A little bit of help needed finding a short story...

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

A little bit of help needed finding a short story...

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:54 pm

There is this short story I once read, and I would like to read it again. It was in a school textbook, if I remember correctly. I don't remember all the details about it, but it was about and elderly couple who did something (I don't remember what) and made a wish that they would never be apart, so in the end they both passed away at the same time, and I think they turned into trees...I don't have any idea what it was called or anything.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm fairly sure that's the myth of Philemon and Baucis.

They offer hospitality to gods in human form when no one else will, so they are granted any wish. They ask to die at the same moment so neither will ever be apart from the other. After death they become two trees that intertwine. Does that sound like it? With the name you can probably find the text of it online.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:04 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm fairly sure that's the myth of Philemon and Baucis.

They offer hospitality to gods in human form when no one else will, so they are granted any wish. They ask to die at the same moment so neither will ever be apart from the other. After death they become two trees that intertwine. Does that sound like it? With the name you can probably find the text of it online.

Yeah, that's it, if my memory serves me correctly. I've read a few times.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:22 am

I believe that is it. Two strangers come to their door and they offer them hospitality? I think that's it.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:38 pm

The Greek myth of Philemon and Baucis.The two strangers were the Gods Zeus and
Mercury(yeah I know that's his Roman name but I can't remember the Greek name right now).
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner