Wisdom of the Sadhu

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Wisdom of the Sadhu

Postby oro! » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:23 pm

I picked up this book of Sundar Singh a couple of weeks ago, and I must say I love his style. Basically, the book is divided into two sections: parables using hindu terms(that are actually Christian) and questions and answers. He writes in a way that is simple, but gets the point across, like Jesus did. He has an amazing, redemptive story that I think any person should pick up, especially Hindus. Has anyone else read any of this man's writings?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby itch » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:25 pm

Sundar huh? Actually, I've never heard of him. Could you name other books of his so I could choose one to look into?
itch

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:48 pm

Wow! He left a book? He's been one of my favorite Chrsitians since I read about him in Jesus Freaks Vol. II. I'm going to have to get a hold of this. Thanks for the heads up!

For those of you who don't know who he is, he was training to be a sadhu (Hindu priest) a became a Christian. He decided that if the Gospel was become relevant to Hindus, the idea that one had to become like a Britisher to be a Christian (clothing, culture, etc.) had to be abandoned. He decided to become a sadhu for Christ, and went from house to house with no money, no food, no shoes (he became known as the Apostle of the Beeding Feet) and no guarantees, just like the original apostles and like a sadhu. He was thrown out, beaten, but kept going. He even began going to Buddhist countries knowing they were hostile enough to kill him because he was preaching the Gospel because no one else was going, and was killed in the mission field after decades of work. It's specualted the the church in india exists today largely because of him.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Here's an interesting article I read a few years ago by CS Lewis scholar and occasional theologist Kathryn Lindskoog that covers George MacDonald and CS Lewis, but is for the most past about Sadhu Sindar Singh. Enjoy.

Lindentree
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Return to Book Corner