The Chronicles of Prydain

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Chronicles of Prydain

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:37 am

Recently, Lloyd Alexander, who was a great writer, died at the age of 83. He is best known for his Newbery Award-winning series, The Chronicles of Prydain. Has anyone here read this series?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:24 am

I've read Alexander's Prydain. Good books, although I wish it'd been written with an older audience in mind.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Yeah, I've read them, although it has been a long time. I remember enjoying them quite a bit.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:23 pm

:rant: Yeah, I read them when I was twelve or so, and liked them immensely. After Lord of the Rings, they seemed much less epic but much more understandable to my young mind. I got so emotionally involved that I read the first four books in one week and moped about for a long time after finishing the final book, The High King. My favorite characters were Gurgi, Adaon, and Achren (a weird combination, but there you are). I particularly liked how The Book of Three ended, because I was expecting Taran to find out that he could use the black sword. And he tried, and wasn't able to. Back then, I thought that was the best twist I'd ever heard of! I also thought the romance between Eilonwy and Taran was sweet.

Anyway, The Prydain Chronicles greatly influenced my writing, and helped me develop one of my favorite characters of all of my stories.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:11 pm

The first book or so was made into the Disney animated film:The Black Cauldron.
mitsuki lover

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:26 am

...and it stunk. Horribly.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:49 am

mitsuki lover wrote:The first book or so was made into the Disney animated film:The Black Cauldron.

Second book, though they spliced element from both the second and first books.
Fish and Chips

Postby Icarus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:56 pm

I actually just reread the series, and enjoyed doing so.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby JasonPratt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Read it, oh, seven or eight years ago. Loved it at the time, still have a high opinion of it, only three or four things I can recall from the whole story though. (One of which is that I was apparently eating white corn tortillas and beef jerky while reading it, and loved every minute of it that much more consequently. Weird. {g})

One of these days when I finally burn through my stack of books-to-read (which grew unconscionably large while I was busy enjoying re-reading other things {wry g}), I want to go back and read it again.
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Return to Book Corner