Anybody heard of Avi?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Anybody heard of Avi?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Has anyone else ever read a book by the author Avi? I love his writing, his stand-alone books rising up amidst the sea of trilogies and outrageously long series.

The Avi books I've read so far are:
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Crispin: The Cross of Lead
Midnight Magic
The Book Without Words

Is anyone else an Avi fan?
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:24 pm

I've heard of him, but I've yet to read his books. He's certainly on the list of authors I should try sometime.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Taliesin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:59 pm

I have read many of Avi's books and liked most of them. The Christmas Rat was a VERY strange book so I wouldn't recommend it. But the true confession of charlotte doyle is one of my favorite of Avi's books
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:55 pm

the only book i've read by avi, is Crispin. i thought it was okay, but it wasn't as good as i thought it would be.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 am

I have also read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and although it is not my favorite books I really enjoyed it. The basic plot was not really all that original but the characters were fun and really got some nice depth built up to them.

I have also read Nothing But the Truth (I think he wrote that one) I really did not care for it when I read it and felt like I had wasted my time. But now that I'm older I look back and realize it was actually a clever satire on how stupid America is with how we get so fixated and stuck on something without even checking to see if it is accurrate. (The basic plot is a kid gets yelled at by his teacher when the class is listening to the pledge of Alligence. He claims innocence since he was saying the words along with the recording they were listening to. His parents and neighbors and local politicans turn it into a huge debate with the teacher. And well... I won't say anymore. XD

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:03 pm

Yes,I have heard of Avi.We have some of his books in the public library here.
mitsuki lover

Postby Aileen Kailum » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 pm

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is one of my favorite books. What I like is how his books sometimes tie together. In The Man Who Was Poe, someone talks about a ship called the Seahawk, which is the name of the ship in the True Confessions of Charlottle Doyle. Two kids climb around the wreck of a ship that has the same description as the Seahawk in another one of his books--the name of which completely escapes me at the moment.

I read Nothing But the Truth a few months ago. I didn't like it until the last page. The last sentence, actually. In my opinion, the last sentence made the book.

So, yeah, I'm an Avi fan. (Although The Christmas Rat was a weird book.)
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Alice » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Well, I was at the library today and remembered seeing this thread, so I picked up The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. I'll give it a try later.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 am

Christmas Rat was really weird. I third that.
Midnight Magic was interesting and very dramatic. It's about a 15th-Century magician's assistant trying to rid a well known royal family's castle from ghosts. This book is very interesting but be forewarned it does contain a heavy amount of occult-ish themes, concepts, and images.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:16 am

Hmm. I'll have to check out this Christmas Rat everyone's talking about, to see what's so weird about it.

And Aileen Kailum, someone once said (I can't remember who it was) that every author wishes their first sentence to be read in light of the last sentence, and vice versa.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:48 pm

I was straightening shelves at the library today before coming home and across from where I was working they had CRISPIN on dsiplay.
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner