One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Postby Puguni » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:44 pm

I had to read this book for English, and I'm actually impressed with it. Anyone else read it? Any thoughts?
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:58 pm

This is a book I enjoyed significantly. Probably more than most of the classics that students are made to read in schools, anyway. The characters struck me as authentic, the story explored worthwhile themes, and the neurotic writing style was interesting.

Also, the chapter where they're playing Monopoly is very funny.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:24 pm

I started to but couldn't get into it.
mitsuki lover

Postby Puguni » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:35 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:This is a book I enjoyed significantly. Probably more than most of the classics that students are made to read in schools, anyway. The characters struck me as authentic, the story explored worthwhile themes, and the neurotic writing style was interesting.

Also, the chapter where they're playing Monopoly is very funny.

I'm glad I got to read it too. Why did you think the Monopoly part was funny? I'm just curious]
I started to but couldn't get into it.
[/quote]

It gets much better once you've gotten past part one. I thought the same way until I read the twist that hooked me. :D
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:27 pm

[quote="Puguni"]I'm glad I got to read it too. Why did you think the Monopoly part was funny? I'm just curious]
The characters are all being rather random and it is written in a whimsical fashion. I found the overall jumble of lines amusing, especially the occasional line that takes you off guard (like one of the men is attempting to eat some of the pieces). I'm fairly certain Kesey intended it to be humorous, anyway.

As for why... I guess it would be to highlight the human side of the characters. In humor we tend to identify with others and realize that they're very much like us. And he could well have done it just to be funny, too.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Jack Nicholson was the one who made the story famous with his portrayal of the main character in the movie version.
"Oh..Nurse Cratchit!"
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner