Who are your favorite horror writers?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Who are your favorite horror writers?

Postby rocklobster » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:05 pm

In honor of Halloween this month, let's find out who you think writes the best horror books and or movies.
I like Stephen King myself.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:29 am

Roald Dahl. He might not seem like a horror writer, what with James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, etc. But his short stories for adults are just spine-chilling. No wonder Alfred Hitchcock used so many of them in his short movies. My favorite Dahl story is "Man from the South."
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:52 pm

Edgar Allen Poe.Gotta go with the classics.
mitsuki lover

Postby Nikolai Melodie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:56 am

Stephen King is the master, really. The Shining actually really frightened me, because I am a Pansy XDD
:angel:
Nikolai Melodie

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:14 am

I think the best Stephen King novel was probably Cujo,nothing more
scary than a rabid St.Bernard.
mitsuki lover

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Lovecraft. Poe. Stephen King runs hot and cold -- I like some of his short stories, and occasionally a novel does well (like Pet Sematary), but not him exclusively.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:58 pm

There's a story in Maureen Birnbaum,Barbarian Swordsperson that is a rift on Lovecraft.
mitsuki lover

Postby Rocketshipper » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 am

Stephen King for me, definitly. I'm currently trying to read through all his books, in publishing order. I'm up to "Dance Macabre". I haven't really had much experience reading other horror novelists though. Usually I read the books that get turned into movies (Jurassic Park, Phantoms, Jaws, etc.) which is how I got introduced to reading King in the first place.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 pm

I'm with ClosetOtaku on this one. Stephen King's pretty good (I like many of his short stories, and of course the Dark Tower series, though that's "fantasy for grown-ups" than horror), but he has a tendency to be somewhat long-winded. H. P. Lovecraft, however, has yet to disappoint me. Some stories are better than others, but none are completely not worth reading.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:00 pm

H. P. Lovecraft...hands down.

King is just the stock answer everyone gives
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:38 am

:forehead: Okay, now I feel like a twit. Of course, Edgar Allen Poe! Seriously, "The Tell-Tale Heart" had me shivering for days after reading it! I really need to read more of his short stories, but I positively adore his poetry. My favorites are "Annabel Lee" and "The Raven."
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Danderson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:11 pm

Never read Stephen King, though I've heard He's good......
I'm not sure if G.P. Taylors stuff is horror, but that's the closest that I've ever gotten to reading horror.....
Danderson

Postby Maledicte » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:12 am

I like Peter Straub, but I find I like his less-horror books better than his actual horror novels.
Maledicte

Return to Book Corner