Can anyone recommend some good books?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Can anyone recommend some good books?

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:44 pm

I don't really care what they are, so long as they are entertaining. I need a good book. However, I like Sci-fi, stories with romance, though I don't know that I'd like a complete romance story, and just generally entertaining things.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Puritan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:54 pm

Let's see...good Sci-Fi. I would recommend "Starship Troopers" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" By Robert Heinlein, "The Mote in God's Eye" By Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven (note, despite the title, this isn't weird religious science fiction, it's good solid sci-fi, and the church (on Anglican or Catholic lines) actually has a reasonable and respectable role), "The Foundation Trilogy" by Asimov is classic, "Dune" is good, and the David Weber "Honor Harrington" books are great as well. The Eisenhorn Trilogy by Dan Abnett is also pretty good (though it's Warhammer 40,000 fluff, it's fun sci-fi).
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Kaori » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:16 pm

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel. It's extremely engaging and thought-provoking, and it deals with Christianity and some weighty spiritual issues even though the author is not a Christian herself. It also has a bit of a love story on the side.

Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep, by Phillip K. Dick. This one doesn't have any romance per se, but it's still a great read.

Some of Heinlein's writing is good; I would recommend The Door into Summer and Have Space Suit, Will Travel. Both are light reading with some romance involved, and are significantly more innocent than some of Heinlein's other books.

Fool's Run, by Patricia McKillip, is another lighter read. McKillip usually writes fantasy, but she does fairly well with the sci-fi genre in this book. This is another one that has a romance sub-plot.

Also, I second Dune.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Taliesin » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:57 am

I third Dune (motion carried) and also suggest (like I always do) Ender's game! and all of its sequels and prequels and in-between-quels
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby Saj » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:07 am

I tend to lean towards fantasy books, so id suggest Eragon, Eldest, LoTR, the Hobbit and the Dragon world series.

In scfi id say Battlefield earth is a great book. Its loooooong but its a great story (the movie of course does it no justice). If you a star wars fan, Shadows of the empire is a decent read, but short if you read like me.

and yea, ill forth Dune even no i never finished it.(i should be shot for that)
" ...to walk on water."

" In exchange for our humility and willingness to accept the charity of God, we are given a kingdom. And a beggars's kingdom is better than a proud man's delusion. " -- Donald Miller on Grace

Never going to let you down.
Saj

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Sci Fi:Have Space Suit Will Travel by Robert Heinlein,The Green Hills of Earth(short story collection)by Robert Heinlein,The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury,Foundation series by Isaac Asimov,I,Robot by Isaac Asimov,Pathways(Star Trek:Voyager novel)by Jeri Taylor,The Time Machine by H.G.Wells,The Invisible Man by H.G.Wells,The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll And Mr.Hyde by Robert
Louis Stevenson,War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells,Brave New World by Aldous Huxley,etc.
Fantasy:Villians by Necessity by Eve Forward,Maureen Birmbaum Barbarian Swordsperson by George Alec Effinger(a real hoot as he parodies all sorts of Sci Fi,Horror and Fantasy),The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis,Til We Have Faces by
C.S.Lewis,The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien,Witch of the North
by Courtway Jones,Firelord by Parke Godwin(both about Arthur),That Hideous Strength by C.S.Lewis,etc.
mitsuki lover

Postby Destroyer2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks. I've heard good things about the Dune series, and this seems to confirm it, haha.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Maledicte » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:57 am

Dune: even though I never got past God-Emperor of Dune. The first three books are amazing though.

I also liked the Machine War prequel trilogy to Dune. While not up to standard to Frank's, I think the story holds up well.

For cyberpunk, I'd recommend Carlucci by Richard Paul Russo (also in separate books as Destroying Angel, Carlucci's Edge and Carlucci's Heart). I don't even like cyberpunk but the mysteries and characters in these books made me give.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Yes, the one they made the TV series about. The books are separate from the series but are in my opinion much better. If you like urban fantasy (fantasy set in modern-day), or find the idea interesting, give these a shot.

If you can find the Empyrion books by Stephen Lawhead, I suggest you get them. (I got mine as a one-volume omnibus) Unusual and well-written, and the author is a Christian, too.

(I don't read a lot of sci-fi...)
Maledicte

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:03 pm

Try the Warriors and Warriors: The New Prophecy series by Erin Hunter. these books are awesome. good characterization and development, excellent plot and nice plot twists, and a whole lot of action. don't let the fact that this book revolves around cats stop you from checking it out.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby narutofreak » Wed May 02, 2007 4:40 am

Firebird Trilogy By:Kathy Tyers, Legends of the Guardian King series by: Karen Hancock and Arena by the same author!
narutofreak

Postby Icarus » Wed May 02, 2007 7:22 am

*seconds Dresden*

Seriously, Butcher is my favorite author right now.

If you care for interstellar/geo-political fantasy/sci-fi, check out L.E. Modesitt, Jr. He has some pretty good stuff, like The Parafaith War and The Ethos Effect
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Return to Book Corner