones though it would have been anachronistic since they lived in the Stone Age.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sohma » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:22 pm

Haha, this is something I have always thought about.
Why would they even begin to celebrate Christmas? For one, we all know the story behind Christmas and, obviously, Harry doesn't believe in any such thing.
Another, since they don't believe that, this would be only a “muggleâ€
[SIZE="6"]ily.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Genesis 27:4
"When you prepare the tasty food that I love, bring it to me, and I will eat. Then I will bless you before I die."[/SIZE]
Sohma

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:17 pm

Some things just carry over I think... most of the muggle/wizard separation is due to one of two reasons:

a. the wizards have something better
b. the wizards are trying to protect the muggles

So in that case... christmas celebration merely means that they couldn't come up with a better holiday, and they probably saw no inherent harm in it. It may have just come into play when the "wizarding" and "muggle" communities merged, since it allowed the wizards to blend in better. They never cover any religeous significance in it... so that would follow a "its fun, it helps us fit in better, its harmless to us... why not!" attitude.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Given how the books avoid the question of religion (either muggle or wizard) altogether, I don't think one ought to draw any significance from the inclusion of a Christmas break. The books after all, reflect a generic sort of English boarding school novel, and Christmas is part of the rhythm of such books. I wouldn't attach any deeper signifcance than that.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:11 pm

Actually, according to an article I read once (it was on Christianity Today's site, though I forget the title), J.K. Rowling has professed to be a Christian. So it seems fairly natural to me that she'd add in holidays like Christmas and Easter, since she's familiar with them already.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:30 pm

I think a reasonable answer has already been given, so I won't reiterate it. Hopefully I will not be condemned for posting in order to say:

mitsuki lover wrote:With the Flinstones though it would have been anachronistic since they lived in the Stone Age.

An anachronism in the Flinstones? Madness!
uc pseudonym

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:09 pm

Technomancer wrote:Given how the books avoid the question of religion (either muggle or wizard) altogether, I don't think one ought to draw any significance from the inclusion of a Christmas break. The books after all, reflect a generic sort of English boarding school novel, and Christmas is part of the rhythm of such books. I wouldn't attach any deeper signifcance than that.

Tis true. I mean, they could've even made them celebrate Yule Tide. But, even with that any form of religion is taken from the book.So since many many families celebrate Christmas, they do too. Although I don't remember any mention of Easter in there, being not a big a celebration as Christmas worldwide anyhow. Halloween however, makes the most sense.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:14 am

Well, they might not celebrate Easter, precisely, but they do have Easter holidays at Hogwarts. I remember in one book (I think it was the first one) where it said that the Easter holidays weren't as relaxing as the Christmas holidays had been.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Well with all that goes on at Hogwarts I doubt any holiday would be considered overly relaxing there.
mitsuki lover

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:46 am

:grin: You've got a point there. As Ron (I think) said, "I wonder what it's like to have a normal life."
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:08 am

I wish JK Rowling had been more vocal about her Christian faith. Maybe that'd make the anti-Harry Potter crowd quieter.
No, wait, they'd condemn it anyway.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:38 pm

rocklobster wrote:I wish JK Rowling had been more vocal about her Christian faith. Maybe that'd make the anti-Harry Potter crowd quieter.
No, wait, they'd condemn it anyway.

Well, she's a struggling Christian. Tolkien was a practicing Catholic and Lewis was an evangelistic and apologetic Christian. So, that wouldn't have helped. The second she started discussing the doubts and struggles she had, BAM... She'd have lost them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Tyrel » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:29 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Well, she's a struggling Christian. Tolkien was a practicing Catholic and Lewis was an evangelistic and apologetic Christian. So, that wouldn't have helped. The second she started discussing the doubts and struggles she had, BAM... She'd have lost them.

Unfortunately true. I've heard some silly arguments against the Harry Potter series.. Funny how nobody attacks the Lord of the Rings in the same fashion, because J.R.R. Tolkien, the devout Catholic he was, was the one who helped C.S.Lewis to become the devout evangelistic Anglican he was.

Oh well. People will be people.

But as to the whole question of Christmas within the Harry Potter series, I simply considered it a cultural slip, so to speak. I don't think J.K. Rowling had anything so deep in mind when she introduced the notion of Christmas holiday into the books. I simply think it was a part of her culture and the books reflect lots of that. Take any work of fiction and attempt to understand the universe completely comprehensively with anything and I think most works simply fall apart. This is because they aren't written to be anything more than fiction which we can relate to. Harry Potter is purposefully laced with elements which make the characters and the story easier to relate to. I think this was simply meant to be another one of those elements. Nothing more, nothing less.. I mean, if we take things to the extreme, then we get ridiculous things like transformers Fans arguing about why and how some bots are Male and others Female, and whether this relation is sexual or simply that of gender roles.

That's not intended to belittle the conversation, I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Tyrel

Postby minakichan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:09 am

I don't really see it as any different from when Japanese anime characters celebrate Christmas.

"Since when do Shinigami celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ?"
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Mist » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:48 am

minakichan (post: 1188169) wrote:I don't really see it as any different from when Japanese anime characters celebrate Christmas.

"Since when do Shinigami celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ?"

XD I burst out laughing when I first read that in the manga.

But concerning the topic, I agree with what has been mentioned before me. I doubt she meant anything deep by it. It's tradition, so she decided to include it in. It's the commercialized version that's in the book, anyway.

I was intrigued that she called it the Yule Ball, though. I found it funny, for some reason.

-Mist
Mist

Return to Book Corner