Edmund Spenser

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Edmund Spenser

Postby Icarus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:39 pm

I just bought an old copy of The Works of Spenser and was wondering if anyone had read it or anything by him?
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:20 pm

Not that I can think of at the moment.Although I have read several plays by his contemporary William Shakespeare.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:05 pm

I love Spenser; I've read the Faerie Queene, the Epithalamion, and a few of the Amoretti. Are there any of his works in particular you're planning on starting with?
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Icarus » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:23 pm

Since it's the first in the book, I started the Faerie Queene. This is the most excited I've been about a work in verse.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby JasonPratt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:04 pm

FQ is certainly good! Unfinished (Robert Jordan joins Spencer as being one of the relatively few authors who died without ending his work), but good!

I actually 'invented' the sonnet form Spencer uses in FQ, when I was in high school, without realizing it had been done before. Darn. {g} Amusing, though.

If you want extra fun, try dictating it to tape. Poetic epics simply rule when listened to in cars. (True, you could probably buy a recording somewhere, but why miss out on the fun of reading it yourself out loud?)
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Postby Kaori » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:28 am

It's true that he originally intended to write twelve books, not six, though I've head it argued that Spenser was artistically satisfied with the Faerie Queene after six books and decided that more wasn't needed. But it certainly isn't uncommon to die with an unfinished project--the same thing happened to Chaucer, Tyndale, Fitzgerald, and arguably Dostoyevsky.

The project of reading all of the Faerie Queene out loud and recording it sounds enjoyable, though it would also require massive amounts of time.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Return to Book Corner